Ran great.. until it didnt! - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dale_W

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Ran great.. until it didnt!

I've got the 2004 raptor 660 that randomly started running like crap! It ran great until it ran out of gas. Once I put new gas in it will start fine and idle great but as soon as I hit the throttle a little bit it starts to sputter and die out ending with a descent backfire. Also there is gas flowing from the overflow of the right side carb. Any thought are much appriciated! Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:52 AM

Well that's no fun.
It's been a long time since I've visited here. But now that riding weather has returned to Wisconsin I suspect I will be here more.
Two things come to mind with that gas overflow.
1) crap stuck in needle valve, not allowing it to shut.
2) float way out of adjustment.

Do not, do not, do not buy a Chinese rebuild kit for your carb. I see this warning all over this site, yet people still do it.
Just order the parts you need.

It sure does sound like it is time for a carb cleaning. If you've never done it before, it's not that terrible of job. But for sure read the many threads here on carb cleaning/rebuilding.

And be sure too keep the parts from each carb in their own container. They are not interchangeable, no matter if they look it to the naked eye.

Be sure to read up on the clear tube test. For the life of me I don't know how my son's 04 660 got the floats so far off.
They were not yet to the overflow point, but MAN, they were DUMPING gas into the engine.

Let us know how it goes.

The pro's here will be happy to guide you along the way.
morphrider and Scotscockney like this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks Dale! I have had the carb out and apart in order to adjust the floats. I believe the specs on that are 13mm.. ? But I put them to 15 do to an issue with the bike cutting out when in a wheelie. That definitely fixed that problem and has ran great ever since until now. From here I suppose I will check the adjustment on the floats as well as check the needle valve for any blockage. Just so I'm 100% clear.. the needle valve is the little tiny thing that hangs from the tab that you would bend in order to adjust the float correct?

Thank you for taking the time to help me out with this!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:54 PM
Lifetime VIP

Send a message via AIM to t web2007
Just so I'm 100% clear.. the needle valve is the little tiny thing that hangs from the tab that you would bend in order to adjust the float correct?

Thank you for taking the time to help me out with this![/QUOTE]

Yes

2015 700Rse
Fci, PC5F/I, monster exhaust, +2 Cuervo head, HDD5150, 54mm throttle body, 105.5 14:1, +8 swingarm.
08 yfz450se
Sparks big core, k&n no lid, yz needle, yz timing mod, +4 swingarm.
“Peepshow”
Cuervo 870, lectron, msd, monster megs, single a-arm lightened chasis, +14 swingarm.
”Monarchy”
Cuervo 930, lectron, msd, db fab titanium chasis.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Ok. Thanks again. It might take me a few due to kids and everything but once I get into the carbs I'll let you know what I find.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

One detail I forgot to mention is the fact that when I first wrote it after it sat for a couple weeks since my last ride it ran great for about 15 minutes and then it ran out of gas and the problem started when I put new gas in it and tried to go from there. It's like all of a sudden the issue began. I'm just wondering what may have triggered it and if running out of gas would have any effect on it?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 03:10 AM
Lifetime VIP

Send a message via AIM to t web2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjhoeslang View Post
One detail I forgot to mention is the fact that when I first wrote it after it sat for a couple weeks since my last ride it ran great for about 15 minutes and then it ran out of gas and the problem started when I put new gas in it and tried to go from there. It's like all of a sudden the issue began. I'm just wondering what may have triggered it and if running out of gas would have any effect on it?
Check the screen in the petcock, May have flushed some crap through.

2015 700Rse
Fci, PC5F/I, monster exhaust, +2 Cuervo head, HDD5150, 54mm throttle body, 105.5 14:1, +8 swingarm.
08 yfz450se
Sparks big core, k&n no lid, yz needle, yz timing mod, +4 swingarm.
“Peepshow”
Cuervo 870, lectron, msd, monster megs, single a-arm lightened chasis, +14 swingarm.
”Monarchy”
Cuervo 930, lectron, msd, db fab titanium chasis.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:39 AM

Thanks t web - good advice. Apologies for not checking back sooner.
bj: keep us posted. I just took a peek at the manual. Yes 13mm for the float height. If you set yours at 15mm, your floats will shut off the fuel flow earlier, keeping a lower level of gas in the bowl. This may cause running issues. The regulars will chime in on that.

On the overflow, one thing I could have mentioned and did not:
Man I cannot remember if these have the rubber tipped needle valve, or an all metal needle valve with a rubber replaceable seat.
I cant tell from the manual. The manual does say replace the needle valve and valve seat as a set. This is on page 7-5 of my manual.

Either the rubber tipped valve needle valve or the seat (it the needle valve is all metal) could be leaking from wear. Doubtful, but could be.
I have cleaned/polished the all-metal seat of other carbs with a q-tip soaked in carb cleaner to get a good seal. Take a look as long as you have it apart.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:18 PM

Check out this recent thread:

https://www.raptorforum.com/forums/6...low-issue.html

It talks about your overflow issue a bit clearer than I was.

Best of luck.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks to everyone who chimed in on my post! It was all really useful stuff espeacially what t-web had to say. You nailed it with the petcock. There was some crap clogging the screen, blew it out with some compressed air and now she's running great again! Thanks again everybody!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode