Timing chain slap? - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

This forum is amazing, i just have a small question. I just finished my rebuild, ive been riding it a bit, only has about 5 hours on the engine, ive read up that they are a little noisy, especially with the valvetrain, i try to send a video of it idling, my father is saying it sounds fine but i just need to be sure, i put so much work into it and I don’t want it to blow, the sound is a loud metallic kind of “slap” its not piston slap or anything like that, it’s definitely on the stator side, and where the chain is. Im just wondering if i just need a new timing chain or something else is at blame here. Also there is like a metal gliter in my oil. I thought it was just the new gears wearing but now it seems like it would be from the chain hitting the head, its aluminum glitter. Thanks all!

Last edited by JRumler45; 08-11-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Here is the engine running just copy the link https://youtu.be/heV68Pi-N3c
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:47 PM

that sounds a bit noisy. Is that warmed up or cold? when did you adjust and what did you adjust your valves to? did you adjust them cold or with engine warm. you say just finished rebuild but u state u may need new timing chain? what parts were replaced? is it stock or is there aftermarket parts in that engine? cam, piston, valve springs? just need more information

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar21440 View Post
that sounds a bit noisy. Is that warmed up or cold? when did you adjust and what did you adjust your valves to? did you adjust them cold or with engine warm. you say just finished rebuild but u state u may need new timing chain? what parts were replaced? is it stock or is there aftermarket parts in that engine? cam, piston, valve springs? just need more information
my bad about that, all stock, it had aftermarket things on it, “cosmetics” engine itself was stock besides an alba racing exhaust, 2nd gear blew so i had to split the cases, nothing has been done to piston, valves cam, all that, besides new rings, I haven’t checked the valve clearance but like you said this is very noisy, now i do have an after market timing chain tensioner. I just read up and heard bad experiences about the automatic ones, so i like to play it safe with manually adjusted tensioner. (The engine is also at running temp) about 213-220)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 11:24 PM
Master of the Electron

1) The 660 engine is noisier (more clattery) than my other quads.

2) I have NEVER heard of any issues with the stock, properly installed, auto-tensioner.

3) You can measure chain stretch by properly examining the auto-tensioner... don't know if yours can help you there. I'd go back to stock.

4) normal operating temp is below 208F

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Last edited by QuadManiac; 08-11-2019 at 11:34 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadManiac View Post
1) The 660 engine is noisier (more clattery) than my other quads.

2) I have NEVER heard of any issues with the stock, properly installed, auto-tensioner.

3) You can measure chain stretch by properly examining the auto-tensioner... don't know if yours can help you there. I'd go back to stock.

4) normal operating temp is below 208F
i went to check the chain tensioner about a week ago, the stock one, I don’t know for sure if i did it right, but it was all the way out, like it could not extend anymore, i left it like that and installed it, it had a decent amount of tension on it, this sound is almost at the bottom end, around the stator. I was reading alot of forums on the clatter i just want to make sure this isn’t “too much” clatter. It does sound metallic like. But i trust you on the stock tensioner. Ill go back to it and see if anything changes, thank you for the responses too
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:39 PM
Master of the Electron

NOOOOO! You must take the center bolt and spring out, then release the pawl on the tensioner so it compresses to minimum length, THEN install it and finally put in the spring and center bolt. It will now auto tension. What you did (installing fully extended) is sure to cause noise and damage. Fix it NOW! This has been known to actually break the cam in half!

Then run it a bit. Remove the center bolt and spring, then remove the tensioner and see how far out it is... if not near the end of travel chain is ok. If end, chain needs replacement.

Then, follow the top paragraph instructions to re-install the tensioner (after everything else has been installed.)

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Last edited by QuadManiac; 08-12-2019 at 11:43 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadManiac View Post
NOOOOO! You must take the center bolt and spring out, then release the pawl on the tensioner so it compresses to minimum length, THEN install it and finally put in the spring and center bolt. It will now auto tension. What you did (installing fully extended) is sure to cause noise and damage. Fix it NOW! This has been known to actually break the cam in half!

Then run it a bit. Remove the center bolt and spring, then remove the tensioner and see how far out it is... if not near the end of travel chain is ok. If end, chain needs replacement.

Then, follow the top paragraph instructions to re-install the tensioner (after everything else has been installed.)
WILL DO sorry about that, rebuilt the whole thing I can’t afford to snap the cam, thanks for the advice ill let you know how it goes, and if it’s stretched would it be making that kind of knocking sound? Im also going to adjust the valves while i am in there
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:40 AM

I just changed my timing chain and cam sprocket, with the gasket it cost 100 Canadian for the Original Yamaha one, I’d replace it , it sounds like mine did, my chain was stiff and actually wouldn’t bend on quarter of the links, I’d replace it
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I just changed my timing chain and cam sprocket, with the gasket it cost 100 Canadian for the Original Yamaha one, I’d replace it , it sounds like mine did, my chain was stiff and actually wouldn’t bend on quarter of the links, I’d replace it
im planning on doing it, its way over due, what was the easiest way to do it? Do you have to remove the whole head or can you feed it through?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode