Throttle valve spring question - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Throttle valve spring question

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight here. How do you wind this spring up to reset tension on it? As of now there is now tension and the valve does not snap back after opening. I know it needs to be wound but im not sure how you go about doing this. Thanks for any and all replies it is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

I have searched all over the net and I have the service manual but I cannot find one thing about this anywhere. I have tried everything to get tension back on the spring and i'm lost. I'm sure someone has completely taken the carbs down and got them back together. By the way these have been the worst carbs I have ever had the displeasure of working on.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 09:40 AM

The Factory Service Manual for the 660 assumes only the standard wear item parts of the carb and the tuning aspects will be replaced. You need the parts microfiche which should be part of the service manual package available here in the maintenance section. Here' a link on the web as well:

http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/oemp...b8a/carburetor

Mike

Photobucket is trash now, use something else.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply I just need to know how you wind it up to put tension on it. I can't find this anywhere I have tried every way to wind the spring up and it just doesnt work out.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 12:07 PM

These mikuni bsr carbs are vacuum operated, part number 18 in that microfiche is not designed to be "re-tensioned" as there are no keepers holding it in place at the top and bottom, it can only be replaced. If that's not the spring you're talking about, please cite which one you are.

Mike

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Its the spring that goes to the part besides part number 5 on the link you posted. The spring is not listed on anything that I have looked at. Its not the throttle valve i'm talking about sorry im not sure of the name of the part i'm talking about the spring is in the housing on the carb where your throttle cable goes I gues it could be called the throttle pulley maybe?

Last edited by Yz250; 04-19-2015 at 01:10 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 01:10 PM

Springs are fairly simple, if you wind it tighter it will give more resistance. If the mechanism for the securing of this spring holds both ends in place keeping the "re-wind" intact then you will get a change in resistance, if it does not then you will not. Other carbs like the FCRs I used can be tweaked in this manner or the spring itself can be replaced with one of a different resistance.

Are you sure this spring is your problem? I ask because in the 10 years this forum has been online I've not seen anyone else cite a need to repair, replace, or rewind it and there are other possible reasons for malfunctioning carbs.

Mike

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

The spring has no tension on it. I was in the process of taking the carbs completely down and got to that point and disconnected the spring to further take apart the carbs. Then I decided not to go that far and now the spring is just sitting in there. Like before I did this that spring had enough tension to snap back when you pulled the throttle to open the brass valves in the carb. I'm sorry I do not know technical names here for the parts. I just can't get it back to how it was before the disassembly. I could post pics later when i'm back home if that would be of any help? Thanks though for your replies I greatly appreciate it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 03:44 PM

I think I have a better grasp of your problem now, it's not that you need to modify the part it's that you took it apart and are now unable to put it back together. I sympathize, but unfortunately I cannot help as I have never had to disassemble that section of the factory carb. I hope someone else has and can offer insight on how to re-install it.

Mike

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies im not trying to modify it im just trying to get it back together how it was the spring somehow has to be wound up to make tension on it to close the brass valves in the carbs im just not sure how you go about winding it up to get tension back on it I have tried every way possible. If I could find how somone else did it that would better help me or maybe a vid on how to do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode