Lost fire, help. - Page 2 - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Found the problem! It ended being a cut wire behind the battery. The wires going to the module being the battery have been taking a beating from the battery moving around. One of the wires was totally broke while others were on there way. I stripped the wire back and twisted it together for a temporary fix to see it would start, hit the button and it fired right up. Thanks for all the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 10:43 PM

Lol see following wires helps, still pain in the ass though! Where you from?
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch660 View Post
Lol see following wires helps, still pain in the ass though! Where you from?
I was happy to find it. LOL

I am in Nashville, TN

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Master of the Electron

Sorry I didn't get to see this one earlier - one of the common issues is battery squashed CDI wires either broken or shorting together - I've mentioned it in at least two other threads in the last week or so.

Good job finding it; now have fun!

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadManiac View Post
Sorry I didn't get to see this one earlier - one of the common issues is battery squashed CDI wires either broken or shorting together - I've mentioned it in at least two other threads in the last week or so.

Good job finding it; now have fun!
Thanks for the reply! I was just glad I found the problem and didn't have to start buying parts.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 08:22 PM
Master of the Electron

Just as an FYI re the red stator wire...

The stator and CDI's firmware (it is a small computer) used on the 660 hasn't been changed much since the engine was originally used on a kick start motorcycle in, I believe, the early 90's.

The red and red/white stator pair is called the 'rotation direction winding' and was used by the CDI to determine if the engine was turning backwards - which would sometimes happen if the engine kicked back from the compression stroke when kick starting. CDI detection of reverse rotation would prevent spark from occurring.

They didn't change this stuff when they turned the engine into an electric starter for the Raptor - no need to fix it because it was just a feature that wasn't needed anymore. What they didn't realize was that many years down the road, a common failure of the stator was for the red and red/white winding to lose its insulation and short to one of the charge windings - causing the CDI to THINK that the engine was turning backwards... so the software in the CDI turns off the spark! OUCH!

Unplugging the regulator disconnects the three charge windings from everything else, so the short no longer passes any voltage to the CDI and VOILA, spark returns.

So, cutting the red stator wire (if spark has been lost but unplugging the regulator lets spark return) simply removes the false CDI information that the engine is turning in reverse... thereby returning the spark that the CDI had been inhibiting.

An added bonus is that this signal is somehow summed with the pulse coil signal and used to set the reverse RPM limit, when in reverse. Cutting the red wire removes one of the two signals that are added, and so the RPM limit goes way up.

Hope I didn't bore you.
QM

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Last edited by QuadManiac; 09-18-2013 at 08:31 PM.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Great info to have, thanks again!
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 09:12 PM
I am unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadManiac View Post
Just as an FYI re the red stator wire...

The stator and CDI's firmware (it is a small computer) used on the 660 hasn't been changed much since the engine was originally used on a kick start motorcycle in, I believe, the early 90's.

The red and red/white stator pair is called the 'rotation direction winding' and was used by the CDI to determine if the engine was turning backwards - which would sometimes happen if the engine kicked back from the compression stroke when kick starting. CDI detection of reverse rotation would prevent spark from occurring.

They didn't change this stuff when they turned the engine into an electric starter for the Raptor - no need to fix it because it was just a feature that wasn't needed anymore. What they didn't realize was that many years down the road, a common failure of the stator was for the red and red/white winding to lose its insulation and short to one of the charge windings - causing the CDI to THINK that the engine was turning backwards... so the software in the CDI turns off the spark! OUCH!

Unplugging the regulator disconnects the three charge windings from everything else, so the short no longer passes any voltage to the CDI and VOILA, spark returns.

So, cutting the red stator wire (if spark has been lost but unplugging the regulator lets spark return) simply removes the false CDI information that the engine is turning in reverse... thereby returning the spark that the CDI had been inhibiting.

An added bonus is that this signal is somehow summed with the pulse coil signal and used to set the reverse RPM limit, when in reverse. Cut ting the red wire removes one of the two signals that are added, and so the RPM limit goes way up.

Hope I didn't bore you.
QM
You sure did.

686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willykiller View Post
You sure did.
Haha!
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 12:42 AM
Master of the Electron

Those Canadians! So intimidated by real knowledge...

'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode