• 1 Post By Taylor Boling
  • 1 Post By QuadManiac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Raptor 660 electric start wiring problems

I have 2 raptor 660s I baught to fix both have the same problem. they won't turn over with the button. all that happens is the temp light comes on when you hit the button and the reverse light stays on when the Killswitch is in the on position its the same on both bikes. Nuetral light stays off on both. One needed a harness so I baught one and it seems like I have every thing plugged up right and they both seem to Match as far as wiring goes. The one that I replaced the harness will not even turn over even if I jump the solenoid it acts like it doesn't have the power to turn it over. It will turn over once or twice and weaken. It is a brand new starter and battery was being jumped with a jumper box. All electrical components have been replaced except the cdi so we can skip the basics. Main question is what could be stopping me from getting power to the starter from the button and why is my reverse light on. The one that isn't turning over but a few times and weakening could be something wrong with the motor or the decomp assembly for all I know.
Scotscockney likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Boling View Post
I have 2 raptor 660s I baught to fix both have the same problem. they won't turn over with the button. all that happens is the temp light comes on when you hit the button and the reverse light stays on when the Killswitch is in the on position its the same on both bikes. Nuetral light stays off on both. One needed a harness so I baught one and it seems like I have every thing plugged up right and they both seem to Match as far as wiring goes. The one that I replaced the harness will not even turn over even if I jump the solenoid it acts like it doesn't have the power to turn it over. It will turn over once or twice and weaken. It is a brand new starter and battery was being jumped with a jumper box. All electrical components have been replaced except the cdi so we can skip the basics. Main question is what could be stopping me from getting power to the starter from the button and why is my reverse light on. The one that isn't turning over but a few times and weakening could be something wrong with the motor or the decomp assembly for all I know.
Hello,check valve clearances on BOTH,run through stickys about common problems,eliminate those first.I had similar other week,mine was decompression pin had had a hissy fit.check valves first.Good luck

2002 Raptor 660,street quad,hotcams stage 1, motion pro twist throttle conversion,+1 inch wheel spacers front,+2 inch spacers rear,XTZ left hand switch cluster,shaved front bodywork,Maxis streetmax f+r, Alloy Boltz Inc stainless steel 600 piece fasterner kit. K+N filter. MotoGP grips.TM Designworks drain plug.Roads like Isle Of Man TT course
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:45 AM

After you eliminate those on sticky lists an easy check for decompression is remove spark plug and see if engine will turn over on starter,if it does then in my opinion your decompression pin is knackered.Quadmaniac will be on at some point,he has lots of 660 experience.Download manual from stickys in maintenance section.Also what year are your rappy's?Good luck

2002 Raptor 660,street quad,hotcams stage 1, motion pro twist throttle conversion,+1 inch wheel spacers front,+2 inch spacers rear,XTZ left hand switch cluster,shaved front bodywork,Maxis streetmax f+r, Alloy Boltz Inc stainless steel 600 piece fasterner kit. K+N filter. MotoGP grips.TM Designworks drain plug.Roads like Isle Of Man TT course

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

I got the turning over problem figured out. I underestimated the importance of a good battery even when you are using a jump box. I got the one I had to put the harness on to run today. They will both turn over while jumping the solenoid now but not with the push buttons you just get a temp light flash and reverse stay on at all times on both. Both have new solenoids. One is an 03 and one is an 04
Scotscockney likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Update**** I got the no rev situation figured out still had to jump the solenoid but i grounded the reverse sensor wire and now the reverse light went off and I cleaned the carbs. I can now rev the motor up and the clutch no longer does. The issues im having now is it was smoking really bad I thaught maybe it needed a minute to reseat the rings but it continued to puff white smoke out like a chimney. After I cut it off I checked the oil and there was a ton of water in it. Also the right side carb was still smoking out the intake and puffing either gas or water out of it. Only way the bike would idle was at least half choke and it kept dying. It died the last time before I checked the oil and I haven't been able to get the starter to turn the motor back over but motor is still turning over if you push it and pop the clutch. I don't know why its no longer tuning over but my main concern is the water in the oil and the white smoke from exhaust and right side carb.
Scotscockney likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Boling View Post
Update**** I got the no rev situation figured out still had to jump the solenoid but i grounded the reverse sensor wire and now the reverse light went off and I cleaned the carbs. I can now rev the motor up and the clutch no longer does. The issues im having now is it was smoking really bad I thaught maybe it needed a minute to reseat the rings but it continued to puff white smoke out like a chimney. After I cut it off I checked the oil and there was a ton of water in it. Also the right side carb was still smoking out the intake and puffing either gas or water out of it. Only way the bike would idle was at least half choke and it kept dying. It died the last time before I checked the oil and I haven't been able to get the starter to turn the motor back over but motor is still turning over if you push it and pop the clutch. I don't know why its no longer tuning over but my main concern is the water in the oil and the white smoke from exhaust and right side carb.
Damn,sounds like cylinder head gasket has blown..do you also have oil in coolant?I was hopein' Quadmaniac would be on some time as he'll have better idea's on next move.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:45 PM
Master of the Electron

1) do you have coolant in the oil, oil in the coolant or coolant being forced out of the overflow when you're riding? Sure sounds like head gasket, cracked head or cracked cylinder (gasket most likely)
2) if it's jetted stock then you need the filter, snorkel and airbox lid installed or it won't run well at all
3) good job on the reverse switch wire - now disconnect the parking brake switch wires as well to make sure they don't become an issue.

You seem to be describing issues with just one of the quads now... what happened with the other one?

RE: starting with start button - pull in the clutch lever when starting - the CDI needs to see either that you're in neutral OR that the clutch is pulled before it will send voltage to the starter relay (solenoid). Since your neutral light is not working, I'm going to assume that the CDI doesn't see that you are in neutral either.

SO, when pulling the clutch does the starter now crank or do you hear a CLICK from the relay when you push the start button?

If no starter:
does the starter still turn the engine over when you short across the two large starter relay lugs with a screwdriver - if not you have battery or battery/starter cable issues (or starter or engine issues, but not as likely}.

If no click:
1) to start with the switch you must have 12V at the yellow/black wire on the starter relay and it must stay 12V when you push the start button.
2) Also you must have 12V on the blue/white wire at the relay and it must go to near zero when you push the button.

RE the neutral light - the neutral switch is next to the reverse switch and has a light blue wire attached to it with a screw... make sure the attachment is tight and clean. Grounding the attachment point (with the wire still attached) should turn on the light.

A lot to absorb, but let us know where you end up after going through these suggestions/tests

AND - Welcome to the forum!
Scotscockney likes this.

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Last edited by QuadManiac; 05-15-2019 at 02:11 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Ok so here's an update. The one does have a blown head gasket or cracked something most likely just a gasket probably wasn't torque to spec when they done the 686 kit. it is getting coolant/water in the oil and it's smoking white smoke ( hoping it's just the gasket and not bad rings causing the smoke) Also i got the not having enough juice to turn over even by jumping the solenoid thing figured out turns out because of the water filling up the cylinder the motor was not able to turn over if you pull the plug and force the water out it will turn over until it runs for a minute and refills with water. I have someone who will replace the rings and head gasket for 200 if I buy the parts but it seems a little cheap to me so I'm not sure if I'm confident in the person's ability they say they work on ATVs all the time but is that too cheap? I could do it myself but i don't have the time. I also have some concerns about the clutch on that one it was locked up and I thaught it may free up when I get it running which it seemed too but the bike didn't move. Once it was running I pulled the clutch in and out it in gear I released the clutch and the bike didn't stall out it just stayed running so idk what would cause that. Also I tried to give it gas but it just died once I gave it gas didn't seem to move forward any. The other one I had concerns with I got the electric start to work and I'm just not getting spark now I was told when I buaght it needed a cdi so i ordered one and waiting. Thanks for All the help
Scotscockney likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode