2005 raptor 660 - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mopar21440

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

2005 raptor 660

Good evening everyone, I now own a 05 raptor 660 for the price of 0 dollars. I do small engine repair on the side and I was brought this machine as a no start. Found hole in valve cover due to broken decompression unit and one ear off camshaft where sprocket bolts to. Provided customer estimate to repair and asked if I would take machine for payment of labor to diagnose, I said of course. I got all the parts needed to repair and get machine running. I wanted to quickly assess the bottom end as I never have heard it run so instead of tediously cleaning carbs, I did keep them and they are currently apart and in cleaning solution, I ordered carbs off amazon for around 70 bucks (zoom zoom I think is the brand). I know cheap aftermarket parts aren't quality but I just wanted to know if machine was worth the restoration it deserved so 70 bucks for a plug and play carb set made sense for me (I just wanted to hear it idle and do a lap around the property). I did just that, I was impressed at how well it actually ran with those carbs on it, all I did was set idle. Obviously it didn't run perfect but engine sounds healthy. I will do my best to keep this build updated but just know time is something I don't have a lot of. My first question is in regards to those carbs. I know they are not true mikunis but man they look similar. I replaced the pilots with 25's already but they had a 45 in them? Thing was massive! im observing the main jet and needle and it is obvious the needle is completely different. Having trouble uploading pictures but once I can I will. The design and thickness of the needle tip is completely different (aftermarket carb needles way skinnier then factory), I removed the cover and slide and even the diaphragm is different (way to big, once carb top is almost on, rubber is all folded and misshaped). My question is if I order a name brand reputable jet kit that comes with needles (dynojet as an example) to accommodate the performance parts on machine, will carbs function properly or are even the bodies/passages/other parts of the aftermarket carbs not spec to the factory? im ok with ditching them completely, but if changing all the serviceable items will make them work properly, I will do that. I just have never dealt with cheap aftermarket carbs. I appreciate any input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:41 PM
POTW Moderator

Garage
Welcome to the forum, I don't deal with the 660's but I have seen enough threads to know you need to ditch those cheap carbs. You want to run OEM for the best performance and not be chasing issues down the road with it not running correctly.

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
PRM Edge Baja bumper w/12" Cree spot/flood bar
PRM Desert grab bar
PRM A-Arm skids, GYTR skid, ProArmor swinger skid
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 11:45 PM
Master of the Electron

IMO the originals don't wear out... they just need careful, thorough cleaning.

The cheap, Chinese eBay carbs are complete unknowns and I have yet to hear of ANYONE that is very satisfied with them.

Everything is just a bit different so you have no common starting points to get there from here! Again IMO, clean and re-jet (using Dyno jets and needles) the originals when you have modified the airbox.

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I figured that would be the response. I will continue the build with the stock carbs, but once quad is setup properly and carbs are tuned properly, I may mimic them with the cheap carbs and see if it runs any different even though carbs will be identical, for my own curious reasons. my pictures are to large to upload, how do I make the image smaller, do I use paint?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 01:15 AM
Master of the Electron

In Windows right click on any jpeg image and one of the drop-down choices is "Resize Picture".

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Hey everyone, sorry it took so long for pictures, been super busy. I have much more to post but this is the machine when I acquired it

plastics are crooked in some pictures because they are just sitting there, only thing it is missing cosmetically is a headlight assembly and reverse lever is broken so I think I did ok being I paid nothing for it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	raptor 1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	133089   Click image for larger version

Name:	raptor 7.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	133091   Click image for larger version

Name:	raptor 2.jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	133093   Click image for larger version

Name:	raptor 6.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	133095   Click image for larger version

Name:	raptor 4.jpg
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	133097  

Click image for larger version

Name:	raptor 5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	133099  
morphrider likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 08:09 PM
POTW Moderator

Garage
I wouldn't pass at that price either.

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
PRM Edge Baja bumper w/12" Cree spot/flood bar
PRM Desert grab bar
PRM A-Arm skids, GYTR skid, ProArmor swinger skid
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in