Running issues - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Running issues

My buddy has a raptor 660, said it would only run with the choke ok, so he brought it over,it’s a 2002 all stock.
I took the carbs off, fully dis assembled, soaked in a bucket of carb cleaner, blew out with compressed air, and rebuilt them. Bike fired up great, idles good, and revs fine. As soon as you get in gear and take off it spits and dies, keep the choke on and it runs fine, could this be another issue besides the carb?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 12:54 AM

Sounds like a carb issue still. Did you check the pilot jet really good? Some pilot jets have super tiny holes and they plug up very easy. I had an R1 that did this and thats what it was. The hole is very small on the 99 R1 I had. I stripped a bread twisty tie and even that wire wouldn't fit. Solvents and air dont always clean them jets out. Also make sure you float hight is correct.

Sent from my LML413DL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

I used a rebuild kit with new jets/pilots I’ll pull it back off and go over it again, I was just wondering if something else could be the culprit

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Pulled carbs back off and took apart, gotta say everything is super clean pilots are clean, and wired out the passages
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Carbs back in, drained gas and put in fresh 93, new fuel line with filter, instead of 2 and 3 turns out on fuel screws I went 3/3.5, now it runs without choke on but above 1/2 throttle spits/backfires, runs ok if you gradually increase throttle,it’s deffinately lean up top, no air filter on it so I don’t want to change anything till that gets here bc that will richen it up some but things are improving!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:40 AM

Have you checked your valves? That could be the problem if the carb is good.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 12:16 PM

Id say my best bet would be the valves are outa wack. Sounds like your chasing a valve problem by adjusting the carb.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 11:41 PM
Master of the Electron

Not the valves - it is carb related.

Did you keep the original jets?

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 03:53 PM

Well its still a good idea to check the valves if your tuning a carb.. They are related and work together.. Someone might have tuned the carb to compensate for a valve problem. Now new jets clean carb still bad valve adjustment. Ive seen valves act like carb issue and its easy to just check them so it's ruled out.. If the intake valves arent sealing correctly the engine won't draw the enough air/fuel thus explaining why it runs with the choak on.. The choke would add the extra fuel that the engine isn't sucking in. I always check valves and compression even of i flat out know its a carb issue. How can a carb be correctly tuned if there are other issues ahead of it.. Theres no way you could say not a valve issue with certainty.. So check them. It probably is a jet issue or float hight but rule out other possible causes first so your not chasing things.. Just my 2 cents..

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 04:29 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twayne24365 View Post
I used a rebuild kit with new jets/pilots Ill pull it back off and go over it again, I was just wondering if something else could be the culprit
Valves may need checked, but you have a carb problem. Where did you get the rebuild kit, OEM Mikuni, or From China? Put your old Mikuni jets and pilots back in. Run a small speaker wire thru all body orifices followed with carb/brake spray, and check "O" rings for cracking.

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 11:1 CP, +5 HR CRANK, PC3, +2 TB, LONE STAR XC +1, +1 A-ARMS, HD TIE RODS, JOGACA REAR SHOCK, ASV LEVERS, +4 REAR AXLE, DR.D REVERSE, ODI GRIPS, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode