bad idle, bogging and backfiring - plz help - Page 3 - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Ok I will check tonight and report back. I know what you mean about "magic fixes" - i hate when I run into those on my sleds!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:19 PM

Hey, first time poster - long time reader!!
I have a 05 Raptor 660 and the same thing just happened to mine. It sat for about a year when I bought it. It spit and sputtered the first day riding and then was running fine for about a month. I ran it for a full day about two weeks ago, then last week I got it out of the garage and it was hard starting (at least I thought it was; it would have idled fine if I would have let it). I thought the carbs were clogged, so I cleaned them out (they looked fine). With no luck, I went and checked the parking brake sensor. I did what QuadManiac said about looking for the two pin connector just behind the front headlight. That worked!!! Great! It's rev'ing like a mad hornet now. But a few differences that I noticed. My parking brake sensor (at least I think that was what it was), was just above the idle screw around a set of other connectors. This was the only two pin connector there (I believe). I unplugged it. With the key on and in neutral. The neutral light went off and the reverse light came on (freaky). Also the wires were a different color that what was stated before. I'm so glad raptor riders are posting their problems so that other riders can read. I don't really have $30/hr to spend on a mechanic. Needless to say I adjusted my parking brake and it's working with the connector cliped back in. I never knew raptors had this kind of feature. Oh and just for curiosity sake, I put on my parking brake expecting the rev limiter to kick in, but it didn't. I guess the parking brake sendor is finicky. With threads like this and a Yamaha Raptor manual I found (http://rapidshare.com/files/28131329/raptor.zip) I luckily got this fixed!!
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Banned

Sometimes it doesn't take much moisture to cause a problem, water gets into ice pack connectors "sealed connectors" then can't exit without being unplugged or dries. I've seen on trucks before after a fresh rain a misfire and crappy performance, I just pulled the distributor off and wiped it out and walla problem gone, I even pulled it off and then just placed it back down and that works to. Sometimes the water is already evaporated but is vapor locked into a plug and or cap and can't exit. Hence distruibitors have vents now, and some don't. Thats why if you crack it open and close it, it will usually work. I seen some pretty crazy stuff, water causing coils to go bad and fail. I think your pb connection could of had a little water in there tripping it intermitently. Then you plugged it back in and it ran fine because it dried up. Now I have seen on carbs that dirt gets in the needle and causes a problem, and sticks the float causing it to flood, and sometimes if you don't have tools by tapping the side of the carb with a bigger stick will cause the dirt to settle and let you finish your ride or get back to your trailer. It worked for me before.
peace
craig

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Master of the Electron

jk, you unplugged a different system... what colors WERE the wires on the connector you unplugged. I'll tell you what they're for.

05's don't have a parking brake switch, which is why you couldn't find the white connector with green/yellow and black wires.

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 07:07 PM

Thanks QuadManiac for the fast response! I just got home and checked. My wires are green/white and the other is blue (light). Now you have me curious as ever, but I'm expecting some sort of rev limiter.

2005 Yamaha Raptor 660r Special Edition (Camo)
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Master of the Electron

they are the reverse switch wire and the neutral switch wire.

Just unplugging the reverse switch wire should cause the reverse light to come on and the CDI to turn the reverse limiter on, causing spitting and sputtering just above idle. If you ground the green/white wire it will disable the limiter permanantly.

Unplugging the neutral switch wire will disable the neutral light, and make it unable to start your quad without pulling in the clutch.

Do these properly describe any symptoms you are seeing now?

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 10:01 PM

You've described it perfectly.
One thing I noticed. When I had the initial rev problem, it was reving much much lower (just above idle) before spitting and sputtering and bogging down. Now that I know that the green/white wire is the reverse rev limiter (it was unplugged just now during my last test), it's reving much higher than the first rev problem (almost a midrange limiter). Maybe it was a slightly clogged carb to begin with. I did notice two or three pieces of trash around my work area when tearing down the carb (might have been tiny grass blades). They didn't seem significant enough to worry about. The rest of the carb didn't have any buildup on it.

Maybe this carb tricked me and didn't work when I initially installed the cleaned carb, but decided to work when I unplugged the neutral/reverse switch connector (soon there after). At least it gave me a higher rev right? Anyway, the important part is that it's fixed and working now. Thanks again for keeping these forums together. It sure gave me some hope that I could get it fixed.

Are there any other rev limiters on the 2005 Raptor 660 besides the reverse limiter?

2005 Yamaha Raptor 660r Special Edition (Camo)

Last edited by jk_ham; 08-10-2009 at 11:41 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode