'05 Raptor 660R Won't Start (lots of detail) - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

'05 Raptor 660R Won't Start (lots of detail)

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and would like to say thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

I purchased a 2005 Raptor 660R that had no compression at the plug, with compression checker, but was def blowing air out the exhaust. I got it home and found that the center valve was stuck open due to being bent.

I replaced all 5 valves and made sure to lap them during the replacement process. The cylinder looked ok to me so I only replaced the Piston and Rings along with the valves and all necessary top end gaskets. I checked the top ring gap at 2 inches into the cylinder before installing the cylinder and piston. Top ring gap was well within spec' at around .40 mm.

After installing, cylinder, new piston and head with new valves, I installed the timing gear and cam shaft and set the timing. When bolting the timing gear to the cam shaft, I was sure to keep the fly wheel lined up with the "l" mark on the engine case, the cam shaft lobes down with outer two holes facing up, then lined the cam gear outer punch marks with the top edge of the head and the third punch mark up. I was also sure to put the punch mark of the decompressor in the up position and the two decompressor pins in the cutouts of the actuators.

Once everything was assembled, I did a compression test. While doing the compression test, the battery went dead. I hooked jumper cables up to my TRX450S and retried compression test. I could only get to 90psi then the starter relay would just crackle. I bypassed the starter relay by placing the jumper cable positive on the output side of the starter relay (the side where the cable goes to the starter). I decompressed the cylinder by pressing the release button on my compression checker and retried the test. I could only get to 90psi and the engine would just seem to lock up. I removed the compression checker and retried turning the engine over to make sure it wasn't actually locked up. It turned over without stopping leading me to believe the starter was too weak to turn the engine over above 90psi.

Next I figured the starter was just weak so I thought I'd reinstall the plug and try pulling the bike with my TRX450S. When my friend and I tried this, the back wheels would just lock up and skid across the pavement, even in second gear.

I am at a loss guys. If I can't get the bike to turn over continuously, I can't think of any way to troubleshoot the "won't start" issue. I did check for spark and it has spark. When I remove the plug, it smells like gas so I'm pretty sure I'm getting gas. The problem is it will only turn over a couple times before locking up (or whatever is happening). NOTE: the positive jumper cable is pretty hot after attempting to jump the bike.

Pleas help!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

I have attached pics of the work I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	660R Head Before Valve Replacement.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	133437   Click image for larger version

Name:	660R Cylinder (4).jpg
Views:	22
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	133439   Click image for larger version

Name:	660R Cylinder Head Installed.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	133441  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 06:06 PM
Master of the Electron

Any chance you’re hydrolocking?

90psi is not out of the ordinary when the decomp is working, just a bit low. What is valve clearance set to?

Welcome to the forum!

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Last edited by QuadManiac; 10-03-2019 at 06:08 PM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 06:13 PM
D13

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadManiac View Post
Any chance you’re hydrolocking?

90psi is not out of the ordinary when the decomp is working, just a bit low. What is valve clearance set to?

Welcome to the forum!

At first I was like "What is this idiot talking about, Hydrolock?" Then I looked at who posted it. My next thought was "Well, hmm...." Then it hit me how that could be and I was all "AH!!!"

Ehh….
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 06:44 PM
Master of the Electron

Just drawing at straws... OP has done a pretty good job of covering most other possible causes.

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 07:49 PM
POTW Moderator

Garage
How about gapping the rings upon install?

Never mind, I re read your post and you did this task..

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion,
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:07 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Was your 450 running when you jumped the other battery? If not the low battery could draw down the good battery, as indicated by the hot jumper cable. Try jumping from a car battery with the motor running.

With the plug out, turn it over several revolutions with the starter to clear any gas in the cylinder.

When bump starting if the tires don't roll try a higher gear, and just as you engage the clutch, bounce down on the seat with your butt.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Thank you to everyone for their input. I am going to try jumping with my truck today. I will be sure to take the plug out and turn it over a few times to clear the cylinder. Maybe it's bad connections between the starter relay and the starter or just a weak starter all together.

I am not familiar with Hydrolock. I will look it up today.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

So, I am now "hydrostatic lock educated". Lol. I apologize for my ignorance. One would think it should be fairly easy to detect a hydrolocked condition. Since, in order to hydrolock, the cylinder must be filled with a volume of liquid greater than the volume of the cylinder at minimum (with piston a TDC) I should be able to rotate the crank until the piston is at TDC and stick a q-tip down the spark plug hole. If the q-tip is wet it is possibly hydrolocking, if not then unlikely. Correct?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 10:53 AM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Cranking the motor with the plug out will normally clear any hydrolock condition. No reason to feel ignorant, just keep learning as you go thru life.

Three most common reasons for a no start;
Discharged battery.
Dirty carbs.
Starter relay burned up because battery is discharged.

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode