Installed Tusk axle, offset length? - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Installed Tusk axle, offset length?

I recently purchased a tusk axle (used, in great condition and straight) and installed it on my 660. Once i got it installed I noticed the right side (brake rotor side) is about an inch wider than the left, measuring from the center of the machine. I used the same spacers on the hubs. I took many measurements and kept coming up with about an inch wider on the right side. So what i did is i changed the spacers on one side, and got it about 1/8 inch in difference. Am I overlooking something, or is this normal?? Just seems it should be equal. Any input appreciated, thanks

2002 raptor 660- full yoshi, K&n pro flow, DJ Kit, YFZ front shocks, Itp holeshot tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 09:09 PM

What point are you measuring to what point?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 10:47 PM
Master of the Electron

IIRC, you need to use two different size spacers to center it... this is so it can fit several different Yamaha quads. I hope someone who remembers better than I will chime in here.

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 11:19 PM

Learning..

Joagaca suspension,gytr frame skid,yfz calipers,powermadd hand guards,prodesign shifter,fasst flexx bars,rox risers,t.m. design chain guide,+2 lonestar swinger,billet dash,x-rex rears, klaw xc fronts,ebay bumper,prodesign case saver,primary drive sprockets and chain, all balls wheel bearings,+2+1 lonestar a-arms,+2 g force axle,vitos jet kit,ac pro peg nerf,amradillo swinger skid,sparks exhaust,prodesign intake,foam filter,outterwear,no lid

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 06:32 AM
I am unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinraptors View Post
I recently purchased a tusk axle (used, in great condition and straight) and installed it on my 660. Once i got it installed I noticed the right side (brake rotor side) is about an inch wider than the left, measuring from the center of the machine. I used the same spacers on the hubs. I took many measurements and kept coming up with about an inch wider on the right side. So what i did is i changed the spacers on one side, and got it about 1/8 inch in difference. Am I overlooking something, or is this normal?? Just seems it should be equal. Any input appreciated, thanks
You got a banshee axle, they fit the raptor but there will be an offset............

686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willykiller View Post
You got a banshee axle, they fit the raptor but there will be an offset............
This is quite common, even to the point where I wonder if the manufacturer actually makes a separate part or ships the same part for all machines. At one time I looked deeper into this and recall finding some of the mfr part numbers are the same from 660 to banshee.

IME it's closer to 3/4", but I rode and raced with a banshee axle on my 660 for years, never had a problem or noticed any handling oddities.

Mike

Photobucket is trash now, use something else.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 01:42 PM

I have the same issue and have been riding it this way for 2 years but I ordered mine from rockymountain.

Joagaca suspension,gytr frame skid,yfz calipers,powermadd hand guards,prodesign shifter,fasst flexx bars,rox risers,t.m. design chain guide,+2 lonestar swinger,billet dash,x-rex rears, klaw xc fronts,ebay bumper,prodesign case saver,primary drive sprockets and chain, all balls wheel bearings,+2+1 lonestar a-arms,+2 g force axle,vitos jet kit,ac pro peg nerf,amradillo swinger skid,sparks exhaust,prodesign intake,foam filter,outterwear,no lid

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Lifetime VIP

My lone star axle was like that and I couldn't figure out why either. I gave up on trying to figure it out and rode it. It was only a minor difference...didn't notice any riding or handling issues.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 06:14 PM
Master of the Electron

Damn, THAT is what it was... my memory sucks sometimes, LOL.

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks for the replys and answering my question. It looks like i will be able to play with the spacers to get it near centered and still be safe with enough spline in the hubs. Thanks again!

2002 raptor 660- full yoshi, K&n pro flow, DJ Kit, YFZ front shocks, Itp holeshot tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode