raptor wont start after wash. - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

raptor wont start after wash.

hey guys, I'm new to the atv world & I got my first atv it's a 04 660 raptor. and the other day I washed it and now it won't start. the battery is dead from cranking it over. & my question is, what did/could I have gotten wet?
I've been searching this forum and thinking it could be water in the spark plug, water in airbox, water in exhaust, or the carb needs cleaned.
my question is, where is all this stuff located & how do i drain it? sorry to sound like a noob but I don't know a thing about these things. I don't have a truck so i can't take it to the shop at the moment.

I got it to start about 4 times (by jumping it) but it will just idle for about a min then cut off, then i got to jump it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 06:42 AM
I am unique

I guess if you can jump start it, then it must start, so obviously the problem is the battery not being of sufficent charge...........
Keep it running as long as you can to get everything good and warm to dry out everything and drive it around. Put the battery on charge for several hours also........

686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Master of the Electron

I'm going to guess, in addition to what Willy has said, that you have some water in the spark plug boot and/or spark plug bore. After starting this water heats up and starts to evaporate, but condenses on the inside of the boot, shorting spark to case. Unplug and dry the boot and then the bore thorougly (a hair blow-dryer applied to the areas for several minutes can help) and keep trying.

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Lifetime VIP

can you get it to rev up after you jump it? I allways recomend a battery tender for the bikes with a battery since it will extend the life of the battery and you know when you go to use it, it's gonna be charged and ready to go. What ever is on the bike is ment to get wet but sometimes you get water in some place where it will short it out. Check all the conections you can find and make sure the wires look clean and not corroded.

2006 YZ450 50th Anniversary. Woods machine and street legal.
2007 Raptor 700r April 2013 Raptor of the month Traded
2001 Wolverine 350
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got a new spark plug for it, but still no luck.
When i jump it, it takes awhile befor i can actually get it to start. then it idle's for about 30-45 secs then dies. then when i try to start it again it wont start. then after about 20 mins of trying to get it to fire up, I finally get it to but then it cuts off again. when i try to rev it, it back fires and trys to cut off.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 11:51 PM
I am unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteraptor04 View Post
Well, I got a new spark plug for it, but still no luck.
When i jump it, it takes awhile befor i can actually get it to start. then it idle's for about 30-45 secs then dies. then when i try to start it again it wont start. then after about 20 mins of trying to get it to fire up, I finally get it to but then it cuts off again. when i try to rev it, it back fires and trys to cut off.
Check the parkbrake sensor wire near the area of the left headlight, it should have green and yellow wire and black wire, if these wires make contact or the green and yellow wire makes a contact to ground even with water, you can have the parkbrake rev limiter come on and it will do as you are describing.........
Or you can cut the green and yellow wire at the CDI.............

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willykiller View Post
Check the parkbrake sensor wire near the area of the left headlight, it should have green and yellow wire and black wire, if these wires make contact or the green and yellow wire makes a contact to ground even with water, you can have the parkbrake rev limiter come on and it will do as you are describing.........
Or you can cut the green and yellow wire at the CDI.............
I'm not sure if i'm looking at the right wires, but i see a yellow wire and a black one taped together. but i didn't see a green one. is this the wires your talking about?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 06:14 AM
I am unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteraptor04 View Post
I'm not sure if i'm looking at the right wires, but i see a yellow wire and a black one taped together. but i didn't see a green one. is this the wires your talking about?
A green and yellow wire and a black wire, the green and yellow wire should have a yellow stripe or tracer on it..............

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 06:43 AM
Lifetime VIP

could it have some thing to do with the carbs not getting gas fast enought? If it starts for a minute then shuts down and wont start for another few minutes then maybe hes not getting the gas flow he needs.

2006 YZ450 50th Anniversary. Woods machine and street legal.
2007 Raptor 700r April 2013 Raptor of the month Traded
2001 Wolverine 350
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 10:41 PM

i think you have water inside of your spark plug hole I have the same problem when washing mine. if you pull your boot out and its wet blow it off try it again should start right up and rev it up to dry that water out of it

01 raptor 660
mods:+6 g force axle
mod quad k&n kit
150 left 155 right jets
hmf performance series pipe
renthal fat bars
dg alloy nerfs
aftmkt aluminum oil cooler
ht moto seat
blingstar iron cross bumper
xtreme one way
12t renthal 41t sprox blue
itp ss wheels with razr tires
elka suspension
full skid plates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode