Charging system issue. - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Charging system issue.

So I just got a 04 raptor 660 and it won’t charge the battery. I get 11.4 volts to the battery. I run it and disconnect the battery and it dies. But if I have it slightly revved up and disconnect it it will stay running. If I disconnect the regulator and disconnect the battery it shuts off no matter what. I’ve tested the stater but got 0 resistance and volts coming out the three white wires. But if I unplug the stater it dies bc the battery dies. I’m so confused right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:27 PM

It sounds to me like you need a rectifier.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

I don’t know if this makes a difference but when revving the voltage basically doesn’t change. And If I unplug the regulator and disconnect the battery it dies so it’s giving some charge

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:42 AM
Master of the Electron

Welcome to the forum!

You need to measure AC voltage (you will see 0 DC) across the three pairings of white wires from the stator.

1- charge the battery with an external charger for at least 24 hours.
2-measure across each of the 3 pairings of three stator white wires DISCONNECTED from the regulator - should be well above 15VAC each when above idle.
3-plug back into regulator - should not drop much in voltage - if it drops a lot the stator may be the problem.
4-if you have 15-20 VAC across the whites when plugged in but the battery remains in the 12V range (not up to at least 13.5VDC when above idle) then the regulator is probably bad.

BTW, the resistance across pairs of whites are a fraction of an Ohm, too low for a normal meter to measure accurately - seeing 0 Ohms or close it on a digital Ohm meter is to be expected.

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Last edited by QuadManiac; 07-23-2019 at 02:45 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

So. I was an idiot and test the wrong side of the plug. Got plenty of ac volts bc I accidentally used dc last time. That’s what trying to do something in a rush gets ya. But tested the regulator and got .535 , .530 and .490 so I figure it’s the regulator. But guy I got it from is giving me a big bore kit and found out he ran it without oil so the rings are shot and it’d smoked really bad. So earlier today I tore it down to Frame and doing a top end rebuild painting the frame and some other stuff. Thanks for the help!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 01:58 PM
Master of the Electron

Good luck with the rebuild!

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode