2001 Raptor 660 spark - Page 2 - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:51 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
You'll have to read between the lines of my last post. My comments are mixed with yours.

Another thought?! Have you checked your fuses?? There may be 2 at the solenoid, but one is a spare. Others may be under the back of the seat in a box with a flip top.

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 11:1 CP, +5 HR CRANK, PC3, +2 TB, LONE STAR XC +1, +1 A-ARMS, HD TIE RODS, JOGACA REAR SHOCK, ASV LEVERS, +4 REAR AXLE, DR.D REVERSE, ODI GRIPS, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:52 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
What does the battery read when cranking the motor?

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 11:1 CP, +5 HR CRANK, PC3, +2 TB, LONE STAR XC +1, +1 A-ARMS, HD TIE RODS, JOGACA REAR SHOCK, ASV LEVERS, +4 REAR AXLE, DR.D REVERSE, ODI GRIPS, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS'
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZPERADO View Post
Go to the top of the 660 page and look for a downloadable service manual.
That's the best advice ever

For anyone who stumbles on this later:
The first two links in the first response on this page will get you what you need:
https://www.raptorforum.com/forums/6...mentation.html

Chapter 8-11 is the start of the ignition troubleshooting guide and it explains a pretty streamlined process. I'm working through that now, and I'll post here if I get stuck!
DEZPERADO and Scotscockney like this.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You'll have to read between the lines of my last post. My comments are mixed with yours.

Another thought?! Have you checked your fuses?? There may be 2 at the solenoid, but one is a spare. Others may be under the back of the seat in a box with a flip top.
No worries, I figured out your response just fine! I have checked the 2 fuses at the solenoid but didn't know one was a spare, they don't look burnt/broken or anything. I guess I'll search around and see if I have another place for fuses, I am not aware of any.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
What does the battery read when cranking the motor?
Between 12.1 and 11.95 when cranking
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:19 PM

there is just 1 fuse and 1 spare,and why didn't I think to tell you about manual,doh.sorry.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotscockney View Post
there is just 1 fuse and 1 spare,and why didn't I think to tell you about manual,doh.sorry.
To be fair, you told me to check the stickies, and I did a bad job of checking them. I was looking for things specific to my situation rather than reading through everything... still working on my patience!
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Correction, the service manual steps for ignition troubleshooting start on chapter 8 section 6 (8 - 6)

From the service manual:

Step 1 Fuse -> Looks good, has continuity
Step 2 Battery -> Currently at 13.76v, ~11.94 at lowest when cranking
Step 3 Spark plug -> Have tried 3 different plugs, gap set to .032 in, spec calls for .031 - .035 in
Step 4 Ignition spark gap -> I don't know what this is testing, but I can't do it because I don't have spark
Step 5 Spark plug cap resistance -> 11.16k spec calls for 10k <- Could this be the problem? It's new but not sure if it's OEM because I can't seem to tell when I order them.
Step 6 Ignition coil resistance ->
PRIMARY: Old one and new one both have .4, spec is .18-.28
SECONDARY: Old one has 8.07k and new one has 2.83k, spec is 6.32k ~ 9.48k
Step 7 Engine stop switch -> has continuity and .7 resistance
Step 8 Main switch -> has continuity and .4 resistance
Step 9 Pickup coil resistance -> .503, spec is .445 - .545
Step 10 .Charging/rotor rotation direction detection coil resistance -> .2, spec is 0.069 ~ 0.085

Based on the steps above, I'd say I bought a bad ignition coil and a bad stator...

I see in the manual there are no steps for testing the CDI, it just says if everything else is good and you go through all the wires, replace the CDI so I'm still up for hearing from someone who knows how to test that, but I'm going to start by looking for OEM stator and ignition coil. If you know of a good set that would be super helpful for me!
Scotscockney likes this.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Shull View Post
Based on the steps above, I'd say I bought a bad ignition coil and a bad stator...

I see in the manual there are no steps for testing the CDI, it just says if everything else is good and you go through all the wires, replace the CDI so I'm still up for hearing from someone who knows how to test that, but I'm going to start by looking for OEM stator and ignition coil. If you know of a good set that would be super helpful for me!
So I see Ricky Stator is a well liked place to get OEM parts, and they have the stator but not ignition coils. Does anyone know if the raptor or warrior 350 ignition coils are compatible? They carry those but not 660 coils...
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Shull View Post
So I see Ricky Stator is a well liked place to get OEM parts, and they have the stator but not ignition coils. Does anyone know if the raptor or warrior 350 ignition coils are compatible? They carry those but not 660 coils...
Nevermind, I called the local yamaha house and bought one there, won't be in until next week though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode