Starts and idles good but then backfires and sputters when given throttle - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Starts and idles good but then backfires and sputters when given throttle

My 01 660 was running fine. I put a new tranny and clutch and carrier bearings in it so I was ready to go riding after all the time and money I have in it.

It starts and idles like it is brand new. You can start to rev it up and o ce it hits a certain RPM it hangs there and backfires/sputters/pops/bangs/throws fire out the pipe.

I pulled the plug and it was BLACK.

Thing is,that the carb was jetted for the pipe and air filter I have and ran fine before...the plug looked perfect and it ran great.

I checked and the problem is not one of the rev limiters. I tore the carbs down and they were spotless and everything was set as it should be for my elevation and mods as far as jetting specs.

I've TRIED EVERYTHING AND THINK IT JUMPED TIMING...Does anyone think it is possible that it jumped time and would cause it to run like it does.

Double M Steel,

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/p...4080972?ref=ts

Located in Southwestern Pennsylvania.We make bumpers for ATV's and UTV's and we do welding repairs /custom fabricating / machine shop/ just about anything to do with steel working/ if you have any ideas for something custom we can work with you to try to build build it.
Check out the link for for contact information or send me a PM and I'll get back as soon as I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 04:47 PM

If it jumped timing it'd likely be hard to start and run rough at idle.

Have you looked at the inspection points and checked timing?

Mike

Photobucket is trash now, use something else.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Master of the Electron

Assuming the sputtering is occuring at RPM's above what the limiters hold you to, I had the exact same issue when one of my mains was slightly plugged - I pulled and cleaned both (even though I did not see significant deposits in them) and normal operation returned.

1) are you certain the limiters are not causing this? (i.e., the RPM where it occurs is way, way above idle would say they're not.)
2) is it throttle related, not RPM - i.e. 3/4 to WOT only? If throttle, most likely carbs.
3) Bottom line - something has changed... any changes you have made recently, or anything you've overlooked telling us?

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

I checked all the rev limiters. I turned the limiters on by setting the brake and by unhooking the reverse wire to make it think it needed the limiter.Those kick in at a lower RPM...so I unhooked them and went from there.

I took out the carbs and cleaned them...they weren't even dirty but I took them apart just to make sure NOTHING was clogged.

I have a full exhaust and the mod for no airbox lid...Icarbs set 146 main left,148 main right,clip on the needle is set 3rd from bottom or 4th from top on both carbs.

It ran fine before,then one day while I was riding it just decelerated and started backfiring and sputtering,I was able to get it home by keeping it low RPM's.

And It occurs at certain RPM's and not throttle position.It starts to rev,hits a certain RPM and stops.I can put it 1/4 throttle,1/2 throttle,full throttle and it does the dame thing.

Double M Steel,

Located in Southwestern Pennsylvania.We make bumpers for ATV's and UTV's and we do welding repairs /custom fabricating / machine shop/ just about anything to do with steel working/ if you have any ideas for something custom we can work with you to try to build build it.
Check out the link for for contact information or send me a PM and I'll get back as soon as I can.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

And QM...the only thing I have changed recently was that I put a new clutch in...I don't see how that would affect this...not even like I really tore into,it was just pates and springs.

Double M Steel,

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Master of the Electron

Thanks for all the detail, it makes helping so much easier.

So, did you clean the carbs before or after this occurred, your timeline is not obvious.

Did you test the two limiters (reverse and PB) separately or together? They actually limit at different RPM's, reverse being somewhat higher - so doing both at the same time will give you the lower of the two only... try unplugging the reverse wire only, if you haven't already, and see if THIS is the same RPM you are having problems at.

Does your reverse light work normally? If so, any chance that the light is flickering slightly when this happens? Vibration induced by certain RPM's can cause the reverse switch spring connection to break contact briefly, turning the limiter on intermittently - try grounding the wire and see if the problem goes away. (I'd guess, from info so far, that this is the most likely culprit)...

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

I cleaned the carb after the problem started.

And yes,I tested the limiters separately.My reverse light works normally,and I tried grounding it out and there was no difference.

When I unhooked the cable for the reverse limiter,my light came on...then I grounded it to the frame and the light shut off.

Double M Steel,

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 06:18 PM
I am unique

In your opinion, what is the RPM when the problems starts..........

686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Thats a hard one... what do these beasts redline at? I'll go from there.

Double M Steel,

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 06:21 PM
I am unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine350 View Post
Thats a hard one... what do these beasts redline at? I'll go from there.
Redline stock is about 8500 RPM..........

686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode