Raptor Forum banner

Purchased an 05. Have a few questions for ya guys

736 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  morphrider 
#1 ·
So I have just purchased an 05 raptor 660. It seems very well taken care of. I do have a few minor concerns though of things I can’t figure out because I don’t know much about them. My first concern: this bike has a full exhaust (don’t remember the name but it isn’t a main brand) that sounds like it has zero baffles in it, and the bike has a k&n airfilter. No other airbox mods. And a high compression piston The bike runs great! However I had to turn the idle speed up a 1/8 of a turn to keep it dying at idle so I think that’s normal. I’m concerned what my jetting is or if it’s correct? How can I check for this? Idles fine now, seems to have power. There may have been one point in 3rd or 4th it dropped off for a second or less starting out in that gear than picked up and screamed off. (Wasn’t trans slipping as motor didn’t increase in rpm). The only other indicator I have about jetting is the bike doesn’t back fire but it pops and gets all raspy on decel, picks back up fine though. Would this be enough to check jetting (if so what would you put in?) or would ya turn the fuel screws out a 1/4 at a time till it clears?
Issue number 2: I think something is incorrectly adjusted for the clutch. I get it it’s a wet clutch. It’s going to move a bit in gear cold. My problems are though my lever travels maybe 1/4 of an inch before it even grabs the cable so it’s hard to gauge how much free play the cable actually has. And down on the right case at the release arm I noticed when the arm returns it doesn’t return far enough to pull all the slack out of the clutch cable to tighten up clutch lever. I have to manually pull it back to do it. Won’t reset in this location. So I decided to order a new clutch cable since this one is probably stretched and it isn’t the smoothest. But also I was wondering if the release arm is in the incorrect spot. I’m a pretty strong guy but I can barely push it forward manually from where it releases too even with the return spring off. So what am I missing? At what point do the alignment marks needs to line up? At a rest or is there supposed to be play before it gets hard against clutch springs, I also don’t understand why there is that play and the arm won’t retract all the way to pull the cable slack out. Where should I start?

PS. Sorry for the long post, I’ve been driving myself nuts for hours reading articles and articles and trying to find videos and the answers I have gotten give me a general idea but are unclear.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The full pipe is a good thing, if it is super loud chances are the packing just needs to be replaced. The rough idleing could be your idle mixture adjustment. If your high compression piston is greater then about 11 to 1, you will need to run high octane fuel, about 100 for a 12 to 1 compression. The clutch cable goodness should be just a simple adjustment. You can turn your adjuster at the lever out or there should be another adjuster down where the clutch is. You want about an eight of an inch. Overall sounds like your have a great bike. Before you do a ton, always make sure your air filter is clean and your spark plug is in perfect condidtion.. if in doubt, plugs are cheap.
Also, the popping on decel is normal. Either delete your ais valve which will help a great deal, or stop hearing the popping as it really does not hurt anything.

#3 ·
I’m an advocate of loud pipes save life’s and I even think it’s way to loud. I’ll have to look into that. And possibly another 1/4 turn on mixture adjustments. My only other question I have concerning the clutch is how exactly do you ensure the release arm down on the case is correctly adjusted? I can only find a solid video on a raptor 700. Thanks for your reply!

#5 ·
Ok, welcome to the forum for one.

For two, alcohol is highly involved in this reply but your clutch lever to me sounds ideal. My 700 is in that zone, my wife's is damn near all the way out before it connects. Hate it, and I have adjusted it. Think I need a new clutch possibly for it.

For 3, I skimmed over your post, please look at first sentence of prior paragraph. Ya, whiskey tonight....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.