01 660 popping and backfire - Page 2 - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 01:32 AM
Master of the Electron

Quote:
Originally Posted by willykiller View Post
Try disconnecting the voltage regulator, if this solves your problem, your stator is at fault.......
Ah... could the Phantom be at work again? I don't think so in this case, since he gets it to run (sort of) with starter fluid. BUT, I've been surprised before.

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 06:23 AM
I am unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadManiac View Post
Ah... could the Phantom be at work again? I don't think so in this case, since he gets it to run (sort of) with starter fluid. BUT, I've been surprised before.
You know something, we had an F150 Ford come in to our shop this week, the engine would not start, when you turned it over it would spin and lock up, we changed the coil pack, plug wire and sparkplugs, then the truck would try to start without lockup, I disconnected the breather and the truck would sit there and run when I sprayed ether into the intake, I then noticed that the serpentine belt had just loosened, the engine's harmonic balancer and reluctor wheel had just broke of the crank. Problem solved........

So it basically ran without spark...........

686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI

Last edited by willykiller; 05-07-2009 at 06:35 AM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

i really want to thank yall again. but i disconnected the parking brake wire and grounded the reverse wire and still nothing. not even with starter fluied. im i gunna have to take apart the top end?

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 04:58 PM
I am unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by d raptor View Post
i really want to thank yall again. but i disconnected the parking brake wire and grounded the reverse wire and still nothing. not even with starter fluied. im i gunna have to take apart the top end?

I just read your first post again, you said it stalled, try turning the piston to the top, remove the sparkplug, and put a long skinny screwdriver into the sparkplug hole, turn the engine over by hand until you determine that the piston is at the top, you may have to rock the crank back and forth a bit to determine this, then check to see if the timing mark on the flywheel is still lined up with the mark on the flywheel cover. If not your key is sheared between the crank and flywheel, this will make it hard to start........
DEZPERADO likes this.

686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

yall i got it runnin.runs like never before!!! turns out that it was shorting out at the c d i box.some wires had got busted from the batt bounceing around.thank every one for there help.this is the best web site ever!!!!
Oldguyami likes this.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 05:01 AM

Cool Hell Yeah!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageRaptor03 View Post
Have u bypassed the parking brake and reverse limiter To me it sounds like one of the 2

I absolutely love this forum!!! I thought I totally F'ed up something working on my 660 and all I did was connect the bypasses wrong lol. Your awesome Rampage thanks bud :-)
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 04:24 PM

Ok gonna see if anyone has a solution.I have a 02 660 kandn open lid mod a full exhaust and is jetted to mods.Ran like a rappy should even when valves where worn tight.Was out riding running on trails so not wide open or anything serious and noticed i was getting a miss around half to full thumb.Ok no biggie went home changed plug notta still doing it but backfires now and falls on its face at over qrt thumb..WTF now so I adjusted the valves to spec .127 with my feeler gauge set avg. out .100 to .150.Hmm again same start up was about the only improvement.Pulled carbs cleaned with cleaner air nozzle ran copper wire threw all the jetts ports etc.Same but progressively seems worse.Sorry if this long but tring to go threw what Ive done to saveface..Anyways like I was saying completly did the whole ringer on this thing and I have done the rev limiter delete aswell..The only thing I can think of is when I bought it had a full tank of fuel not sure what octane it was but before I went out it had maybe qtr tank so I topped it off with 91 that I run in my cannondale 440 speed that I just filled my jug with.Dont think it makes this big a perfomance effect..So before I start tearing the case off to check woodruff and flywheel teeth any suggestions..Starts right up idle is smooth runs smooth kinda at topend also but not so much..Feel like I might an internal problem.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 07:04 PM
Master of the Electron

So, you just bought this and the problem started on your first outing?

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 08:39 PM

I hace a 2004 raptor 660 I clean out the calburator And start poping I leave in Puerto Rico And a take out the airbox .
What happen with them
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 12:37 AM
Master of the Electron

You must rejet with an open airbox.

'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode