Raptor Forum banner

2001 660 intermittent 1/4 throttle sputter

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  719bigbore 
#1 ·
I have a 01 660r. Rode fine the first day I bought it then the next day it sputters at 1/4 throttle the revs fine after you muscle past that but only when you let the clutch out! Revs fine in neutral. I took it to the dealer and they told me it needed a top and bottom end. I went with the 719 stroker kit and when they had it finished i went to pick it up and it has the same problem. It is intermittent. Sometimes it rides great for awhile the back to it. It has the reverse rev limiter bypass and I have checked and redone the wire. It blows a little black smoke while sputtering. Carbs were gone thru multiple time by them and me. I'm at a loss any advise is appreciated.

#2 ·
Ok so I have figured it out. the plunger that holds the needle down in the diaphragm on the left hand carb popped up and let the spring out. When I tried to put it back together it broke a plastic piece around the boring off so I ordered a new one on ebay. In the meantime I glued it in place and it is running perfectly now. The needle was just going up all the way when I hit the throttle and flooding it out until the right hand carb kicked in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.