Raptor Forum banner

Chain tensioner bolts broke off

464 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Dale_W 
#1 ·
My chain tensioner bolts are broken off in my swing arms and I need to change my chain Is it possible to put an external chain tensioner on it like on small motorcycles? Or just to loosen the 2 big bolts and rap it with a hammer until tight and snug them back up?

#2 ·
Hi Taylor, I see you have pretty few posts, so let me say welcome aboard. I don't visit often, and I will add there are a few great members here that will likely chime in soon.

My son has a '04 660. I can almost envision how much clearance there is to work on those bolts. Almost.

Gotta tell you, this is something I'd do right. That means extracting the broken off bolts.

You can visit countless youtube videos with different techniques on bolt removal. I have had decent luck with easy-out bolt extractors.

Worse case scenario, and I have done this, re-drill, and re-tap, buy yourself the next larger size replacement bolts.

Can you loosen the two large bolts and rap the housing back? I guess you could. I just like to fix things right. Doing it right in this case also means you can line your rear axle up square.

Somebody else will be along with other ideas soon, I'm sure..

Let us know how it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.