Wrecked bad today - Page 4 - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:47 AM

Well that is disappointing. But your right, nothing to do now but suck it up and own it. Six weeks seems like an eternity in that situation, but it will be over before you know it and you will be telling the story around a campfire at the badlands

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
morphrider and ian77 like this.

07' Raptor 700- 11:1, hotcam 3, Pro design intake with K&N, +3 throttle body, Monster big bore duals, MSD with cuervo timing, JOGACA shocks, trail tech VAPOR, GYTR heel guards & bumper & nerfs, .250 aluminum skids, TM case saver, folding anodized levers and shifter, powermadd hand guards

04' raptor 660-Hot rods crank, .5mm overbore, 11:1 wiseco piston, Stage 1 hotcam, Yoshimura slip-on exhaust, K&N filter with outerwears, open lid airbox, Dynojet stage 2 jet kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 05:43 AM

Garage
six weeks isnt too bad. it will go by quick. then on to bigger and better things.

06 700 se
+2 Alba A arms
+1 Houser ant-vibe stem
Fasst Flexx bars
Precision Pro stabilizer
long travel yfz shocks redone by Jogca
oem rear shock redone by Jogca
GBC XC-Masters
Big Gun Exo duals
FCI intake w/box
PC5 w/ignition
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:37 AM

Garage
You'll be up in no time. 6 weeks to eternity is nothing
Alamo likes this.

2016 Raptor 700R, Street legal, HID kit, 15T front, AIS delete, Jogaca suspension, Adjustable rear link, LSR 2+1 A-Arms, Axcalibar axle, PC5 w/timing and autotune, full Dasa exhaust, Talon 36T rear or stock 38T

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Location: Somerset, Kentucky; the home of beautiful horses and fast women!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stroker4life View Post
Well that is disappointing. But your right, nothing to do now but suck it up and own it. Six weeks seems like an eternity in that situation, but it will be over before you know it and you will be telling the story around a campfire at the badlands

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian77 View Post
six weeks isnt too bad. it will go by quick. then on to bigger and better things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSupra View Post
You'll be up in no time. 6 weeks to eternity is nothing [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.raptorforum.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Thanks so much for the encouraging words guys. It means a lot
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rprice View Post
Well I got more disappointing news at the Dr yesterday. While the injury is healing as it should I still can’t place any significant weight on my leg until 6 more weeks. This is because I not only fractured the bone just below the knee I also did extensive damage to cartilage just below the knee. The doc said I would be risking more damage to that cartilage if I don’t wait another 6 weeks before beginning rehab and placing weight on it.

I moped around all day yesterday with a woe is me attitude. But at the end of the day ya just gotta suck it up and make the best of it.

Below is cat scan of injury before surgery. The top right side of that bone is supposed to look like the top left side
A little excerpt from one of my more dramatic journeys to a top.....I cashed out both ankles in one shot. 2 months wheel chair, 4 or 5 weeks on crutches.

Some things I did in the wheel chair...with feet unable to even support weight.....

- Jumped the big table top at the BMX track we had, crashed....it hurt.
- Got towed behind a truck going down a dirt road, hit at least 25 before I chickened out and let go of the ski rope, didn't crash....didn't hurt. (my wheel chair was one of those bad ass jobs with mountain bike tires and a low back)
- Started what has become a life long obsession with wheelies (I could eat lunch balanced on the back wheels using just my body to maintain equilibrium)

- probably the most important thing.....strength training

I doubled down on upper body strength training. Literally wore my knees bloody on the gym floor because all I could do was crawl around (I eventually got some knee pads to limit the amount of DNA I was leaving behind).....but I was in there 3+ hrs a day, 5 days a week....and some weekends...killing upper body workouts....and it kicked this whole tangent path in motion. That 90 days of focused training lead to 3 years of total domination.

This isn't a set back, it's an opportunity to address weakness. Pushups from your knees, pull ups (safely), core work. My injury turned out to be the thing that I used to assure my continued success.

I am still of that mind set. If I can drag myself to the floor, I can do something to make myself better tomorrow.

Dont mean it doesn't suck lol.....just means that recovery time can be played to advantage.

Stay strong bro.
BlackSupra likes this.

Though I may shake my fist at them again tomorrow, tonight I will bow my head and offer these vulcanized tires as tribute. I will cut the night with the sound of wide open throttle...and no matter what....If I am destined for Valhalla....I will enter as a man who did not lift. - Speed Demons prayer to the Gods of Chaos.
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for sharing Alamo! Yes I have decided I must at least maintain my upper body strength . Before the accident I was doing 4 days a week training. I have not done anything since the accident. That is gonna change however because the muscle mass I am losing is ridiculous.

It has just taken me time I think to admit to myself what I have really done to my body. Thst and my depressed additude.

My wonderful GF has moved a chair with wheels on it along with some light free weights into the garage. It’s time I suck it up and face reality .
Alamo likes this.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Well I thought I would check in and vent a little. LOL. My accident happened on 3/10 / surgery on 3/13 and I am still on crutches. Doc has me placing 50% of my body weight on my bad leg. I know I could take off and walk right now but my Doc and people around me have convinced me to continue a slow and deliberate method of recovery that suits a 56 year old instead of a 26 year old. LOL. 3 more weeks and the crutches can go!

I have taken the Raptor for two different short spins of about 5 minutes each. WOW you can really tell when you stand up just how much pressure is on your legs while standing when one leg is significantly weakened like mine! My nerve, confidence and mental state have all been effected by this injury. I did do a couple wheelies on the 2nd spin of maybe 50 feet but it scared me and not the good scare of adrenaline. I was unable to hit our little jump we have set up in the field as my leg is just to weak to support the impact of landing.

Its probably going to take all summer to completely recover and regain the confidence and physical abilities I had prior to the accident. At least I did get to go on one trail ride back in February before the accident happened.

All in all I feel good about the injury in that I believe I am on the road to a full recovery. The thing is I think I am just now realizing that the recovery time of a 56 year old is twice that of a young man. Anyway ride the trails for me!!
morphrider and ian77 like this.
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rprice View Post
Well I thought I would check in and vent a little. LOL. My accident happened on 3/10 / surgery on 3/13 and I am still on crutches. Doc has me placing 50% of my body weight on my bad leg. I know I could take off and walk right now but my Doc and people around me have convinced me to continue a slow and deliberate method of recovery that suits a 56 year old instead of a 26 year old. LOL. 3 more weeks and the crutches can go!

I have taken the Raptor for two different short spins of about 5 minutes each. WOW you can really tell when you stand up just how much pressure is on your legs while standing when one leg is significantly weakened like mine! My nerve, confidence and mental state have all been effected by this injury. I did do a couple wheelies on the 2nd spin of maybe 50 feet but it scared me and not the good scare of adrenaline. I was unable to hit our little jump we have set up in the field as my leg is just to weak to support the impact of landing.

Its probably going to take all summer to completely recover and regain the confidence and physical abilities I had prior to the accident. At least I did get to go on one trail ride back in February before the accident happened.

All in all I feel good about the injury in that I believe I am on the road to a full recovery. The thing is I think I am just now realizing that the recovery time of a 56 year old is twice that of a young man. Anyway ride the trails for me!!
The ability to tear off an arm and simply hold it next to the stump and watch it reattach and heal before your eyes ends in your twenties. Not only does healing take forever in your fifties, but sometimes new things pop up that you did not realize you injured. I think that is where the " it sucks getting old" saying comes from. Glad you are on the mend.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team 2 gils View Post
The ability to tear off an arm and simply hold it next to the stump and watch it reattach and heal before your eyes ends in your twenties. Not only does healing take forever in your fifties, but sometimes new things pop up that you did not realize you injured. I think that is where the " it sucks getting old" saying comes from. Glad you are on the mend.

Yes unfortunately it happens To everyone!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rprice and Scotscockney like this.

06 700 se
+2 Alba A arms
+1 Houser ant-vibe stem
Fasst Flexx bars
Precision Pro stabilizer
long travel yfz shocks redone by Jogca
oem rear shock redone by Jogca
GBC XC-Masters
Big Gun Exo duals
FCI intake w/box
PC5 w/ignition
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:20 PM
Master of the Electron

I feel for you, RPrice... this is exactly why I bought my Polaris RZR just before I turned 60. I takes too damned long to heal at our age but the need for speed will never go away!
Rprice and Scotscockney like this.

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode