Raptor Forum banner

2002 660

508 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Scotscockney 
#1 ·
I've had this bike for about 5 years. I have issue with it almost from the start. I had the carbs cleaned/rebuilt at the local Yamaha dealership and took it out and blew the starter clutch. Got it fixed and had to have the carbs done a gain, not sure what the deal was there. Carb issues remained, bought a known god set off Ebay, cleaned/rebuilt myself no issues. When the starter clutch went out, it sucked the bolt heads into the case and threw one through the top of case. I bought a case off Ebay and had the top end swapped over by a ATV mechanic that I know. After getting it back on put back in the frame, it was running okay. But it had sat for a couple years, so bought a carb rebuild just so that everything was clean and fresh. New battery, new twist throttle, new choke cable. Running rough due to mis-tuned carbs. When I had time to start looking at the carbs, bike had no power. Found the Negative/Ground wire had melted down as well as a couple other ground wires that it attached to. Replaced all wires that appeared to be damaged, but every time I try and start it now, the same wires melt down again. What am I missing?

#2 ·
Hi,I assume the melting wires are attached to left hand side case bolts?If so remove spark plug,then try cranking engine.If it cranks over then IMO your decompression pin has failed in some way (I had similar happen n kept melting cables).if it's failed the starter can't turn over fully because compression is to high and causes lots of heat at negative cable mounts.But like I said that's just my opinion.:wink

#3 ·
LOL,I should have added download service manual from stickys in maintainence section,check ALL conections,check valve clearences,veiw common starting problems in stickys.sorry my head is up my $^%£ at moment.:frown

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.