why does my 30 amp fuse keep blowing - Page 2 - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwbarnes19940 View Post
yeh i meant antifreeze ,lol
hi what do you mean by anti freeze what will that do for my fuse problem,do you think that has something to do with that problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 05:22 PM

on the top where i axedentely spelled antifreeze with anti collant,its on the 2nd post where i messed up.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 01:13 AM
Master of the Electron

RobertW, I must ask, with all due respect, whether you even read what you have typed before you hit the post button?

Devious1, I must agree with Willy here. You have a significant short somewhere in your wiring harness or a component.

Does the fuse blow only when starting or do you start the bike and then sometime later, AFTER you shut the bike down, you can't start it again?

BTW, holding down the start button forever won't blow that fuse, unless the starter solenoid has a short... but then you most likely wouldn't be able to start the engine at all.

If you can start and run the bike, but when you shut down you can't start it again, you have an intermittent short that is blowing the fuse while you're riding due to vibration... the fuse blows, but the bike will still run from voltage from the charging system (which is after the fuse).

If, however, it blows immediately when you press the start button, the troubleshooting might be a bit easier.

A little more detail regarding the failure - when it occurs, what the exact symptoms are, etc., will help us help you find this and eliminate it for good.

Good Luck and Good Riding!

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Last edited by QuadManiac; 01-15-2009 at 01:18 AM.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

to be honest it blows sometimes straight away, and sometimes whilst riding as soon as your letting the clutch out in 1st gear it jus dies or when you come to slow down for corners it can jus die and blow the fuse, it does it with more or less anything i do, it just makes me mad that the guy i bought it from never mentioned noubt about this problem.it also does it sometimes when you cut off the engine totally, i done this yesterday for the 1st time it jus blew when i cometo astop and cut it off. just totally bamboozles me what the problem is, i tried an online manual last night and couldnt make no sense of it at all, so quadmaniac hope that helps you out to solve this problem once and for all, thanks lads for these answers as i wouldnt have a clue..
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

YAMAHA 660cc RAPTOR ON THE ROAD

6 MONTHS M.O.T AND 5 MONTHS TAX...

REALLY GOOD CONDITION FOR YEAR...

ENGINE HAS ONLY JUST HAD A MASSIVE RE-BUILD AND IS STILL BEING RUN IN,COSTING £1200 WITH ALL THE OLD BITS TO PROVE...

CONSISTING OF PISTON AND RINGS...

BRAND NEW BARREL...

ALL 5 VALVES...

CONROD...

CRANK BEARINGS...

NEW GENERATOR...

NEW OIL PUMP...

NEW WATER PUMP...

ALSO HAD NEW CLUTCH WHILE THE ENGINE WAS OUT...

NEW CAM CHAIN...

THIS IS LIKE A BRAND NEW ENGINE AND RUNS SWEET AS A NUT AND PULLS POWERFULL THROUGH EVERY GEAR...

UP RATED ECU FOR MORE POWER BRAND NEW AS THE OLD GENERATOR BURNED THE OLD ECU OUT...

NEW DUNLOP TYRES...

IT HAS ALL THE ALUMINIUM SKID PLATES UNDERNEATH...

SPOT LIGHTS BRILL FOR NIGHT TIME OFF ROADING...

ALUMINIUM NERF BARS AND FRONT AND REAR NUDGE BARS...

HANDLE BAR HAND GUARDS...

NEW HANDLE BAR GRIPS...

RECENT X CHAIN AND RENTHAL SPROKETS...

THIS IS EVERYTHING THAT HAD BEEN DONE TO MY QUAD BEFORE I BOUGHT IT, JUST PUTTING IT ON INCASE THIS HELPS ANYONE OUT WITH THE FUSE PROBLEM IM OCCURING..
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 06:38 AM
I am unique

Obviuously, it had a problem before you got it since he changed the stator and ECU, (whatever that is), should it be the CDI, it won't give it any more power, should it be the rectifier regulator, and the stator that were replaced, then maybe you are talking of the charging system having more power, you mention that you have SPOTLIGHTS BRILL, now what are these and what type of wattage do they consume, some of these lights are pwower suckers and should this be the case, I would start looking in the wiring harness for your problem, since the wiring harness may not be designed to handle this type of light. Other then this, you are going to have to start checking your bike, we can't do it from here, I also suspect that you have a aftermarket CDI because I know of no way that the bike will shutdown because of this fuse unless it has something to do with the charging circuit and ignition circuit being shorted together.

686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 08:41 AM

i agree with willy cause who knows it could be rectifier,short in the wiring harness,or just simply to much amps/volts your pullin with power suckers/lights and things.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 08:44 AM

oh yeh quadmaniac i do skim over my stuff before i post still i might make mastakes,anticoolent,is kinda the same as antifreeze and engine coolant i just messed up on my 2nd post its not a big deal if i miss spell stuff and mess a whole word up.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 09:38 AM

how about unplug the lights and see if the fuse still blows.

If that was wired without an inline fuse that would do it if there was a short. If there is an inline fuse the sucker should be a much smaller fuse than 30 amp. Are all the lights off when you blow the fuse? If you start it and then turn the lights on does that blow it? start it in a totally dark room and see if you see any sparks just before the fuse blows. I know this is a bit of a long shot but were looking for ideas to get this narrowed down.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

thanks lads i will try these ideas, i have phoned for an auto electrician to come out have a look as i havent got a clue bout the technical side of things, but you could be right with the lights because the spotlights worked at first but dont seem to anymore, and neither do the indicators, the brake light and rear work and so do the front lights i just think there is a dodgy wiring somewhere, i will let you know tomorrow the outcome of it all, i will post a thread on this subject as it obviously doesnt happen to everyones raptor 660.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode