Diesel truck hunt - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Diesel truck hunt

Well, looking at some Cummins tomorrow for better towing power. No issues with my 2500 Chevy 6.0 on the flats towing stuff but when I hit the hills with my toyhauler I really feel the lack of grunt. I have the 4:10 gears but only 360lbs torque whereas the 05-09 Diesels I am looking at are at that 650lb torque range, which will be noticeable I do believe. Spent hours yesterday looking on line and it's crazy the price they ask for these when they have around 200,000 miles on them. It's around $15,000 in Colorado. I am going to start off looking at one from a dealer that is a 2 owner 2005 Cummins with the 5.9 with only 112,000 on it. Asking $23k but I want to haggle them to right around $20k with cash down. Duramax is sooo pricey it's unreal, plus I am picky on the interior. I need the fold up center seat for my "navigator" (our doggo) which most duramax don't have from what I am seeing.

The struggle is real....
DEZPERADO and 4stroker4life like this.

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion,
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 08:18 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphrider View Post
Well, looking at some Cummins tomorrow for better towing power. No issues with my 2500 Chevy 6.0 on the flats towing stuff but when I hit the hills with my toyhauler I really feel the lack of grunt. I have the 4:10 gears but only 360lbs torque whereas the 05-09 Diesels I am looking at are at that 650lb torque range, which will be noticeable I do believe. Spent hours yesterday looking on line and it's crazy the price they ask for these when they have around 200,000 miles on them. It's around $15,000 in Colorado. I am going to start off looking at one from a dealer that is a 2 owner 2005 Cummins with the 5.9 with only 112,000 on it. Asking $23k but I want to haggle them to right around $20k with cash down. Duramax is sooo pricey it's unreal, plus I am picky on the interior. I need the fold up center seat for my "navigator" (our doggo) which most duramax don't have from what I am seeing.

The struggle is real....

Have you got about 15 hours for a drive back from Kellogg Idaho to save lots of money. Call "Dave Smith Motors" for internet pricing. I saved thousands on my last new truck. They paid for my flight there, shuttled me from the airport, (put some people up in a motel for the night), test drove, signed papers, fed me BBQ and I was on the way home in the early afternoon with a full tank of fuel.
morphrider and Beard_lyfe like this.

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sure for the price of brand new, all dealers should do that, lol.

[U]2006 raptor 700

RacersEdge +3TB
68HP 49TQ

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 08:31 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Quote:
Sure for the price of brand new, all dealers should do that, lol.
NOPE, not that I found!

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Went and looked at an 07 Dodge mega cab that had the 5.9 with full Banks after market stuff on it. Test drove it for a short run. Really need to test drive more to see what I want. Didn't seem to impress me like my brothers 6.7. Looked at 5 others the same year and didn't even ask for the keys, didn't like what I saw just sitting there.

Wife seen the megacab on line and said to buy it, it looked pretty. I am way too picky to buy pretty, I want my monies worth whatever I get.

She also seems to think I need to buy one this week, I have plenty of time before spring.
4stroker4life likes this.

[U]2006 raptor 700

RacersEdge +3TB
68HP 49TQ

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Went and looked at an 07 Dodge mega cab that had the 5.9 with full Banks after market stuff on it. Test drove it for a short run. Really need to test drive more to see what I want. Didn't seem to impress me like my brothers 6.7. Looked at 5 others the same year and didn't even ask for the keys, didn't like what I saw just sitting there.

Wife seen the megacab on line and said to buy it, it looked pretty. I am way too picky to buy pretty, I want my monies worth whatever I get.

She also seems to think I need to buy one this week, I have plenty of time before spring.
wife seems ready to pull the trigger, maybe channel her thinking into a new bike with the truck.
morphrider likes this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Next on the radar is an 09 Dodge quad cab long bed with the 6.7 motor, those have 650lbs torque. Been chatting with a dealer over an hour away who has sent multiple pictures. Car fax shows 2 owners with tons of scheduled maintenance done, only 160k miles on it. In my current price range if I trade in my ride and if they offer me what kbb shows it's worth on a trade in which is $5k plus matching that cash down on a $20k rig, so financing maybe $11k will be easy payments. Plan to go see it Friday or Saturday morning.

[U]2006 raptor 700

RacersEdge +3TB
68HP 49TQ

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Got the 09. There was a check engine light that was on when test driving. Told dealer I was not going to sign any papers until that was resolved. Ended up being some turbo switch sensor that they will be replacing and they will also be replacing the turbo. They will be absorbing the cost on that one. Should be ready next week. Since I drove 2 hours to look into that truck and actually purchased it, they will be delivering the truck to me once complete.
DEZPERADO and 4stroker4life like this.

[U]2006 raptor 700

RacersEdge +3TB
68HP 49TQ

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 09:18 AM

Hell yeah. Mega cab long bed is gonna be awesome. Room for days! Might be a lil tricky to park at the mall, but i absolutely love the 4 door long bed combo

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

07' Raptor 700- 11:1, hotcam 3, Pro design intake with K&N, +3 throttle body, Monster big bore duals, MSD with cuervo timing, JOGACA shocks, trail tech VAPOR, GYTR heel guards & bumper & nerfs, .250 aluminum skids, TM case saver, folding anodized levers and shifter, powermadd hand guards

04' raptor 660-Hot rods crank, .5mm overbore, 11:1 wiseco piston, Stage 1 hotcam, Yoshimura slip-on exhaust, K&N filter with outerwears, open lid airbox, Dynojet stage 2 jet kit
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
This one isn't the mega cab, just quad cab 4 door. Still pretty good room inside. Parked side by side with my Silverado 2500HD and the Ram was longer by a little bit. Parking will be in the back of the lot still, lol. After driving that diesel for a while then driving my 6.0 gasser back home I can tell there will be easier towing. Always thought my 6.0 had oomph, and it does, but compared to that diesel it's a different league.

[U]2006 raptor 700

RacersEdge +3TB
68HP 49TQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in