race gas smell?? - Page 2 - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 07:22 PM

Kenz suggested to run a mix at 12:1. He said the raptors combustion chamber isn't an ideal shape to try to run higher compression12:1 on pump gas, even with an aggressive megacycle x-4 cam.

2003 Limited Edition Raptor
Kenz 720cc 11:1 stroker, +1 valves, Mega Cycle X-4 Cam, Sparks 6x Big Core, Keihin 35mm FCR's. 158 mains, 52 pilots, fuel screws 2 turns out.

97 Banshee
F.A.S.T. Dune Ported 4mill, CPI Inframes, Keihin PWK33's, Direct Drive Lockup. 158 mians, CEL needles second clip, #48 pilots, air scews 2.0 turns out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Wow i feel dumb, my piston is 11:1.. I messed up and said 13.. Im sorry for misshap. could that be the reason im not smelling the race gas? Hahaha

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!
01 660- 03 motor 686 with stage 1 cam, k&n intake and dr,d exhaust, many other mods... orange and blue trail machine!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 10:55 PM

What brand of fuel you running? Compression has nothing to do with the smell of the fuel. It is the ingredients used in creating the fuel. I have used Sunoco and VP 110 and they both smell very similar. And when I mix 91 and Blendzall, it smells very similar to the Sunoco and VP.

2002 Raptor 660, .50mm Wiseco piston, K&N filter and FMF PowerBomb with Powercore 4 silencer, Laeger +2 arms and YFZ front shocks
2003 Raptor 660, K&N, Pro Circuit slip on, ASR +3 arms with YFZ front shocks

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Cam2 blue blood

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!
01 660- 03 motor 686 with stage 1 cam, k&n intake and dr,d exhaust, many other mods... orange and blue trail machine!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 11:12 PM

I had never heard of it so did a search here is what I found:

Cam2 Racing Fuel?
Answer
Cam2 Racing Fuel is an out of use brand name. The brand is now called Sunoco Racing Fuel. It is a very high octane fuel used for premium performance in race cars.
Also according to a search for Cam2 Blue Blood says it is a motor oil for performance use.

I have used Sunoco 110 and Sunoco Turbo Blue 110 and they both have the same smell. I would maybe question if your vendor is ripping you off and not selling you legit 110 race fuel.

2002 Raptor 660, .50mm Wiseco piston, K&N filter and FMF PowerBomb with Powercore 4 silencer, Laeger +2 arms and YFZ front shocks
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 11:27 PM

All that is sold around here is Cam2 racing fuel. Mine smells good just like it should.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 11:37 PM

Interesting. We have 3 dealers here in our area. VP Heartland is the VP fuel distributor for our area and is right here in town. Then we have 2 racers that are dealers. One for Sunoco and the other for Phillips 66 race fuels. I have been around race fuels and racing since 86 and had never heard of Cam2. One of the guys I ride with runs VP in his Honda and it has a smell I have never been around before. Really sweet smell and burns your eyes and nose kind of like methanol. The oxygenated fuels have a unique smell too.

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 12:49 AM
www.gtpoffroad.com

i'm thinking the reason is the exhuast comes out behind you and you ride away from it... maybe ask the guy behind you if he smells it, or buy race gas for the guy in front of you.

seems like a waste of money to me, but you should be able to run 91 pump gas (good pump gas) on it. For a race gas mix you also need to check your tune as the race gas mix can make you lean, causing more heat and issues.

08 Raptor 700r - March 2013 ROTM

DMC Force 4 Duals - FCI Intake - PC5/Autotune - Stage 3 Hotcam - 12:1 CP Piston - +3 Cuervo TB - Ported head - Kibblewhite springs

Elka Stage 4 - Houser +2.25" MX LT MGC A-Arms - Lone Star Axle (+6)

Pro Armor Skid Plate - Pro Armor Nerf Bars

GTP Beadlock Wheels - Skat~Trak 9 paddle

ProTaper Contour Bars - Trail Tech Bar clamps - ODI grips - Fastway Steering stabilizer - Vapor

My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DJraprider?feature=guide
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rap_Rider View Post
buy race gas for the guy in front of you.
+1.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 08:20 AM

I think I can shed some light on few of the things I've read here. First let me say that CAM 2 Racing Fuel is still being made by Sunoco Race Fuels out of Marcus Hook, PA. CAM 2 is the same as Sunoco Race Fuels it just allows them to sell the product in areas that may not allow the Sunoco name to appear such as Shell, Chevron, Marathon etc. stations that do not want to advertise Sunoco. CAM 2 was the original name of the racing fuel made by Sunoco back in the early 70's until some marketing guy realized there was some benefit to associating the Sunoco name with racing fuel.

Secondly the lean/rich issue can be easily solved by looking at the specific gravity of the fuel you are running and making sure you don't go too light on the fuel. 110 Sunoco Standard should run just fine in any motor that isn't computer controled with O2 sensors. If you start running some of the highly oxygenated fuels that is when you need to start paying very close attention to lean conditions.

Compression is just one issue to look at when choosing a fuel, it's a good rule of thumb. Remember F-1 Cars run on sub 100 octane fuel (and I use the term fuel very lightly) with no ill effects and they have very high compression ratios and spin up over 15k RPM's. You can get a motor to run without damage on just about any octane fuel if it is tuned correctly.

Finally the reason the smell may be off in your 50/50 mix is the products they use for easy starts in regular gas are very combustible and are probably overpowering that wonderful race gas smell. Also that very sweet smell you get from the VP products has to do with the additive package they put in thier racing fuel, to be honest it kind of gives me a headache and it always smelled to me like a blown headgasket with antifreeze burning, just one mans opinion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode