Raptor Forum banner

Five Best Motor Oil Options for ATVs and UTVs

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Mad Dog 
#1 ·

Don't just put anything into your off-road vehicle

Motor oil is just motor oil, right? Wrong! Your ATV or UTV requires motor oil just like any other motorized vehicle, but any oil just doesn’t cut it. These machines run at higher RPM, work harder and run harder than your truck does, so specialized oils are definitely called for. What separates motor sports oil from common stuff off the shelf? It’s all about what goes into the blend. Let’s take a look at five of the best motor oil products for your off-road fun.

Check out the article here: http://www.atv.com/blog/2017/06/five-best-motor-oil-options-atvs-utvs.html

See less See more
#2 ·
Yup, easy enough. I run the yamalube in all of my machines except for my personal Raptor. Its Amsoil for its belly.

Still plenty of other options not in this article that a lot of guys run.

#3 ·
In the past I have just run Mobil 1 4 stroke synthetic because it's available everywhere and I don't typically have the foresight to always carry extra with me.

But really that's probably overkill and by the time I actually "wear out" and engine due to age I likely will have rebuilt it for more power anyway. I'm not sure I'm sold on engine oil, at least if it's of a basic level of quality, having all that much impact on things unless you intend on riding many thousands of miles on the same internals or you have a very high performance set of upgrades.

Petrochemicals are a commodity and it takes a lot to differentiate them in a crowded market with numerous substitutes that are almost all capable of a reasonable level of performance and provide similar longevity.

IMO what's more important by far is the nature of the maintenance, ensuring that you're changing on regular intervals and keeping a clean filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.