2000 raptor 660 head gasket - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

2000 raptor 660 head gasket

Hi im working on a friends 660 raptor kept blowing 3 head gaskets so he gave it to me to fix i usually work on 400 and 450s. starts up fine blows white smoke. So i took it apart the cam was messed up and head no oil to cam and head gasket blown. So i found a head head yamaha check it out and resurfaced head found out oil pump was bad so replaced oil pump and check outconecting rod no damage to rod. But cylinder bad too so new fresh cylinder and piston with rings install refresh head and timing chain installed. Adjust valves and she started up ran fine. Drove it on my trails no problem went to start it up the other day. she head hard time starting on compression stroke and i noticed bubbles coming threw radiator after doing leak down test. Now idk much on raptors so i hoping it just didnt do sumthing right but i follow a yamaha book. So if anyone has a idea let me know thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 11:55 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth434 View Post
Hi im working on a friends 660 raptor kept blowing 3 head gaskets so he gave it to me to fix i usually work on 400 and 450s. starts up fine blows white smoke. So i took it apart the cam was messed up and head no oil to cam and head gasket blown. So i found a head head yamaha check it out and resurfaced head found out oil pump was bad so replaced oil pump and check outconecting rod no damage to rod. But cylinder bad too so new fresh cylinder and piston with rings install refresh head and timing chain installed. Adjust valves and she started up ran fine. Drove it on my trails no problem went to start it up the other day. she head hard time starting on compression stroke and i noticed bubbles coming threw radiator after doing leak down test. Now idk much on raptors so i hoping it just didnt do sumthing right but i follow a yamaha book. So if anyone has a idea let me know thanks
I'm more into Raptor 700's, but this may be true for the 660 too. ALWAYS use a factory head gasket. The 'Cometic' brand has a high failure rate.

On another note, the water pump seal could be leaking into the motor.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Its a factory head gasket from yamaha and i did a leak down test and air bubbles coming from radiator so it b a head gasket leak

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:29 PM

660s can be finicky with head gaskets. Some times you have to use new bolts. Studs are expensive but it allows you to use a more torque. Sometimes you need to pull the cam cover off and re torque the bolts.

I use a Cometic EST head gasket with studs in my raptor.

2003 Limited Edition Raptor
Kenz 720cc 11:1 stroker, +1 valves, Mega Cycle X-4 Cam, Sparks 6x Big Core, Keihin 35mm FCR's. 158 mains, 52 pilots, fuel screws 2 turns out.

97 Banshee
F.A.S.T. Dune Ported 4mill, CPI Inframes, Keihin PWK33's, Direct Drive Lockup. 158 mians, CEL needles second clip, #48 pilots, air scews 2.0 turns out.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:34 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth434 View Post
Its a factory head gasket from yamaha and i did a leak down test and air bubbles coming from radiator so it b a head gasket leak
Did you retorque the head bolts? Factory head bolts are usually a one time use, but most use them more than that. A stud kit may be about $100 and can be torqued about 10% more.

Verify the head and cylinder are totally flat. Even new parts can be warped. Lay the gasket on the head and the cylinder and make sure the water passages are completely covered.

Note; FYI, the 660 head and valve cover are matched and should not be interchanged.

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

I retorqued the head bolts befor they stayed in spec but i torn down to head gasket looks like the bolt that holds the cylinder broke and it was new bolts and cylinder so looks like that could b a problem and might need to mske sure the cylinder is good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in