Question about eBay procedures (kinda) - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Question about eBay procedures (kinda)

I'm looking at purchasing a 2009 Yamaha R1 from someone that listed the bike on Craigslist. The price is ridiculously low ($2700) for a 2009 with only 1400 miles on it. I thought something was fishy from the start, so I sent him an email asking if it was a typo. He sent me this:
Quote:
I am sorry for my tardiness in replying, for the time being I am on a business trip to Austin TX,i just got a new job here so i`ll be moving here with my family. The bike is still available and the final price is $2,700.I`m selling it at such a low price because i need some cash soon for my business project. It is in best working and aesthetic condition,no scratches,no problems at the engine, never involved in accidents and it has 1,400 miles.Below you can find a link with some pictures:
http://s961.photobucket.com/albums/a...view=slideshow
Awaiting for reply.
So...as I looked at those pictures, I noticed that the bike AND the vehicle in the garage had Texas plates on them. I'm in Maine, and it was in the Maine section of Craigslist. This made me a bit suspicious, so I first checked the Texas classifieds on Craigslist. The same bike was there, but it was flagged for removal (and removed.) I then sent him another email asking him, basically, why do you have it listed in the Maine classifieds, but everything has Texas tags on it? Where is the bike now? I also mentioned that I saw it listed (and removed) in the Texas classifieds. He replied with this:

Quote:
Hi again,
The bike is at the shipping company in Austin TX sealed and ready for shipping. I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them. According with eBay you have 5 days from the time you receive the bike to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not. Here is how it will work:
First of all,I will need the following details from you: full name, full shipping address. After I have received these details from you, I will forward them to eBay. After they will process your info, they will send both of us invoices. On the invoice you will find all the instructions on how to complete this transaction. eBay will contact me and I will ship the bike to you. After you receive the bike you will have 5 days to test it, verify it and do whatever you want with it. If you are going buy it, then I will receive the payment details from eBay so that I can pick up the money.
If you decide that you won't buy the bike , eBay will refund the money and I will have the shipping company come pick up my bike . If you wish to make the transaction, please send me the necessary info so that we can proceed. I'm looking forward to hearing from you!
Thank you
Has anyone ever heard of this? Does this sound like a scam to you? To me, it sounds like I'll get this info from "eBay", send the money, and never see a bike at all.

Honestly, I think it has scam written all over it...but figured I'd ask here because I know there ARE shippers that will do something similar to this, releasing payment to the seller once the buyer says they've received the product. I've just never heard of eBay doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Its all about the trophy!

the reason you feel this transaction has scam written all over it is because it is a scam. I wouldnt touch this with a 10 foot pole. I have an idea, send him an email saying you talked with your wife and she wants to take a vaction so you figured you would just drive on down and pick up the bike on the way home. see what kind of responce you get out of them then.

No Mercy Racing/ CG Performance Alky 812

Everbody Dies, But not Everybody Truely Lives
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

haha, I should try that.

I'd already determined it was a scam, but figured I'd put it up here to see what everyone else thought.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:20 PM

Yea...I've been thru this before. It's a SCAM!

Hey, I see you are in Maine! Me too. Where abouts?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb84 View Post
Yea...I've been thru this before. It's a SCAM!

Hey, I see you are in Maine! Me too. Where abouts?
https://www.raptorforum.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=50601

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 12:12 AM

yes it's def a scam!! I had one just like that i found here in vegas. It was for an 07 tahoe and the guy said some BS about bein sent to afghanistand and the truck was in Washington. I have friends in Washington so I asked if my friend could check it out. He wrote me back with its in the ebay lot and they will not allow anyone in there but he will send it to me for free if i give him half the money. I can then check out the vehicle decide if i want it or not and if not he will return my money.....

It's all one HUGE SCAM!! Stay far away!

2007 Raptor 700R
Dual blacked out barkers exhaust
FCI intake w/out box
PCV
Monster green frame and accents
ODI Grips
Tusk nerf bars
Houser +2 stem with anti vib
Flexx 14* bars
Pro-Armor MX grab bar
AC Racing 660 bumper custom mounted
Hiper Tech 3 wheels all the way around
JD Performance +2 MGC LT A-Arms
Fox float EVOL shocks
Black Trail Tech HID lights

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

A friend of mine checked on a GSX-R in the Maine classifieds the same time I was looking at this one. He emailed the guy, and got a reply saying that the seller "had a life changing experience and was selling his bike so he could donate all the money to charity". Oddly enough, the add actually listed the town it was in...which was only about 1/2 hour away from the town my friend and I live in. When he wrote back asking if he could come see the bike, the responses from the "seller" stopped.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 05:07 PM

there's a for sale ad on bluetraxx.com right now which is a scam. somebody selling a very nice set of hipers front and rear w/ new tires for $600. it seems legitimate but i'm sure i got him all figured out.

he hacked somebody's account which they haven't used in over a year. stated they were being "shipped from ohio." when asked for pictures, he wouldn't post pictures in the ad, but sent them email. i asked for more detailed pictures.. ALWAYS do this. he said he couldn't because "he was working down in the gulf and his gf was on vacation." i told him i'll gladly wait for the pictures because i had to wait for one of them to get back to ship the wheels to me anyway, and i mentioned i had money ready to be sent.

he then wrote back: "i'm going to be working down here in the gulf until december, and my gf travels alot because she works for porsche. my mother will be shipping them for me. i have alot of people interested and i have them listed on craigslist and ebay, so you might miss out if you delay any longer.."

i searched ebay and ALL of ohio craigslist and found nothing. i asked for a link to the other ads. he responded the next day with an "ebay free listing" ad that was posted the same day i asked for the link, and the ad was listed in "georgia." i asked about it and he said "we have a vacation home in georgia.." anyway, i cross-referenced his email and the email address is registered in washington state, lol. there were other things i didn't mention that didn't add up. i was having fun, the things you'll do for entertainment..

anytime you're sending money to anyone, if they're a scam you'll easily exploit them if you're proactive about it.

"i'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous.."

**Link Removed** NON-VENDOR LINK
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 06:06 PM

Scam. Always go look, with a backup plan just in case.

If you lend somebody $20 and they never come back, then it was worth it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode