Questions about pistons. Please help! - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Questions about pistons. Please help!

So I am rebuilding the raptor. With that said, I have it all apart right now and the stock piston that is in it looks just fine. I was wondering.. If I decide to buy a forged piston..lets say a weisco 11:1..Will running the high compression piston in the stock cylinder, stock bore size make any difference power wise? Whereas if I were to have the cylinder bored .30 to make it a 686 and run the weisco .30over piston? What does cylinder boring cost, and what does it entail? I didnt know if I would get any power difference at all running a high comp piston in the stock bore size.. Id hate to put the stock piston back in it but it looks clean and is here right now and dont have to invest anymore money..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 05:39 AM
I am unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyraptorrider View Post
So I am rebuilding the raptor. With that said, I have it all apart right now and the stock piston that is in it looks just fine. I was wondering.. If I decide to buy a forged piston..lets say a weisco 11:1..Will running the high compression piston in the stock cylinder, stock bore size make any difference power wise? Whereas if I were to have the cylinder bored .30 to make it a 686 and run the weisco .30over piston? What does cylinder boring cost, and what does it entail? I didnt know if I would get any power difference at all running a high comp piston in the stock bore size.. Id hate to put the stock piston back in it but it looks clean and is here right now and dont have to invest anymore money..
Installing a higher compression piston makes more power but I doubt you would feel the difference except at lower rpm.........
Going to a 686 also will give you more power and again Im not sure if you will feel it, porting and cam changes will make a difference that you will feel.............

686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 06:26 AM

i would not bore it out unless it needs to be done-ie scored clinder etc. spend the "boring" money on an exhaust/ intake etc... but deff go with at least the 11:1 piston

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Lifetime VIP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlukrappy View Post
i would not bore it out unless it needs to be done-ie scored clinder etc. spend the "boring" money on an exhaust/ intake etc... but deff go with at least the 11:1 piston
+1. I went 102mm right away a while back and regretted it be because it doesn't leave anything for a rebuild. 11:1 with stage 2 hc is good for 93 octane

2007 700-
11:1 Wiseco piston, +5 HR crank, Lucky700R ported head, HDD5050 cam, +3TB, DMC Force IV duals, MSD Blaster FI controller, UNI pod filters, ITP Beadlock rims + more

2001 Raptor-
100.5mm 11:1 Wiseco piston, balanced crank, trail ported head, Ferrea valves, stage 2 HC, Barker duals, UNI pod filters + more

2007 pitbike-
150cc Lifan engine, 26mm Mikuni carb, 32mm custom stainless steel exhaust, 12" motard tires, working on LED
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Lifetime VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtrax View Post
+1. I went 102mm right away a while back and regretted it be because it doesn't leave anything for a rebuild. 11:1 with stage 2 hc is good for 93 octane
+1 i did the same and now wish i wouldnt have. You can take your cylinder to a machine shop and they can measure it and tell you if it needs bored or not. If it dont need bored just have it honed and get that 11:1 piston.

05, 686cc, 11:1 comp JE piston, Stage 2 HC, Ported Head from Trinity, +1 valves, GYTR intake, Pro Circut T4 pipe, FMF Power Bomb Header, KFX 450 Front Shocks, YFZ 450 Front Brake Calipers, G-Force Axle, 12/40 Sprockets, PRM Bumper Grab Bar and Skids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode