Running issues - Page 2 - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 04:44 PM

I just have a hard time saying the carb is the entire issue. Its odd that it just flat out wont run under load but fine with no load. How about TPS does it have one? Or is That only fuel injection.. Can't remember but I thought some carbed engines had them. Also how about compression? If it was low wouldn't it impact performance more so under load? Weak ignition coil? How about float hight? Nobody mentioned that. To me float hight would be my concern. Choaking it would compensate for a low bowl. I think it would run but run badly if it was just jets out of wack.. I dont think it would run fine choaked and not at all otherwise based on jets unless there very far from the right ones or settings. Do these carbs have accelerator pumps? I know a 400ex does. Maybe the diaphragm is shot? Small hole? How about air leaks in the intake boot? Choking it would compensate for that.. Spray it while running with wd-40 or starter fluid (dont hit the hot exhaust) and see if the rpm changes.

Sent from my LML413DL using Tapatalk
Scotscockney likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:37 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnjay View Post
I just have a hard time saying the carb is the entire issue. Its odd that it just flat out wont run under load but fine with no load. How about TPS does it have one? Or is That only fuel injection.. Can't remember but I thought some carbed engines had them. Also how about compression? If it was low wouldn't it impact performance more so under load? Weak ignition coil? How about float hight? Nobody mentioned that. To me float hight would be my concern. Choaking it would compensate for a low bowl. I think it would run but run badly if it was just jets out of wack.. I dont think it would run fine choaked and not at all otherwise based on jets unless there very far from the right ones or settings. Do these carbs have accelerator pumps? I know a 400ex does. Maybe the diaphragm is shot? Small hole? How about air leaks in the intake boot? Choking it would compensate for that.. Spray it while running with wd-40 or starter fluid (dont hit the hot exhaust) and see if the rpm changes.

First sentence, said it runs with the choke on!! Now if a Chinese kit was used the parts are inconsistent and can cause more problems. Pull the carbs again, run a wire thru all orifices, inspect all rubber parts and reinstall the Mikuni jets. We've seen it many times, follow instructions and it will run. Also, don't do any tuning without air cleaners.
Scotscockney likes this.

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 11:1 CP, +5 HR CRANK, PC3, +2 TB, LONE STAR XC +1, +1 A-ARMS, HD TIE RODS, JOGACA REAR SHOCK, ASV LEVERS, +4 REAR AXLE, DR.D REVERSE, ODI GRIPS, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS'
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:44 PM
Master of the Electron

John, argue as you wish but those of us with many years of Raptor experience under our belts will agree that his issue is carb related, not valve.

Always a good idea to check valve clearance, twayne - the 660 intakes tend to close up as they wear, eventually causing a loss of compression and a no cold start situation - and no carb adjustment can make it run at all. Your bike starts cold and idles - it wouldn't with valve issues.

TWayne - put your air cleaner in and airbox lid back on. The bike will run VERY poorly under load, above idle without them, since it is jetted for a closed airbox. Rebuild kits only come with stock sized jets - smaller one goes in left carb. Also make sure the emulsion tubes didn't get flipped upside down - the chamfered edge faces up towards the needle.

Also, as Dez mentioned, the cheap Ebay kits often have poorly made, incorrectly sized jets that just don't work for crap! If you have the originals I'd clean them and re-use them... they don't wear out, theu just get dirty; else I'd suggest buying new Mikuni replacements.
Scotscockney likes this.

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Last edited by QuadManiac; 05-09-2019 at 12:17 AM.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:32 AM

I get it lol I'll bud out. Your right I have very little raptor experience but tons on older small engines you name it boats all that stuff. Ive just seen valves act like a carb issue and seen people or myself chase a problem in the carb and end up finding a valve issue. I agree its carb here but yeah I like to rule out other stuff. At least then you know all that is ok too. I dunno. I was just bored. I dont really enjoy throwing my ideas around lol gets me yelled at even by the wife. Ill just stick to reading and learing

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:50 AM

Oh and dont read this wrong like I dont want to argue but someone doesnt have to have "raptor" experiance to know an engine. I never said anyone was wrong or that I was right. Just thinking out loud here. But there is nothing that separates a raptor from any other engine from a v8 to a boat or a tractor or maybe a lawn mower or other quads or dirt bikes or hey even a weed wacker.. All engines have the same basic principles that make them run. Intake, compression, power, and exhaust strokes.. Only differences are how they are achived in various engines years makes and modles.. 2 strokes 4 strokes reeds or valves, carbs or injectors.. They all still need every component working together to run properly. You can fix or understand any engine with that understanding.. So unless you mean "raptor" experience as in dinosaurs.. Makes not one bit of differance that its a raptor.. Still an engine.. Same stuff different name.. Just saying.

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:13 PM
Master of the Electron

John - no worries - and please DO keep throwing out your ideas... the majority of them have absolute merit related to small IC engines and this is what keeps this forum open, intelligent and fresh!

Just keep in mind that after seeing maybe a million posts here, contributing to thousands of troubleshooting efforts AND writing many stickies to support all or our member's issues over the last 12 years... some of us can get a pretty good idea of what someone's problem is just from seeing the first few sentences in their first post.

All we're trying to do is keep him on point - looking at the most LIKELY cause of his issues first, so neither he nor we have to waste too much time going down paths that, although they may have merit, are less likely to be an issue with the 660.

Unfortunately, TWayne has not responded to our questions yet, so we're stuck where we are until he does.

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Last edited by QuadManiac; 05-10-2019 at 05:20 PM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Ok so I cleaned and put the oem jets back in the carb, valves were a touch on the tight side but close to spec, I adjusted them anyway, put a new air filter in and closed the box up. Bike starts up incredibly, let it get warmed up, fantastic power up to 1/4 throttle, as you get into the throttle from just over 1/4-3/4 throttle it just has a big flat spot and spits/pops... if you fight through it and get into full throttle it will rev out.

Also pulled tank and petcock, cleaned the screen out, still no change
Scotscockney likes this.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 08:48 AM

How sure are you it's stock? Recheck diaframs and intake manifold rubbers for creases and tiny holes.Ihad creased diaphrams 2 years ago and she ran like a pig

2002 Raptor 660,street quad,hotcams stage 1, motion pro twist throttle conversion,+1 inch wheel spacers front,+2 inch spacers rear,XTZ left hand switch cluster,shaved front bodywork,Maxis streetmax f+r, Alloy Boltz Inc stainless steel 600 piece fasterner kit. K+N filter. MotoGP grips.TM Designworks drain plug.Roads like Isle Of Man TT course

Last edited by Scotscockney; 05-11-2019 at 09:00 AM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Quadruple checked diaphram, found a tare under the grey retaining ring 👍👍
Scotscockney likes this.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twayne24365 View Post
Quadruple checked diaphram, found a tare under the grey retaining ring 👍👍
So you've found the problem? That's great does she roar,snarl , growl now?

2002 Raptor 660,street quad,hotcams stage 1, motion pro twist throttle conversion,+1 inch wheel spacers front,+2 inch spacers rear,XTZ left hand switch cluster,shaved front bodywork,Maxis streetmax f+r, Alloy Boltz Inc stainless steel 600 piece fasterner kit. K+N filter. MotoGP grips.TM Designworks drain plug.Roads like Isle Of Man TT course

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode