2002 Raptor 660 - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Roughrider7
  • 1 Post By Roughrider7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

2002 Raptor 660

So, I am new to this forum stuff, and I figured I'd join and give it a shot. Recently bought a 2002 Raptor 660. For about 3 weeks, every worked great. Took it up north (northern Wisconsin) and ran fine up until I went through a large puddle. After that, it has not ran well at all. Fast forward to this past week. Starts up right away and idles fine. Rev it up with little to no problem. After I put it in 1st gear and subsequent gears, I can only give it half throttle. As soon as I want to hammer on the throttle, it just sputters out (doesn't completely die) and backfires occasionally. I can only ride it with half throttle. Havent gotten up to 3rd, 4th, or 5th gears because it doesn't like high rpms when gears are engaged. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 10:07 AM

I'm a quad rookie but I'm pretty good with engines....here's where I'd start:

1. Check air filter and intake, make sure they are both clean and free of obstruction
  2. Check fuel system, confirm that pump is supplying the appropriate pressure
  3. Pull the injector and confirm that its working properly
  4. Pull the plug and verify its condition

It would probably also help to know if the bike is stock, if there is any fuel/timing/ecu mods etc. Any history would be good too i.e. the bike was sitting previously, or last owner ran it like he stole it. When you're ghost hunting the more details the better.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 08:02 PM

Garage
It sounds a lot like parking brake switch on the handlebar is gummed up. Is yours still installed? Most of the 660s I have seen have had this deleted over the years, but without any other information, if you still have the factory parking brake installed, I would look for the plug on the wires from that assembly, which is near the handle bar clamps, and unplug it. If the problem disappears, then your problem is in the switch. Easy check and easy fix.
Alamo likes this.

Roughrider7

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughrider7 View Post
It sounds a lot like parking brake switch on the handlebar is gummed up. Is yours still installed? Most of the 660s I have seen have had this deleted over the years, but without any other information, if you still have the factory parking brake installed, I would look for the plug on the wires from that assembly, which is near the handle bar clamps, and unplug it. If the problem disappears, then your problem is in the switch. Easy check and easy fix.
What is the advantage to removing the parking brake? Just one less thing to hassle with?

Though I may shake my fist at them again tomorrow, tonight I will bow my head and offer these vulcanized tires as tribute. I will cut the night with the sound of wide open throttle...and no matter what....If I am destined for Valhalla....I will enter as a man who did not lift. - Speed Demons prayer to the Gods of Chaos.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 07:21 AM

Garage
They often have seals fail on the rear caliper, allowing moisture to get in the caliper and cause brakes to stick. The switch on the handlebars is a known problem on Banshees, Warriors, and 660 Raptors. When the switch, or contacts stick, they cause a limiter similar to the reverse rev limit. Also racers remove the handle, cable, and guts to the parking brake on the rear caliper and replace with a block off plate for weight savings. I am not telling you to remove it if you are not comfortable with that. Just to test the contacts to eliminate that as a cause of your symptoms. From what you described in the first post, it sounds like a distinct possibility. If the problem is in the parking brake limiter, the contacts can be cleaned and lubed and should be fine, until it happens again.
Alamo likes this.

Roughrider7
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughrider7 View Post
They often have seals fail on the rear caliper, allowing moisture to get in the caliper and cause brakes to stick. The switch on the handlebars is a known problem on Banshees, Warriors, and 660 Raptors. When the switch, or contacts stick, they cause a limiter similar to the reverse rev limit. Also racers remove the handle, cable, and guts to the parking brake on the rear caliper and replace with a block off plate for weight savings. I am not telling you to remove it if you are not comfortable with that. Just to test the contacts to eliminate that as a cause of your symptoms. From what you described in the first post, it sounds like a distinct possibility. If the problem is in the parking brake limiter, the contacts can be cleaned and lubed and should be fine, until it happens again.
Solid intel man, appreciated.

Though I may shake my fist at them again tomorrow, tonight I will bow my head and offer these vulcanized tires as tribute. I will cut the night with the sound of wide open throttle...and no matter what....If I am destined for Valhalla....I will enter as a man who did not lift. - Speed Demons prayer to the Gods of Chaos.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode