$50 to your paypal account if you can diagnose my problem.... - Page 11 - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 05:16 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by THROTTLEJUNKIE View Post
I'm back. I actually got it running.......sort of. After all that messing with it, I went and got a new spark plug, and low and behold, she fired right up. I went back and read this whole thread, and I think Hemi43 is the "winner". Now to pick your brains about the new issues. I guess while turning this thing over for so much, I wore out the starter one way bearing. So I replaced it with a new gear from LA Designs. It helped. Now, when I hit the starter button, most of the time it just grunts to turn over slightly, and the starter relay starts clicking. I have tried a fresh battery and still does it. I can pull the spark plug and everything turns over nicely. So that leads me to believe that it is not the one way bearing or anything in there. I can put the spark plug back in, and sometimes it will start right up. Once started and riding, it will usually start and restart for a while. If I hit the starter button repeatedly, sometimes it "backfires" through the intake and then starts up. It's extremely annoying and hard to figure out.

Is there a decompression mechanism or something that relieves compression on startup. Can this go bad and if so, how do I test for it. Where is it? I practially gave up on this thing for a month and just started messing with it again. I appreciate everyone's help on this again, and apologize for being such a p.i.t.a. Any suggestions?
Check the voltage at the battery cable on the battery. Then check the voltage at the battery cable at the Relay. Then check the voltage at the starter cable at the Relay with the key on and the starter button pushed. Then check the voltage at the starter cable on the starter with the key on and the starter button pushed.

2004 660/700 Hybrid Knobbie Class Drags
2007 YFZ Woods Bike, Trail Class Drags and ATV Rodeo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:06 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to raptor_jay
Well my bike did this a while back right before I fried the actual start button. I would hit the button but it would just click, so I jumped the 2 wires in the ignition switch and it worked. But just my experience im throwing out there.

03 660R Limited Edition
EBC Clutch(being replaced with a GYT-R)
Moose Handle Bars
Vapor Trail Tech Computer
Black ITP Rims
HMF Exhaust and proflow<---Thanks Maxwedge!!
post #103 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:37 PM
Lifetime VIP

Garage
Mine just clicked and it ended up being the solenoid. Did it a couple times before it quit working all together. Try using a good battery and jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver. Also check all of your connections for corrosion. I melted a terminal off my battery (cheap one that came in it) last week because there was corrosion between the connections.

2007 700-
11:1 Wiseco piston, +5 HR crank, Lucky700R ported head, HDD5050 cam, +3TB, DMC Force IV duals, MSD Blaster FI controller, UNI pod filters, ITP Beadlock rims + more

2001 Raptor-
100.5mm 11:1 Wiseco piston, balanced crank, trail ported head, Ferrea valves, stage 2 HC, Barker duals, UNI pod filters + more

2007 pitbike-
150cc Lifan engine, 26mm Mikuni carb, 32mm custom stainless steel exhaust, 12" motard tires, working on LED

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode