660 rear bearings keep shredding?? - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

660 rear bearings keep shredding??

I just bought a used 660 from a guy and on my second time taking it on the trails, the rear bearings got destroyed.(looked like original bearings) Took the carrier to a Yamaha maintenance shop and had them press new bearings in. I put the axle back together and took it back to the trails the following weekend and within 2 hours in the trails, boom, bearings gone again. Anyone got any clue why bearings would keep going out on me? The old bearings left some scratches on the middle of the spacer, but other than that nothing really wrong with the carrier. I'm lost and pissed because a whole gang of us are trying to go out again next week,I surely don't want to be left behind... Any guesses??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 07:21 PM
I am unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhornsby22 View Post
I just bought a used 660 from a guy and on my second time taking it on the trails, the rear bearings got destroyed.(looked like original bearings) Took the carrier to a Yamaha maintenance shop and had them press new bearings in. I put the axle back together and took it back to the trails the following weekend and within 2 hours in the trails, boom, bearings gone again. Anyone got any clue why bearings would keep going out on me? The old bearings left some scratches on the middle of the spacer, but other than that nothing really wrong with the carrier. I'm lost and pissed because a whole gang of us are trying to go out again next week,I surely don't want to be left behind... Any guesses??
The bearings and or spacer are not installed properly.
It is very important that when you install bearings that they are seated properly and straight in the carrier, and also that the spacer that fits between the bearings is not damaged, also when the spacer is installed, the bearings can have no side play with the spacer and also no preload, when you install the axle and tighten the retaining nut, the axle should turn freely with no drag............

686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 08:31 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
^^^As said above ^^^ If during instalation the tech (??) may have pushed (hammered) on the inner race. That may cause damage. Also, there are bearings that are called "off shore" that are cheaply made in China. You don't want these, but of course the good bearings cost more.

You want to do is contact your dealer. They should warranty this. Then, make sure they use genuine Yamaha bearings.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:12 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
SO..... What did you find out?? A update helps us know if we helped you or not.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

I ended up having a groove on my chain sprocket from thr first set of bearings the blew. The groove was cutting into the seal as I rode. Found a guy selling a rear swing arm for 80 bucks. Used that chain sprocket and I havnt had any problems yet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode