Help! Want start off of button. When I cross it over it starts runs 5 seconds and die - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Help! Want start off of button. When I cross it over it starts runs 5 seconds and die

I have a 05 660 That I recently picked up. It runs perfect and has low miles. The guy started it pulled it out of the garage with no problems. Went to start it and ride it and it would not do anything off the button. We crossed it over and it ran perfect. I rode it like that for over a week waiting on a new solenoid because I thought that was the problem. When the solenoid came in i crosses it over started rite up soon as I bumped it rode it out of the barn to
the house where I changed the solenoids out which is a simple task and it still would not start off the button. Only now when I cross it over it runs about 5 seconds and dies. I can throw the gas to it and it takes it just fine until it does it want run over 5-10 seconds at the longest no matter what. Fuel delivery is fine itís a carb model they look like new. So I stuck the old solenoid back on and still the same thing. Has anyone ever had this problem? Can someone please help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 12:23 PM
Master of the Electron

Welcome to the forum!

I hope you have (or can borrow) a voltmeter, because we're going to have to make some measurements.

First, I suggest you download the service manual (free, in the stickies at top of the 660 Maintenance section). The last page is the wiring diagram. Use it to follow and understand what we're doing.

OK - to get the starter to turn over you need a few things to happen:

(All measurements are taken with meter set to DC voltage, if not auto DC then 20VDC, black probe on battery minus, red probe takes measurement)

1) in neutral - is your green neutral light lit? This also proves that the key switch is on and that voltage is getting to at least some of the electrics.

2) with meter probe on the solenoid's positive battery cable connection (where the cable from battery + is bolted to solenoid) is there ~12V here? Now press the start button - is there STILL ~12V here - should be. If voltage drops below 10V or so, the battery, cable or cable connection/s are bad.

3) does the red/black wire at the CDI have ~12V on it? Now press the start button - still has ~12V on it? It should. You can take a straight pin and pierce the insulation around the wire - make sure the pin is into and through the copper strands, then put your meter probe on the pin.

4) Use the pin again. Does the yellow black wire at the solenoid have 12V on it?

5) Does the yellow/black STAY at around 12V when you press the start button? It should. IF not we can deal with it, but need to know.

6) While you're pressing the start button does the red overtemp light illuminate?

7) Use pin again - Does the blue/black wire at the solenoid have ~12V on it UNTIL you press the start button, then it goes to low V (0-1V or so) while pressing the start button?

Most likely, your tests will fail somewhere between 1 and 7. Let us know the results.

ALSO - you may, at some point think "Ahaaa, if I jump 12V to the yellow black at the solenoid, all will work!"... DON'T DO IT! If the yellow black is still connected to the CDI when you jump 12V to this wire, you will damage a transistor inside the CDI!

Let us know what you find and good luck. We'll deal with the 5 second issue after you get the starter working.
Andon Jones likes this.

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Last edited by QuadManiac; 11-10-2017 at 01:16 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your help. I worked late today but I’m off the weekend so I will check everything out and get back to you soon. I really appreciate your help. I can go ahead and tell jo lights on the display work. The temp hand would light when hitting the start button before I changed the solenoid but it does not come on at all now. I will check everything out and get back to you. Thanks again for your help.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

No lights come on. No neutral light or temp light at all. The positive cable reads 12.44 and did not change when I hit the start button. Red/black on cdi reads 0. Yellow/black wire also reads 0. Yellow black on solenoid reads 0. Red over temp light never alluminates.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Im an idiot I’m retesting now. Those readings I just got were from the rectifier not the cdi. Im testing it now.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Ok the red/black wire at the cdi reads 0. Sorry for the confusion
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Also the headlights don’t come on at all with the key on.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 10:37 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Did you check all your fuses, one on the solenoid (and one spare) and some back at the rear under the seat. Test the wires at the key switch per your diagram. I think you need 12 volts on one wire with the key off, then 12 volts on both wires with the key on. if that's good test your on/off switch.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 12:00 AM
Master of the Electron

Agreed with Dez - check red wire from solenoid to key switch - if no 12V there, the fuse is blown, not installed correctly, or solenoid is bad (assuming you have 12V at the battery terminal lug on solenoid.)

There is only 1 operating fuse in the 660 (Dez has a 700) - there are two on the solenoid, but one is just a spare.

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Last edited by QuadManiac; 11-12-2017 at 12:02 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help fellas. I’ll check it out in the morning and get back to you. By the way I picked up another 05 cheap for parts. I switched the cdi, regulator/rectifier, and the solenoid again with no change. Thanks again for the advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode