Raptor 660 Sled puller - Page 2 - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Parker, There have been more and more of them in Southern Illinois. I put on a pull as part of our town festival. There are two as part of a local dealership's sales event. There are about 12 additional pulls as part of county fairs, local festivals and the like in South Central and Southern Illinois. The ones I have been attending are south of Springfield, IL and east of St. Louis, Mo. The ones I have found are usually conducted in conjunction with modified garden tractors. Some are well attended with 30 to 40 ATVs, others with just a few. I can't say the sport is on fire, but it seems to be gaining interest. Rules vary from location to location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 07:33 PM
I am unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by 002 View Post
What size bank do I need to rob to make 70 HP.
Here is your 70 hp..........
Here is a dyno sheet of a 686, three plugger with trail porting....................
This is my 660 HV ported, three plugger.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (24).JPG
Views:	267
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	53404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	53405  

686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI

Last edited by willykiller; 07-19-2012 at 07:46 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 07:37 AM
I am unique

Quote:
THANKS WILLY, YOU PUT ME LIGHT YEARS AHEAD.

As for as what I did, most of it was staring, thinking and talking with other folks. Playing off experiances of others, watching a lot of full size truck and tractors pull, watching the utility ATV's pull and just general physics. As far as the bike goes the mods have been very, very limited. Stock motor with slip on, jets and no air box lid. Factory orginal 2001 Stock clutch. However, the hitch and gear ratio are another story. Hitch is all bolt on no holes drilled, stock swing arm, adjustable up and down, in and out. Running 1100 lbs with me on the bike. It seems to like that weight, at 1200 it doesn't want to open up.
Watching that video, really got me wanting to get back into that sport, but unfortunately there arent any pulls for atvs around here anymore.

When I first started there were about 4 per year that I competed in, and I really had to be careful that I didnt over do it, I remember at one pull where the only thing that stopped my bike was the sleds brakes after I had gone by the fiinsh line about 50 feet.

This pull was put on by a local ATV dealer in the pulls location. I drove over an hour and a half to get there and I had taken my sons bike also, I had never pulled with his bike so getting a launch with it was difficult but I did get it to launch on the second try. After I stalled it on the first try I could hear in the back ground a lot of the competitors cat calling me to just go home, even the flag man was asking me if I could even move the sled, all I said is dont worry, I'll move it.

The farthest pull that day was about 200 feet on a 250 foot track, when I launched the bike and started pulling, I was amazed at how fast my sons bike got going and I took it full track until the sleds brakes came on. 300 feet and nothing was stopping me other then the sleds brakes.........

So I clearly won the class but was disqualified because the front wheels of my bike had left the ground, even though some of the 4wd drives also had done the same.

As a result of this, I was told I could not participate because I couldnt gurantee that the front wheels would remain on the ground, and because of this all of my friends that had gone down to participate also pulled there bikes from the competition. So the ATV pull lost a third of there bikes with one according to me irrate dealer trying to stop me from particapating...........

The picture I displayed in an earlier post is of my bike competing in the last pull I ever competed in. I had 7 pulls that day of which I had 5 full pulls, the full pulls I had even though I stopped past the finish line were not even slowing my bike down, the combo I had was near perfect and tooks about 4 years of pulling to perfect. The bike with me on it weighed around 1150 pounds with 75% of the weight at the rear of the bike, the hitch was built into the rear suspension linkage, I had to keep the bike stock appearing and functional, the gearing was a whopping 7 to 1 with homemade gears. I also used techniques from other pullers to setup my bike, I went with lots of wheel spin and I would rarely ever hook up, My goal was to keep the engine rpm up in the torque peak and used tires that were practically cut and worn down until I barely had 3/8 of inch tread bars, they were sharpened also, but since we werent allowed to use cut tires we would install the tires backwards and then spin them on concrete until they smoked to wear out the cutting marks,............

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Well so far I have not been able to embarrass the 4WD bikes. I competing with them in 4WD but not beating the sox off them. A 4WD using only 2WD doesn't stand a chance. I am hoping that as long as I don't embarrass them I won't get disqualified for something petty.

Mid Aug I will be going to a pull with a different governing body, further North. I have to fabricate a few new parts on the hitch. Hook point can not be any further back then 6 inches behind the center of the rear axle. I've found a little more helps with weight transfer. They are dividing onto Stock and Modified. Stock rules require stock gearing. I am going to try stock 22 inch tires and off the shelf 50 tooth sprocket and try the stock class. Then come back in the Modified with my 27 inch tires and my not off the shelf gearing. At least thatís my plan. The 12/50 gearing just doesn't allow enough RPM, and the Raptor falls short on HP. But I'll give it a try.

Willy, I have to say that it has been even more fun then I thought it would be. In additional I am very happy with the durability of the Raptor. I had to replace the "One Way" but that had nothing to do with Pulling. I am beginning to worry about the clutch. It seems it is starting to grab a little more when started in gear, but no sign if slippage. Maybe I just expect clutch problems so much, I'm imagining it. IT always grabbed some.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Willy, Forgot to add...... Do I just sent the whole bike to you for that 70HP or do I have to take the motor out.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 03:10 PM
I am unique

Quote:
Well so far I have not been able to embarrass the 4WD bikes. I competing with them in 4WD but not beating the sox off them. A 4WD using only 2WD doesn't stand a chance. I am hoping that as long as I don't embarrass them I won't get disqualified for something petty.

Mid Aug I will be going to a pull with a different governing body, further North. I have to fabricate a few new parts on the hitch. Hook point can not be any further back then 6 inches behind the center of the rear axle. I've found a little more helps with weight transfer. They are dividing onto Stock and Modified. Stock rules require stock gearing. I am going to try stock 22 inch tires and off the shelf 50 tooth sprocket and try the stock class. Then come back in the Modified with my 27 inch tires and my not off the shelf gearing. At least thatís my plan. The 12/50 gearing just doesn't allow enough RPM, and the Raptor falls short on HP. But I'll give it a try.

Willy, I have to say that it has been even more fun then I thought it would be. In additional I am very happy with the durability of the Raptor. I had to replace the "One Way" but that had nothing to do with Pulling. I am beginning to worry about the clutch. It seems it is starting to grab a little more when started in gear, but no sign if slippage. Maybe I just expect clutch problems so much, I'm imagining it. IT always grabbed some.
With the clutch I found that it is better that the clutch is hot, I could slip hot clutches a lot without burning them up but a cold clutch burnt immediately when slipped for a few seconds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode