Raptor Forum banner

Starter button and kill switch not working

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  QuadManiac 
#1 ·
New to the forum. Been doing a lot of reading but havent came across a problem exactly like mine.

I recently bought a 2004 Raptor 660 it was sitting for a long time A lot of it was a part put it all back together. The battery held a charge. put new starter solenoid on, patched up a few wires cleaned out the carburetors, headlights work brake lights work all the lights, neutral, reverse lights all come on when I push starter button but nothing happens when I cross it at the solenoid it starts right up but will not shut off with kill switch must turn fuel off and run out of gas or pop the clutch to turn it off I checked the starter switch on the left side handlebars it's all clean almost looks brand new I am not sure if my solenoid is exactly wired correctly I will attach a picture of how it was when I got it I recently bought a new solenoid
and cleaned up positive and negative battery terminals and put new solenoid on the way it was when I received it someone you please help me thank you.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
That doesn't look stock to me, is it?

In stock form, Red is 12v from the fuse and then goes to the key switch. Yellow/black is 12v from a CDI transistor leading to one side of the solenoid coil. Blue/black is the other side of the solenoid coil and goes to the start button, which pulls the blue/black to ground when pushed.

It is nearly impossible to tell you what to do when your wiring is butchered and non-stock.

The run/stop switch is supposed to be the ONLY 12V provided to the CDI via red/black wire... sounds like not in your case.

IMO, if you can't figure out what is necessary to make the quad start, run and stop, you better carefully return it to original wiring connections as defined in the manual.

All you MUST have are power to the CDI from the run/start switch, black CDI ground, transistor switched power from CDI to solenoid, wire from solenoid to start button and the neutral or clutch switch wire grounded so the CDI will allow a start - and all the stator wires and orange to coil + coil ground.

Reactions: Scotscockney
#3 ·
No I do not think it is stock at all but this is how I got it. I found some pics online of some other solenoids and it looks like I have my wires hooked up wrong. But I will start checking all the readings in the morning and go from there. But I am gonna add 2 pics to this comment. 1st one will be mine and 2nd one will be how I've seen others. When u look at the colors on the 2nd one then I have mine wrong. I no I did test the back to prongs on my solenoid and they both lit my test lite up but did not have ohm meter then. AMD all wire were disconnected. I'm just really confused as in why the kill switch wont work. When I got it I followed all wires and repaired and grounded spots or breaks that I found.

Attachments

#4 ·
Your 1st post says you replaced it... your last says that's how you got it. Now I'M confused!

BTW it is NOT a kill switch. It is a POWER switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.