Need help!!! Coolant in oil - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Need help!!! Coolant in oil

Ive owned my raptor for about a year now. When I bought it 2nd gear was missing a tooth. So took me a long time to take it apart and put it back together. About a month ago i got it running, ran a little rough but was warming up. I checked the oil and i saw it turned milky and green( due to coolant leaking) I thought it was the crappy waterpump seal. I bought a new one. Replaced it tried it again. Nothing still green oil. ( only ran for a few seconds. Got a whole new water pump did the same thing. Then i went to the head gasket. I replaced it torqued it all down to specs. same exact thing. I cleaned all the surfaces on the cylinder and head. Spotless. It had a few imperfections but that was all out of the range of the gasket. At this point im thinking it’s either the bolts that hold it together, since they are TTY (torque to yield bolts) Or a crack in the head or cylinder...... but checking the cylinder and water jackets there is now real way for the coolant and oil to mix within seconds. Im really lost on this and I genuinely don’t know what to do. If anyone has any advice or diagnostics please let me know. I already sunk enough money into this machine. Thanks always, jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRumler45 View Post
Ive owned my raptor for about a year now. When I bought it 2nd gear was missing a tooth. So took me a long time to take it apart and put it back together. About a month ago i got it running, ran a little rough but was warming up. I checked the oil and i saw it turned milky and green( due to coolant leaking) I thought it was the crappy waterpump seal. I bought a new one. Replaced it tried it again. Nothing still green oil. ( only ran for a few seconds. Got a whole new water pump did the same thing. Then i went to the head gasket. I replaced it torqued it all down to specs. same exact thing. I cleaned all the surfaces on the cylinder and head. Spotless. It had a few imperfections but that was all out of the range of the gasket. At this point im thinking itís either the bolts that hold it together, since they are TTY (torque to yield bolts) Or a crack in the head or cylinder...... but checking the cylinder and water jackets there is now real way for the coolant and oil to mix within seconds. Im really lost on this and I genuinely donít know what to do. If anyone has any advice or diagnostics please let me know. I already sunk enough money into this machine. Thanks always, jack
well i was going to say head gasket but you changed that...... thats a tough one do you have a fuel controller or stock bike hopefully you didnt blow head gasget again

CHECK OUT MY INSTAGRAM @RAPTORMAN_406 OR YOUTUBE RAPTORMAN406 !! RAPTORMAN406.COM
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Its bare bone stock. Only real aftermarket parts are like nerf bars, and grips. Engine is completely stock besides the new gaskets

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRumler45 View Post
Its bare bone stock. Only real aftermarket parts are like nerf bars, and grips. Engine is completely stock besides the new gaskets

hmm ill think on it.. thats a tough one

CHECK OUT MY INSTAGRAM @RAPTORMAN_406 OR YOUTUBE RAPTORMAN406 !! RAPTORMAN406.COM
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man, anything can help. My father thinks its the head bolts. Since they are reused. And the TTY bolts. But that would mess with the compression and force bubbles into the coolant. I don’t see any of that. Im stumped.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:17 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Check your head for warpage. Always use a factory head gasket. Be sure all the alignment bushings are in place for the cylinder and head. But, my money is on a bad water pump seal.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 11:1 CP, +5 HR CRANK, PC3, +2 TB, LONE STAR XC +1, +1 A-ARMS, HD TIE RODS, JOGACA REAR SHOCK, ASV LEVERS, +4 REAR AXLE, DR.D REVERSE, ODI GRIPS, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS'
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=DEZPERADO;3449971]Check your head for warpage. Always use a factory head gasket. Be sure all the alignment bushings are in place for the cylinder and head. But, my money is on a bad water pump seal.

How to i check the seal? Ive gone through 2 the original that i got with the bike it was pretty crappy. Another one i bought. My brother fiddled with it and broke it and this new water pump housing bought off of ebay. The thing is, the last time I started the quad i put fresh oil in it about a week ago. I removed the oil drain plug. The oil looked fresh and new. I just turned the engine over for a while just to get the oil pumping. The second it started for about 4-6 seconds it immediately mixed. It ran roughly though. So could that be head gasket? Thanks for the relpy too!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:58 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
So, one seal was crappy, another one your brother broke, and then a new housing from ebay?? Was it really new or new to you. Was it OEM or a Chinese replacement?

If it's a head gasket it or the head are really bad. 4-5 seconds isn't enough time to build pressure in the radiator, but the turning water pomp would shoe immediately.

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 11:1 CP, +5 HR CRANK, PC3, +2 TB, LONE STAR XC +1, +1 A-ARMS, HD TIE RODS, JOGACA REAR SHOCK, ASV LEVERS, +4 REAR AXLE, DR.D REVERSE, ODI GRIPS, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS'

Last edited by DEZPERADO; 06-26-2019 at 12:01 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZPERADO View Post
So, one seal was crappy, another one your brother broke, and then a new housing from ebay?? Was it really new or new to you. Was it OEM or a Chinese replacement?

If it's a head gasket it or the head are really bad. 4-5 seconds isn't enough time to build pressure in the radiator, but the turning water pomp would shoe immediately.
This is an oem waterpump. It's stock I checked the weep hole which wasn't blocked, and when I took the housing off there was still clean oil where it would sit. It's a tough one now could having contaminated oil do this? I tried flushing it but it still seemed to mix. I don't want to sound cheap but I'm a student and work a minimum wage job and I need to decide if it's a head issue or just something small
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

I have photos of this seal it looks a little worn but from what i can tell it was working fine. Nothing spattered out the weep hole while it ran and, and the coolant level dropped quickly but wasn’t noticeable if you weren’t watching it, i was watching it. Im looking at the head right now and i got 320 grit sand paper to just clean it up before I installed it there are still some scratches on it but non of them are on the main sealing area

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode