Complete beginner overwhelmed where to start - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Complete beginner overwhelmed where to start

I grew up riding quads but sold mine before going away to college. When I travel I am always looking for atv tours in foreign countries its something I have really enjoyed. Now in my 30s I am looking to get back into the hobby but I am overwhelmed where to start. Please excuse me if this is not the appropriate place to post and if there is a better place to start I would greatly appreciate it. I have a ton of beginner questions and would first like to reeducate myself but this forum didnt seem beginner friendly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 01:05 PM

Garage
i would say start with what are you looking for? how much are you realistically going to ride, what type of environment are you going to be riding? will you need a sport quad or 4 wheel drive? do you have friends that ride? if so what do they ride and will yall ride together? what type of budget are you on? i think those are some of the questions i asked myself.
DIRTYMUNOZ likes this.

06 700 se
+2 Alba A arms
+1 Houser ant-vibe stem
Fasst Flexx bars
Precision Pro stabilizer
long travel yfz shocks redone by Jogca
oem rear shock redone by Jogca
GBC XC-Masters
Big Gun Exo duals
FCI intake w/box
PC5 w/ignition
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

I have always enjoyed sport quads more than utility. I am 6-2 260lbs but losing so im on the larger end for a Raptor 700 but I think its probably the best fit. I had a Suzuki 230 that I outgrew but it gave me experience with a clutch. On the downside are limited knowledge of engines but comfortable doing most routine maintenance. My biggest question marks were where to ride and who to ride with. I am in Central NJ so Eastern PA and Upstate NY are my best options but I haven't researched much. Im hoping to ride something like 10 weekends a year.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 03:00 PM

Garage
the raptor 700 is a pretty reliable machine with plenty of power to get ya going even at 260lbs. my buddy is a pretty big dude 6.5 and close to 300 and he used to have a 450r and it looked like donkey kong from mario kart haha. ive had mine for 4 years now and have only done routine maintenance other than rewiring it. you will learn some doing your own work to it if you dont mind turning a wrench.

06 700 se
+2 Alba A arms
+1 Houser ant-vibe stem
Fasst Flexx bars
Precision Pro stabilizer
long travel yfz shocks redone by Jogca
oem rear shock redone by Jogca
GBC XC-Masters
Big Gun Exo duals
FCI intake w/box
PC5 w/ignition
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 03:05 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent701 View Post
I grew up riding quads but sold mine before going away to college. When I travel I am always looking for atv tours in foreign countries its something I have really enjoyed. Now in my 30s I am looking to get back into the hobby but I am overwhelmed where to start. Please excuse me if this is not the appropriate place to post and if there is a better place to start I would greatly appreciate it. I have a ton of beginner questions and would first like to reeducate myself but this forum didnt seem beginner friendly.
I would agree a Raptor 700 would be a good fit for you. They are a larger frame for us bigger people. Now would be a good time of the year to find 700's in the $2000-$5000 range depending on the year. They did a motor change in '15 to a single port exhaust and a little more compression. Other then shocks and graphics, they are the same from '06-'20.

As for where to ride and who to ride with will come with time. Go to a riding spot and introduce yourself and ask if you can tag along.

As far as beginner friendly, we all had to start somewhere and there is no such thing as a stupid question. There are repetitive question so it's best to Google them on the forum first. For the last 2 months we are helping a guy in the UK rebuild his Raptor 660 and having lots of problems to work thru. Bolts with stripped heads, frozen piston pin, stripped threads, tools breaking, and more. All are being addressed and worked thru.

What is discouraging on this forum is a new person that asks a question, gets 2 or 3 answers, forgets and never comes back.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.
morphrider and ian77 like this.

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Can a mod move this over to the intro thread. May get more eyeballs over there. I did not see it on the list of forum topics.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 02:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent701 View Post
Can a mod move this over to the intro thread. May get more eyeballs over there. I did not see it on the list of forum topics.
Got you covered Brent, welcome to the forum.

The guys have given you good info and we hope you let us know what route you go regardless of what you choose. Between all of us on here we have had extensive rides in our stables at various times in our lives and can provide all kinds of info.

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion,
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

The local dealer is going to call me when they have a 700r in stock for me to sit on. Most recently I rode on a Honda Rincon but felt like something was missing without the clutch but that being said I havent used a quad with a clutch since 2004. I dont have anywhere to ride locally and dont know anyone in the hobby. Ideally I find somewhere close to practice on before hitting the trails several hours away by myself for the first time on such a powerful machine.

Need to figure out the storage logistics next as I live in a townhouse with a small 2 car garage but its a tight fit. Then trailer for transport.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Found a a mesh 5x8 utility trailer. Unfortunately going to need a 10x15 storage unit for that. Costs are already piling and I havent even bought the quad
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 03:18 PM

Garage
Just wait until you ride one then decide to mod for more power, then the cost is even more, lol.

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion,
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode