Losing Places to Ride, Are you concerned?? - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Losing Places to Ride, Are you concerned??

Are you concerned about the shrinking number of places to ride your Quad?
Do the local MX tracks allow you to ride there?
Are you being shut out of woodlands & recreational areas?

I asked Maddog about this & this wa sa part of his reply:
"When I was growing up on motorcycles there were literally dozens of places to ride within a half hour drive of my hometown. Now I've got to travel more than an hour from there to ride a small, rough, ungroomed trail system that's been partially closed for 3 years because of "clean up". Now that I've moved to another state I'm even more unhappy with the riding conditions. There are very few places to ride unless you choose to run an mx track and the few areas you can ride at require daily permits to do so. I've seen the situation change dramatically and quickly over my relatively short lifespan, I think it's moving quite fast and the sport is in serious danger."

The aim of this topic is to ask:
1/ Do you care?
2/ Are you prepared to be proactive to save the places you like to ride from being closed to you?
3/ What POSITIVE ideas do you have to try & save our sport?
4/ Are you or any of your friends willing/interested to start some kind of dialog with other Motorcycle groups to save the sport of motorcycling & quading from being legislated out of existence?

Regards

Phil (aka Dragonz)

2003 Raptor 660LE
727cc
105mm 14.5:1 CP piston
X-4 cam & no decomp
39mm FCR's
HV ported Willykiller 3-Plug head
Ferrea SS Valves
Custom In-Frame Duals
GYTR Clutch

Faast Flexx Bars
Custom +3+1 A-Arms
CCP Steering Damper (I must post a thread on how to....)
450 Front Calipers
+2 Extended Swingarm
G-Force Axle & Hubs.
Axis Pro-Air Shocks
Tusk Nerfs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Re: Losing Places to Ride, Are you concerned??

Guess no-one gives a shit!
Thought there might be a few of you out there prepared to stick ya neck out a little & think about something other than ragging eachother (not that I can talk.........)

Heres some quotes from recent posts:
"I have checked into at least 10 of the MX tracks in my area and not one of them allows quads!"

"Snowmobilers are much better organized that atv/mx riders and they've experienced restrictions on 2 strokes in national parks and other areas. But they still have 2 stroke machines coming out every year."

Are you willing to just let your right to ride be slowly eroded away from under you?

2003 Raptor 660LE
727cc
X-4 cam & no decomp
39mm FCR's
Ferrea SS Valves
Custom In-Frame Duals
GYTR Clutch

Faast Flexx Bars
Custom +3+1 A-Arms
450 Front Calipers
+2 Extended Swingarm
G-Force Axle & Hubs.
Axis Pro-Air Shocks
Tusk Nerfs
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 03:26 PM

I myself haven't noticed any larger trail systems being shut down in my area, There is a local MX track that has nights set aside for quads, as far as space in general for riding, my quad is parked at my parents house where there's plenty of land to ride... I guess I'm not totally sure/aware of land being closed off from riding?

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

"Cowards die many times before their deaths, The valiant never taste of death but once."
post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 05:26 PM

this is a HUGE problem in florida, thats why im moving to oregon soon lol
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 06:24 PM

HUGE problem in Michigan as well.

Atv Offroad Club of Michigan
http://www.atvoffroad.net

Mike

Photobucket is trash now, use something else.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Rebel

This is kinda a problem for my area but cops in my area are to lazy todo anyting about it... All I know is that if you go riding and break down or get stuck, you CAN NOT leave your quad to get help or go to your truck. People are freaks here in the south, you can be gone for 3 minutes and when you come back your quad is either gone or somewhat resembles a quad. I don't plan to ride by myself until I can "carry" when I turn 21.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 06:43 PM

I have riden on private land since child hood. When I moved into my current house, we rode on the powerlines for about 5 years... recently there have been propety stakes popping up all down the line!!! Last time I went out the Police were there!!! I think they tried to flag me down... but I didn't stop. As of the last few weeks, an all out duner quad doesn't seem to off course anymore!!! I always said I wouldn't do that cause I LOVE to ride trails, but I ride sand more than dirt with the loss of my local trails. Next they'll shut the dunes down and I'll sell my baby and buy a tree so I can hug that I guess. Michigan does have alot of riding ground but it's at least a 2 hour ride North for me. With a familay and all it's hard to dedicate an entire day to ride. The local trails were great cause I could just ride for an hour or so and go home.

07' 727
port and sleeved, o-ringed 105mm - Velociraptor
2mm TB - KDS
Dynatec Ignition
Dobeck Gen lll TFI
Texas Quad Intake
+8 SLC ladder bar swinger
LC-1 o2 sensor
Custom ~
Bumper
BADA guards
parts from TQS
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 06:43 PM

I also don't know of any land that has been closed to atv's in my area, and I don't even know where a MX track is. The only land I've ever heard about being closed is at pismo and silver lake and the land had been closed for a few years already.

here is what you asked.
The aim of this topic is to ask:
1/ Do you care? =yes
2/ Are you prepared to be proactive to save the places you like to ride from being closed to you? =yes
3/ What POSITIVE ideas do you have to try & save our sport? =none, i wouldn't know where to start
4/ Are you or any of your friends willing/interested to start some kind of dialog with other Motorcycle groups to save the sport of motorcycling & quading from being legislated out of existence? =yes

ok, so I've answred those questions, but now My question is, what can we do to help out? if someone comes up with a plan that makes sence and needs help, i'm all in, but i have no idea what i would do or could do to stop it, especially since it's not happing in my area.. it's a great topic to start, but what can we do...?

<br />2006 700R<br />LTE Duals, Pro-Design K&amp;N intake, PC3, 15T, Pro-Taper Raptor bend<br />Adapt/IMS graphics, CR8EIX, 07 black rims, Spider Grips, AMS Sidewinders, GYTR A-arm guards, GYTR brake pedal, 07 seat cover, Acerbis hand guards, PRM grab bar, Pro armor bumper, MSR shorty clutch perch, DRR grip its&#039;, BADA Grill
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Nick
here is what you asked.
1/ Do you care? =yes
2/ Are you prepared to be proactive to save the places you like to ride from being closed to you? =yes
3/ What POSITIVE ideas do you have to try & save our sport? =none, i wouldn't know where to start
4/ Are you or any of your friends willing/interested to start some kind of dialog with other Motorcycle groups to save the sport of motorcycling & quading from being legislated out of existence? =yes

ok, so I've answred those questions, but now My question is, what can we do to help out? if someone comes up with a plan that makes sence and needs help, i'm all in, but i have no idea what i would do or could do to stop it, especially since it's not happing in my area.. it's a great topic to start, but what can we do...?

[/quote]
That what this thread is really about.
Asking for ideas & suggestions.
This is the ground floor, we're all looking for a place to start.

I believe (despite our best efforts in the BS threads) that we are a group of intelligent people who collectively can come up with plans to:
1/ prevent losing our places to ride
2/ prevent those that 'govern' us from outlawing our toys
3/ build links to other recreational vehicle groups (MX, Roadbikes, 4x4, other?) to build a stronger voice
4/ With the help of the above groups, possibly even open up new or formerly closed off areas for all to drive/use/ride in.

I will try to keep this thread on the first page, so it get seen.
Post your ideas, comments suggestions

I will then try to collate what you put up, & then we can possibly start to build an action plan from there to suit wherever it is that you live/ride.
I had one which is based round getting dialog going with local MX (& even RV) clubs.

2003 Raptor 660LE
727cc
X-4 cam & no decomp
39mm FCR's
Ferrea SS Valves
Custom In-Frame Duals
GYTR Clutch

Faast Flexx Bars
Custom +3+1 A-Arms
450 Front Calipers
+2 Extended Swingarm
G-Force Axle & Hubs.
Axis Pro-Air Shocks
Tusk Nerfs
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 08:14 PM

Georgia caters to dirtbikes! i have yet to ride at a place i consider "quad-friendly". Every place has rutted out trails that never get groomed, and the only thing they ever do to the trails is add jumps that take up the whole road and get unlevel within one day so they throw you sideways and all that junk. Not to mention the place called BROAD RIVER ATV only allows quads on their track every other weekend and never on weekdays. Really what i want is for places to actually consider everyone riding at their facility not just the dirtbikes. And, GROOM YOUR TRAILS!!! THE MX TRACKS ARE NOT THE ONLY THING THAT GETS YOU BUSINESS! Instead of having six loaders and dozers on one track how about using some of your equipment on the trails. I like a groomed track but id trade it any day of the week for a nice trail that doesnt have random holes on high speed sections.

im not just sure, im HIV positive!<br /><br />07 YFZ450:<br />-Motoworks SR4<br />-K&amp;N xtreme power lid<br />-Pro design killswitch<br />-Pro armor dominator bumper (black)<br />-Pro Armor Fat Peg Nerfs (black)<br />-tusk Blue gas cap<br />-Pro taper bar pad<br />

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode