lonestar swingarm bearings, and help identifying stroker crank - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
lonestar swingarm bearings, and help identifying stroker crank

hi everybody, I am new to the forum but I have been reading alot of posts and I'm happy to be finally part of the group...

so I have a few things that I need to figure out, and I have been searching for weeks and reading through countless posts, but I cannot find the answers that I need...

I picked up a lone star +4 swingarm for my 01 660 that I was hoping to be able to install this next week, but I need to know if I can use a stock bearing kit (not the carrier bearing just the pivot) or will I have to get them from LSR? because as far I can tell the LSR set comes with bearings only, and I would have to get a stock kit for the seals etc anyways, or maybe I will get one of each if they fit and put double bearings in since there is room for that... this is my main concern

my other issue is that I also picked up an unidentified stroker crank, and again after weeks and hour's worth of sifting through posts I have come up with absolutely squat besides one picture that look similar... I believe it is a Barker +4 and I will post pictures as soon as I have a chance, but the guy I bought it from said it is a +4 and that was all he knew

so that is my dilemma, I would love to be able to slap that crank in and bore my spare cylinder to 102 mm and throw a high-compression piston in and make it a 720 beast, but I really need to know what I'm dealing with because if I need a special piston (like with the hotrods stroker crank) or if the crank won't clear the case (please correct me if I'm wrong) if I remember right anything more than +4mm needs case modifications for it to clear?

again I'm glad to finally be a member of the group, and any insight or pictures that would help me would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey guys so I took some pictures of that crank today... the crank has '5903 660 rap' scratched into it, and the rod is stamped with 22812 and the bottom looks to be ground down possibly to clear the case? and the crank looks like it's been balanced? But honestly I have no idea, I'm really hoping somebody here can tell me something... I tried to measure the rod height difference next to a stock crank but I couldn't get a good enough measurement.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 09:52 PM
POTW Moderator

Garage
Welcome to the forum, I have no words of wisdom concerning your questions other than just hang in there for answers to these questions. Especially around a holiday weekend.
MetalRox3 likes this.

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
PRM Edge Baja bumper w/12" Cree spot/flood bar
PRM Desert grab bar
PRM A-Arm skids, GYTR skid, ProArmor swinger skid
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 01:49 AM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Factory or aftermarket pivot bearings will fit your swingarm.

The crank is a little more complicated. It may be a longer stroke with a shorter rod and use a stock piston. Or, longer stroke and stock length rod and require a stroker piston OR a spacer plate under the cylinder and longer timing chain. You would have to compare the factory crank to the Barker, maybe even mock up the crank in a case half, cylinder and piston. AND, check the bottom of the cases to see if some trenching (machining) is necessary. That said, I don't like the grinder marks on the rod!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Awesome thanks for the info! I'm excited lol definitely gonna order some bearings ASAP so I can get that swingarm put on...

And as far as the crank, IDK why I didn't think of that, I have enough parts laying around I can mock it up and check the clearances etc...

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
But do you think the grinding on the rod is going to affect it? Strength and durability wise I mean?

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Taylor View Post
But do you think the grinding on the rod is going to affect it? Strength and durability wise I mean?

It's hard to tell from the picture if it would cause a problem. The majority of force isn't at the bottom of the rod. In other situations I would dress the scratches to be polished and re-leave stress. But, in this case it may weaken it more. You might seek advice from a local machinist

On your swingarm, idk if the 660 is the same as the 700, but... The 700 pivot bearing kit will come with one bearing and one bushing per side. BUT, there is room for a third bearing or bushing per side. It may be possible to use some from your old swingarm for additional support.
MetalRox3 likes this.

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZPERADO View Post
Factory or aftermarket pivot bearings will fit your swingarm.

The crank is a little more complicated. It may be a longer stroke with a shorter rod and use a stock piston. Or, longer stroke and stock length rod and require a stroker piston OR a spacer plate under the cylinder and longer timing chain. You would have to compare the factory crank to the Barker, maybe even mock up the crank in a case half, cylinder and piston. AND, check the bottom of the cases to see if some trenching (machining) is necessary. That said, I don't like the grinder marks on the rod!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.
just a quick question about all this... when I mock up the stroker crank vs the stock crank, everything else being equal on both, and provided it is a stock length rod I should be able to measure the difference in TDC to tell me the added stroke correct?

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 02:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Taylor View Post
just a quick question about all this... when I mock up the stroker crank vs the stock crank, everything else being equal on both, and provided it is a stock length rod I should be able to measure the difference in TDC to tell me the added stroke correct?

You would see the difference in the stroker pin being offset in the crank half's. But, be aware that a 4mm stroker will have the pin only 2mm difference. At BDC (bottom dead center) the piston is 2mm lower, and then at TDC (top dead center) the piston is 2mm higher, total of 4mm additional stroke. When mocked up with the stroker crank, stock piston and cylinder you'll want to check that the piston is at or slightly below deck height. If so, no spacer or extended timing chain is needed. Before final assembly it would be a good idea to 'clay' the valves to verify piston to valve clearance.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZPERADO View Post
You would see the difference in the stroker pin being offset in the crank half's. But, be aware that a 4mm stroker will have the pin only 2mm difference. At BDC (bottom dead center) the piston is 2mm lower, and then at TDC (top dead center) the piston is 2mm higher, total of 4mm additional stroke. When mocked up with the stroker crank, stock piston and cylinder you'll want to check that the piston is at or slightly below deck height. If so, no spacer or extended timing chain is needed. Before final assembly it would be a good idea to 'clay' the valves to verify piston to valve clearance.
ok yeah I'll have to throw some of my parts together and see what I can find... another question though, what will the compression increase over stock be with say 4mm stroke?

I currently have a 100.5mm wiseco 10.5:1 HC piston, although I looked to see what they had for 102mm and I see they only make an 11:1 ratio? I'll have to double check my piston I still have the one I replaced and the box it came in but im 75% sure it was a 10.5:1 lol...

Anyways will I be able to run an 11:1 102mm with a stroker crank like that without worrying about octane? I run 93 only as it is anyways, is this safe? thanks again for all the help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode