Gearing, speed, and the like - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Gearing, speed, and the like

Gearing and speed are always common topics on any orv powersport board. In an effort to answer some broad questions I offer this post.

Stock Top Speed:

There are a lot of answers out there, but most are in the range of 68-77 on a flat patch of good ground. FME it's in the low 70's. Anyone claiming 80+ is either modified, going down a huge hill with a tail wind, or blowing smoke. Anything lower than 65 either has modifications (shorter gearing/smaller tires) or there's something wrong with it.

For most of us 70 is more than fast enough. At those speeds and higher the tires, twitchy handling and wind resistance start making things significantly less safe. If you're one of these people it's a good idea to shorten up the gearing to accellerate faster.

If you have a reason to go faster or a need to lower the rpms in top gear for a cruising speed then it's time to look into taller gearing.

Sprocket Sizes:

The 660 accepts front sprockets of 12-15 teeth with the oem shroud, 16 tooth will work without it. The rear sprockets can be sized from 39 teeth on up, with your ground clearance most likely being the limiting factor. Anything smaller than 39 and the chain will start to ride on the sprocket hub mounts instead of the sprocket.

For an idea on what sprockets do to top speed on a stock bike, I offer these calculators. In stock trim the 660 revs somewhere in the 7k-8k rpm range, but more on that in a minute.

Sprocket/Top Speed Calcuators
http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/raptor02.htm
http://www.jandjcreativedesign.com/sprocket.php (Thanks to SandSquid for all his work on this one)

Higher Revs:
This is all keeping in mind that your bike is stock, meaning that it can only rev so high and only has enough hp to pull a certain gearing. But when you can rev higher the bike will go faster.

You'll notice in pipe comparison dynos that most aftermarket pipes not only increase the hp but also increase the peak rpm. Many of the modifications that you add to your machine will have a similar effect, including when you free up air intake. This also means that your top speed will increase, assuming as we will that you're not limited by wind resistance. So if you were able to go 70mph stock adding more hp might make that same bike go 75mph now. The more hp and higher revs you can get out of the bike, the faster the bike will go on that gearing.

But this also has an impact on gearing. If you only need to go as fast as you did stock and you modified the bike to reach higher rpms and therefore a higher top speed then you can change your gearing to keep that stock speed and get there faster at the same time.

The following numbers are for explanation purposes only. For instance, say your bike does 75 stock. You do some mods, now your bike goes 80. We all know that lower gearing (higher ratios) means less top speed, but we also know that it means increased accelleration. If you go from 13/40 down to 12/40 on your modified bike you'll have the benefit of greater accelleration and because your bike can rev higher than it did stock you can maintain the 75mph top end at the same time.

My 660 is a good example for me. Stock it did somewhere in the low 70's. I've made some modifications and now running 12/42 gearing and 20" tires my bike has the ability to rev high enough to exceed 78mph. My top speed hasn't gone up all that much, but with the shorter gearing I'm able to reach the original top speed significantly faster that I did when it was stock. And honestly it's still a little too fast on top so the 44 tooth is ready to go on for next year.

I've explained, at least in part, this topic as best as I understand it. If there are any discrepancies or questions please let me know. Hopefully it's able to clear some things up.
dabombcra likes this.

Mike

Photobucket is trash now, use something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 08:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to ironraptor04
Re: Gearing, speed, and the like

great write up maddog thanks should stick this btw

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
04 Raptor 720 Stroker
Stroker Cam
mild self polish
FCR 39's
Barker Dual Exhaust
RPM Dominator II
K&N Pro-Flow
GYTR Clutch w/ HD Spring Set
stock gearing
Holeshot HD Tires
Trailtech Vapor and dashboard
~~~~~~~
post #3 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 11:22 PM

gOOD THREAD

post #4 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 11:27 PM

good thread man

I've also noticed that stock I ran around 72-73 mph, but after putting a 12 tooth and a pipe/jetting I'm actually faster than stock by a few mph..I actually gained 2mph at the dragstrip with a pipe and 12 tooth.

02 Raptor with CBR600F4 swap
post #5 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 01:14 PM

Awesome write-up Mike.

-Eric<br /><br />2006 Yamaha Raptor 700 - Big gun evo exhaust , Prodesign filter, Dobeck Controller , Trail Tech Vapor , YFZ450 Tires , Pro Tapers , Powermadd Handguards, 15t, YFZ450 shocks, Maiers grill and tank piece, Full skids, AC rear grab bar &amp; Nerfs, PIAA&#039;s&nbsp;ect...<br /><br />Also have a Raptor 660 and a 400EX
post #6 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 09:46 PM

So given a stock 660, anyone know if it actually reaches max rpm in top gear or if load/resistance is the limiting factor. I guess weight is a big factor, so assume a 180lb person.

'05 YFZ450 - Not for sale!
'05 Raptor 660 - Sold
'01 Raptor 660 - Sold
post #7 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobeer net
So given a stock 660, anyone know if it actually reaches max rpm in top gear or if load/resistance is the limiting factor. I guess weight is a big factor, so assume a 180lb person.
Re-read the initial post, somewhere in the 7k-8k rpm range. Limiting factors include hp, airflow, and cam profile. Wind resistance plays a part as does weight but they aren't going to make dramatic differences for top speed on a stock bike.

Thanks guys, hope the post helps some people out.

Mike

post #8 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 08:13 PM

i weigh 230, when mine was stock i could hit the limiter in fifth.

can the raptor motor handle going 1000rpm over stock without handgrenading? I still run the stock cdi and still like the fact that my motor is reliable.
post #9 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danos660r
i weigh 230, when mine was stock i could hit the limiter in fifth.

can the raptor motor handle going 1000rpm over stock without handgrenading? I still run the stock cdi and still like the fact that my motor is reliable.
What kind of conditions were you in when you hit the limiter and what was the gearing setup? I ask because it's extremely unusual on a stock bike because of the mechanical and physical restrictions to hit it in lower gears, let alone top gear.

Can it handle it, yes but it won't last nearly as long as it should and I'd start looking for an oem rod through the cases. The long and short of it is if you're hitting the limiter you need to shift faster not raise the limiter. The engine is well past peak hp output if you've reached 9k rpm and adding the ability to rev higher can actually slow you down if you spend too much time in each gear.

Mike

post #10 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 12:23 AM

This may sound like a dumb question, but as you increase the torque output of the motor, won't you actually accellerate faster with taller gearing? What I guess I'm really asking is does traction become a limiter with the shorter gears - more wheelspin and less forward movement? I have been wondering this exact thing a lot lately, as I have now had my @$$ handed to me by two different DS650's, one bone stock and the other piped but not jetted/filtered. I run 12/41 gearing and have been beat on both my 20" paddles and my 22" dirt tires. Any input?

'06 Raptor 700R SE - PCIII, FCI intake, Monster duals, Dynatek ignition, Kenny's +2 TB and evac valve, HotCam 3, 11:1 brick and Bo's track porting, Precision Stabilizer, i5500LT and ishock revalved rear, RPM Dominator 2 axle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode