How Can I Tell If My Starter Clutch Is Bad? - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

How Can I Tell If My Starter Clutch Is Bad?

The ATV AnswerMan helps a reader with a Yamaha Raptor 660 with clutch issues

How can I tell if my starter clutch is bad? Thatís what one of our readers has asked the ATV AnswerMan about his Yamaha Raptor 660.

This is exactly what the reader asked the ATV AnswerMan, followed by his answer:

My starter clutch went completely out. My question is when it started to go out will there be a power loss of torque, or would that be a clutch going bad issue? Clutch still locks when in gear, but didnít have any take off power and moved like someone was hand pushing it. Also is there an easy way to find out if starter clutch is bad or if I sheared the woodruff key, yes there was some metal in the case Cover but none in the oil.

Check out the answer here: http://www.atv.com/blog/2017/04/can-...lutch-bad.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:17 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Your starter clutch can be tested by trying to rotate it in both directions. It will turn one direction, and lock up the other direction. If your motor starts every time without problems, it's prolly good.

Your clutch slipping can be as easy as needing to be adjusted. Check the lever on the motor clutch case, You want about 1/18in free play. You'll need to adjust the cable and lever on the bars to get the free play. Your manual explains how.

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 11:1 CP, +5 HR CRANK, PC3, +2 TB, LONE STAR XC +1, +1 A-ARMS, HD TIE RODS, JOGACA REAR SHOCK, ASV LEVERS, +4 REAR AXLE, DR.D REVERSE, ODI GRIPS, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode