02 660 Engine death/rebuild? pics... - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

02 660 Engine death/rebuild? pics...

Well, this tear down didn't exactly go as I planned...first a little background...

I bought a cheap Raptor from a friend needing money (Strike 1). Wouldn't start when I bought it and it generally looked kinda ratty (Strike 2). Carb rebuilds, new battery and L&A One-way. Start the bastard and poof! Blue Smoke (Strike 3)

Whatever. I'll rag the hell out of it (success), swap the piston/rings out, and tada! No more smoke!

Wrong.

First, the piston, rings, and cylinder are in great shape. No evidence of blow by from what I can tell, the bore is smooth as a babies ass, and the piston skirt is also in great shape.

FML.

Now, my concerns are the cylinder head and crank shaft. The crank looks like it got super hot (no oil, it burned it all off...) and probably killed the bearings. The crank does still spin by hand smoothly and freely. The cylinder head, however, pretty much looks like crap. The left exhaust valve is super cruddy, and the cam shaft bore has been chewed up and pulverized a bit.

FML. x2

On with the pictures...

Piston. Lots of carbon/oil crap on top. My first guess is valve stem seals.

Note the exhaust valve closest to the camera. Super nasty.

Chewed up cam journal...

Same journal, but showing the "lip" made...The camshaft somehow made it out of all of this ok.

Overheated, under lubricated crank...

Now...what are my best options? I don't want a 123234323342cc Raptor. This is a toy. Something to cruise with the lady friend. Relax compared to the dirtbike. The only thing I plan to "upgrade" at this point is the piston. Other than that, stock is best... Should I replace the crank? keep it oiled and wait for it to explode later? What do OEM cranks go for? I need a new cylinder. That's a non-negotiable. Prices?

Give me your thoughts, comments, suggestions on getting out of this without breaking the bank! Thanks!

2006 CRF250R / 2002 Raptor 660 / 2005 Blaster 200

Last edited by CRF Esteban; 03-11-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 10:34 PM
I am unique

Nothing wrong with the crank, rod or piston, but your cylinder head looks like it has seen better days...............

686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willykiller View Post
Nothing wrong with the crank, rod or piston, but your cylinder head looks like it has seen better days...............
Promising...any reason why these heads are so damn expensive? sheesh...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 11:03 PM
I am unique

You have got to find out why the cam bearings burnt up in the first place, you don't want to replace and reburn the head, where are you located...........

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Northwest Florida. Cam bearings? umm....didn't see any bearings. Do you mean the journals? I'm pretty sure the head was damaged because of the lack of oil. My real concern is why did the thing start burning oil when the piston and rings are in such good shape.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 11:10 PM
I am unique

Sorry, that is what I meant, cam journals, they are built into the head, which are the bearings................

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 11:34 PM

If the rings are inded fine. then valve seals or a bad head gasket are the only things that could cause the loss of oil besides an oil leak. Pull the oil pump out and see what it looks like and also the screen in the oil tank. see if the screen is full of cramp and if the pumps gears are grooved/pitted.

The clutch cover hasnt been off recently before all of this right. If they forgot to seal up the ports in the cover that could cause your oil pressure issue, but not oil level.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 12:53 AM

You might try contacting some of the builders. I think some of them can do light repair to the cam bearings / journals.
http://www.kenzcycletech.com/Services.htm
http://www.barkersexhaust.com/
josh

2003 Limited Edition Raptor
Kenz 720cc 11:1 stroker, +1 valves, Mega Cycle X-4 Cam, Sparks 6x Big Core, Keihin 35mm FCR's. 158 mains, 52 pilots, fuel screws 2 turns out.

97 Banshee
F.A.S.T. Dune Ported 4mill, CPI Inframes, Keihin PWK33's, Direct Drive Lockup. 158 mians, CEL needles second clip, #48 pilots, air scews 2.0 turns out.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 07:43 PM

the rod angle on a stock raptor is not good at all. Most production automobiles are in the 1.7 range but our stock rappy motors are much less than that. A "severe" rod angle coupled with high rpms doesn't tend to help ring longevity. From what I see in the pics those rings are not in good condition, doesn't matter because you are going to replace them anyway. The head can be repaired but it would prolly cost more than a decent used one to repair it. If you just get yourself an 11:1 101mm Wiseco piston, a fresh bore for it and some new valve stem seals you'll be fine to get back on the trails. I would recommend you check the oil screen on the bottom oil tank line to see if it is clogged and inspect the oil pump, which you can remove from the clutch side after you take the clutch basket off. Heads don't usually get chewed up like that with adequate oil pressure.
The blueing of the crank journals is normal.
BTW, I grew up in a little town on Hwy 79.

Last edited by CoalShedRacing; 02-03-2010 at 07:47 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Lifetime VIP

+1....If you send the head out for work, have a valve job done and have them check the valve guides and seals for ware. Looks like the head was run with no oil or contaminated oil.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode