Losing Places to Ride, Are you concerned?? - Page 2 - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 04:34 PM

Re: Losing Places to Ride, Are you concerned??

We were talking about this the other day.

We haven't had any uncle sam places closed (even though they try).....

When I was in middle school, I remember reading articles in Dirt Wheels about losing riding areas. I remember thinking to myself, "They're crazy, there are all kinds of places to ride." Well, I was too young to realize they weren't meaning the 3 acre patch of woods behind my house, they were meaning large, designated areas. Recently, with some land acquisitions some of our areas are in question, now.

SUB454 waits for NO ONE! .....even after all this time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Not a lot of action on this thread so far, but I want to keep it in the line of sight for all of us who ride 'cos the tide is coming in, however slowly it may seem where you are.
If you meet someone, & it gets talked about, post the discussion here
If you see something happening somewhere post it here again
good & bad, inform us all, if its not good, we'll lend our support, if it is good, then pass it on so those who may seem to be loosing out can try to use your gain as leverage to help in their fight.

If you live in an area that is loosing places to ride, try to put together some info on what has happened in the last 5-10 years, what is the land being used for now,who owns it, what other groups have lost out?

If an area is NOT built out, NOT set aside as a nature reserve, NOT being farmed then lets look at it & see if there are ways that access could be opened up.
Regardless of weather it is private or public land, access can be granted if the right approach is taken & sufficient "encouragement" can be bought to bear by as many interest groups as possible, working together.

Think about it

2003 Raptor 660LE
727cc
105mm 14.5:1 CP piston
X-4 cam & no decomp
39mm FCR's
HV ported Willykiller 3-Plug head
Ferrea SS Valves
Custom In-Frame Duals
GYTR Clutch

Faast Flexx Bars
Custom +3+1 A-Arms
CCP Steering Damper (I must post a thread on how to....)
450 Front Calipers
+2 Extended Swingarm
G-Force Axle & Hubs.
Axis Pro-Air Shocks
Tusk Nerfs
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonz
Are you concerned about the shrinking number of places to ride your Quad?
Do the local MX tracks allow you to ride there?
Are you being shut out of woodlands & recreational areas?

I asked Maddog about this & this wa sa part of his reply:
"When I was growing up on motorcycles there were literally dozens of places to ride within a half hour drive of my hometown. Now I've got to travel more than an hour from there to ride a small, rough, ungroomed trail system that's been partially closed for 3 years because of "clean up". Now that I've moved to another state I'm even more unhappy with the riding conditions. There are very few places to ride unless you choose to run an mx track and the few areas you can ride at require daily permits to do so. I've seen the situation change dramatically and quickly over my relatively short lifespan, I think it's moving quite fast and the sport is in serious danger."

The aim of this topic is to ask:
1/ Do you care?
2/ Are you prepared to be proactive to save the places you like to ride from being closed to you?
3/ What POSITIVE ideas do you have to try & save our sport?
4/ Are you or any of your friends willing/interested to start some kind of dialog with other Motorcycle groups to save the sport of motorcycling & quading from being legislated out of existence?

Regards

Phil (aka Dragonz)
1) Hell yes I care
2) I already voulenteer with my local club to keep the trail areas clean and groomed as nessasary (1 Day a month)
3) I think we could learn from the fishing and hunting clubs and promote family riding, safety, and sport equally
4) yes, I'm intrested, but don't know where to start

Good thread buddy!
Aaron

Maddog's trailer loading coach
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
this is a HUGE problem in florida, thats why im moving to oregon soon lol
There use to be good riding spots in florida but i dont know what happed. I remember when the Compound in Palm Bay use to open, know you have to sneek your quad in and if you get caught your looking at a big tickiet.
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorrider34
Georgia caters to dirtbikes! i have yet to ride at a place i consider "quad-friendly". Every place has rutted out trails that never get groomed, and the only thing they ever do to the trails is add jumps that take up the whole road and get unlevel within one day so they throw you sideways and all that junk. Not to mention the place called BROAD RIVER ATV only allows quads on their track every other weekend and never on weekdays. Really what i want is for places to actually consider everyone riding at their facility not just the dirtbikes. And, GROOM YOUR TRAILS!!! THE MX TRACKS ARE NOT THE ONLY THING THAT GETS YOU BUSINESS! Instead of having six loaders and dozers on one track how about using some of your equipment on the trails. I like a groomed track but id trade it any day of the week for a nice trail that doesnt have random holes on high speed sections.
I agree with everything you just said. I really think the big problem is down here is that quads get a bad rap from all the big 4x4 going off the trail and ripping the shit out of things. I love when you see 4x4 guys just riping the shit out of stuff and thinking its cool. What I really mean is that they are dumbasses. The same problem happened in Minnesota on the river bottoms. Its great to go out to Rocky Creek and see 4 year olds riding 750 Brute Forces around the parking lot when there parents are drinking a beer watching. I love to see people out on the trail with no helmets on holding the throttle with one hand and having a beer in the other when the riding area has posted sign helmets mandatory and no alcohol. The best thing is when you go to a riding area and see all the trash laying around because of people are to lazy to pick up after themselves. This is one of the main reason riding areas are getting closed, because of ignorant people. Everybody wants to have a good time riding but people don't need to take riding areas for granted.
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Well it keeps happening!
One of the beach access roads has been blocked off by the forrestry workers.
40' log 2-3' in diameter across the top of the track through the dunes, dug in each end.
Lucky the wind has been so high as to maske it visible by moving the sand, otherwise could be a killer if someone going for it to try to get over.

Looks likle a possible battle looming between the forestry & the 4x4's & bikes.
Time to put my money where my mouth is & start doing something about it.
Will keep you all posted.

2003 Raptor 660LE
727cc
105mm 14.5:1 CP piston
X-4 cam & no decomp
39mm FCR's
HV ported Willykiller 3-Plug head
Ferrea SS Valves
Custom In-Frame Duals
GYTR Clutch

Faast Flexx Bars
Custom +3+1 A-Arms
CCP Steering Damper (I must post a thread on how to....)
450 Front Calipers
+2 Extended Swingarm
G-Force Axle & Hubs.
Axis Pro-Air Shocks
Tusk Nerfs
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 02:34 PM

I have lost access to several good trail systems in the last few yrs within an hour from our house because of 4x4's keeping the trails so torn up and rutted out Our favorite trail to ride on now is only three hrs from the house and it has come close to shutting down several times in the past year
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 02:53 PM

are most of these placed that close up government owned?

SUB454 waits for NO ONE! .....even after all this time!
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 03:34 PM

In MI most of them are already closed... Silver Lake is the last hoorah. If it's not private property... then it must be goverment owned. In the private property sector... $$ talks, but getting people to put up the $$ is the problem too. Then it comes down to bikes vs. quads. The indoor areanas and such are kinda pricks... they tend to strongly favor the bikes... they only let quads in few days a year!!!

07' 727
port and sleeved, o-ringed 105mm - Velociraptor
2mm TB - KDS
Dynatec Ignition
Dobeck Gen lll TFI
Texas Quad Intake
+8 SLC ladder bar swinger
LC-1 o2 sensor
Custom ~
Bumper
BADA guards
parts from TQS
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Raptor Rider
are most of these placed that close up government owned?
Two of our favorite places to ride at were government owned property....the last placed that was closed down was because a certain atv club kept trespassing on one of the Corp. of Engineers private roads and kept it all rutted up so bad that the Corp. couldn't drive their 4x4 trucks down it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode