2001 Raptor 660 spark - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

2001 Raptor 660 spark

I've read the forums here and other places, lots of information out there but it seems geared towards folks who already know how to do the thing, which I do not.

I was riding my 660 and it just stopped going. It has no spark to the plug (my brother grabbed it to see if it did...)

I have changed:
Spark Plug
Coil/Wire
Rectifier/Regulator
Stator

My question:
I've seen folks just checking continuity on the switch but I've also seen posts where people are saying that you should be testing resistance, i'm not sure which wires to test though and what the resistance values should look like?

Basically, I gather I need to test the switch and the CDI, but I don't know how to do either of these. Anyone have a good write up on how to test these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

I should also mention i've tried crossing the solenoid to start it with no change. Not really sure why I thought that would help though, since the bike doesn't turn over if either the thumb switch or the key is off.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 05:32 PM

Wink

Hi,if you go to maintainance section,see sticky marked most common raptor 660 problems that should give you some things to check.Does the engine turn over ?
Clifford Shull likes this.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Engine turns over, it's getting gas and doesn't seem to be flooding.

Also should probably mention i did the plug/unplug the rectifier test too, no spark either way.

I'll check the maintenance section for stickies, I didn't see them in general and didn't think to look in maintenance for whatever reason.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 05:47 PM

There are quite a few stickys,they have saved me loads of time and effort over last 2 weeks and my Rappy has been a pain to start for years.Spend a bit of time to check stickys and they should help.Electrics ain't my thing,Quadmaniac or Dezporado might be able to help better with that.good luck,i'm to bed ,past midnight here.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotscockney View Post
There are quite a few stickys,they have saved me loads of time and effort over last 2 weeks and my Rappy has been a pain to start for years.Spend a bit of time to check stickys and they should help.Electrics ain't my thing,Quadmaniac or Dezporado might be able to help better with that.good luck,i'm to bed ,past midnight here.
So in maintenance section for stickies I saw the one about common problems, and i've been through all of that stuff already.

It basically covers no spark but only for the stator winding problem, which I've replaced my stator... maybe there is some resistance/continuity testing I can do to verify my old stator was bad. I've got a multimeter but I am new to using the thing and don't have any experience chasing wires/diagnosing electrical issues really. I have the stator out on my table though so maybe that's useful for diagnosing even though I've already replaced it...

I saw the one as well about the CDI wiring differences between 01 and 02 but not a write up on how to actually test them, maybe it's a more difficult process than I'm giving it credit!
Scotscockney likes this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:01 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Be sure your battery is at least 13.6 volts. If low the cranking speed will be to low to create spark. Jump from a good battery from your wife's car.

Have you tried starter fluid or bump starting?

Tight intake valves will cause hard or no start.

I know you can unplug the stator or regulator, but I don't know which one. Same for testing 12 volts on I think the red wire on the CDI. Quadmaniac would have to verify this.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 11:1 CP, +5 HR CRANK, PC3, +2 TB, LONE STAR XC +1, +1 A-ARMS, HD TIE RODS, JOGACA REAR SHOCK, ASV LEVERS, +4 REAR AXLE, DR.D REVERSE, ODI GRIPS, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS'
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZPERADO View Post
Be sure your battery is at least 13.6 volts. If low the cranking speed will be to low to create spark. Jump from a good battery from your wife's car.
First, thanks for your response!

I'm honestly not sure the battery has ever registered more than 13.1 volts and I bought it new last summer. Interesting though, my charger is reading it at 13.1 after being on maintain all night, but my multimeter just bounces around a bunch and I can't get a good reading on it.

Quote:
Have you tried starter fluid or bump starting?
Not sure if starter fluid will help since i'm positive it's a no spark condition. Didn't know what the term "bump starting" was but i'll try it and see how it goes.

Quote:
Tight intake valves will cause hard or no start.
Is that something that would tighten up and then kill the bike mid ride? I was in 2nd gear down shifting and slowing down to stop(clutch in) and it just died on me, hasn't had spark since.

Quote:
I know you can unplug the stator or regulator, but I don't know which one. Same for testing 12 volts on I think the red wire on the CDI. Quadmaniac would have to verify this.
Yeah, I've read a bunch of articles and seen youtube videos on this part. I've tested spark with regulator plugged in and unplugged and there is no change. I'll wait on someone to let me know which wires on the CDI to check for voltage or resistance.

Also curious if there is a way to test the stator with a multimeter if anyone knows.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Shull View Post
I'm honestly not sure the battery has ever registered more than 13.1 volts and I bought it new last summer. Interesting though, my charger is reading it at 13.1 after being on maintain all night, but my multimeter just bounces around a bunch and I can't get a good reading on it.
Scratch that, took the charger off and got a good Voltage reading on it, showing 13.66 volts.

Quote:
Also curious if there is a way to test the stator with a multimeter if anyone knows.
Keep in mind my testing here is just a newb with a multimeter so these tests may be totally invalid. Since it won't start, all testing was done with the bike not running.

NEW STATOR
3 wire DC voltage to ground test:
2.8v, 2.8v, 2.8v

3 wire resistance test:
.7, .7, .7

4 wire DC voltage to ground test:
R .7
W/B .7
B(W/R on old stator) .8
G(W/G on old stator) .7

4 wire resistance test:
R & W/B .2
R & B(W/R on old stator) OL
R & G(W/G on old stator) OL

W/B & R .2
W/B & B(W/R on old stator) OL
W/B & G(W/G on old stator) OL

B(W/R on old stator) & R OL
B(W/R on old stator) & W/B OL
B(W/R on old stator) & G(W/G on old stator) .503

G(W/G on old stator) & R OL
G(W/G on old stator) & W/B OL
G(W/G on old stator) & B(W/R on old stator) .503

OLD STATOR
3 wire DC voltage to ground test:
.6v, .7v, .6v

3 wire resistance test:
.6, .6, .6

4 wire DC voltage to ground test:
R .2v
W/B .2v
W/R(B on new stator) .2v
W/G(G on new stator) .3v

4 wire resistance test:
R & W/B .2
R & W/G(G on new stator) OL
R & W/R(B on new stator) OL

W/B & R .2
W/B & W/G(G on new stator) OL
W/B & W/R(B on new stator) OL

W/G(G on new stator) & R OL
W/G(G on new stator) & W/B OL
W/G(G on new stator) & W/R(B on new stator) .501

W/R(B on new stator) & R OL
W/R(B on new stator) & W/B OL
W/R(B on new stator) & W/R(B on new stator) .501

Each test, I verified the ground connection by testing a nearby ground, and got 0.0 resistance, so I'm pretty sure it was properly grounded
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:45 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Quote:
First, thanks for your response!

Sorry, I've never worked on a 660 but just some general info and what I've learned from other members.

Try jumping from another known battery.

Not sure if starter fluid will help since i'm positive it's a no spark condition. Didn't know what the term "bump starting" was but i'll try it and see how it goes.

Starting fluid may give it that extra jump if it's a weak spark. "Bump start" is pushing or towing at 5-10 MPH and pop the clutch in 3rd or 4th gear.

Is that something that would tighten up and then kill the bike mid ride? I was in 2nd gear down shifting and slowing down to stop(clutch in) and it just died on me, hasn't had spark since.

No. Just FYI.

Yeah, I've read a bunch of articles and seen youtube videos on this part. I've tested spark with regulator plugged in and unplugged and there is no change. I'll wait on someone to let me know which wires on the CDI to check for voltage or resistance.

Go to the top of the 660 page and look for a downloadable service manual.
Clifford Shull likes this.

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 11:1 CP, +5 HR CRANK, PC3, +2 TB, LONE STAR XC +1, +1 A-ARMS, HD TIE RODS, JOGACA REAR SHOCK, ASV LEVERS, +4 REAR AXLE, DR.D REVERSE, ODI GRIPS, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode