Sand Paddles - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By 03LimitedEditionRaptor
  • 1 Post By DEZPERADO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Sand Paddles

Hey guys and girls. Ok so I just picked up an 04 Raptor 660. The thing is bone stock and Im looking to get some sand paddles for this thing. I ride big dunes in Dumont California but im usually on my buddies quad. Ive never had to buy my own paddles so Im completely clueless on the wheel/tire size to buy for my quad. Any help on this would help me out a lot. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 01:14 AM

What kind of riding?

Just playing around ITP Sand Stars are hard to beat. They turn / slide better than straight blade paddles but they don't have as good of straight line traction as Skat Trak Haulers or Extreme.

Slat Track Haulers are a better drag racing tire. I run 20x10x10 9 paddle extreme s on my raptor. I'd probably do 8 or less paddles on regular Haulers if you want to go the straight paddle route. If you over paddle your raptor it will make it doggy in the sand. You want some wheel speed / slip.
Hobknobbers likes this.

2003 Limited Edition Raptor
Kenz 720cc 11:1 stroker, +1 valves, Mega Cycle X-4 Cam, Sparks 6x Big Core, Keihin 35mm FCR's. 158 mains, 52 pilots, fuel screws 2 turns out.

97 Banshee
F.A.S.T. Dune Ported 4mill, CPI Inframes, Keihin PWK33's, Direct Drive Lockup. 158 mians, CEL needles second clip, #48 pilots, air scews 2.0 turns out.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 04:06 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LimitedEditionRaptor View Post
What kind of riding?

Just playing around ITP Sand Stars are hard to beat. They turn / slide better than straight blade paddles but they don't have as good of straight line traction as Skat Trak Haulers or Extreme.

Slat Track Haulers are a better drag racing tire. I run 20x10x10 9 paddle extreme s on my raptor. I'd probably do 8 or less paddles on regular Haulers if you want to go the straight paddle route. If you over paddle your raptor it will make it doggy in the sand. You want some wheel speed / slip.

Good advice. Sand Stars are hard to beat for a stock raptor. And they are usually available on Craig's List now. Straight paddles like Skat Trak's will need power. Like the Big 3. The secret to sand, is, you need to MOVE sand. Be able to accelerate from most any gear. You might want to get a front sprocket 1 tooth smaller.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 03:58 PM

I've had sand stars, the are heavy molded tire. My sand stars lasted 8 trips to glamis and started splitting where the v joins..
I cannot recommend enough spending a little more money and buying a scat track hauler..
I have 8 paddle hauler extremes on my used to be stock 04 660 and are still in excellent shape after 7 years.
With your bike being bone stock in a puddle hauler won't be bogged down.
But if you want to little more wheelspin and not as much traction go with the six or 7 paddle tire.
Sand stars suck and I personally will never purchase them again.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 04:13 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
I've had good luck with Sand Star's. Honda 250R, Honda 310R, and 2 different Raptor 700's. No problems. My motors don't stay stock, and they took the power and abuse.

Now I have Skat's on everything, but, Sand Star would be my second choice.
Cammy likes this.

'19 Can-Am X3, RS Turbo, 172 HP, 1300x15 STU #2 paddle, Tribute front, DynaTec controller, cat delete, GTP blow off valve, custom flame wrap, Bent Metal windshield, Blazer wiper, rear window, 48in LED light bar, 14in LED light bar, GTP LED side lights, S3 shock tower brace, aluminum rear pull plate, 5K Badlands winch, dual batteries, 5ft lighted whips, Rugged radio and intercom, interior lights, rock lights, chase lights, over $200 additional switches, YES, street legal with dirt tires.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas View Post
I've had sand stars, the are heavy molded tire. My sand stars lasted 8 trips to glamis and started splitting where the v joins..
I cannot recommend enough spending a little more money and buying a scat track hauler..
I have 8 paddle hauler extremes on my used to be stock 04 660 and are still in excellent shape after 7 years.
With your bike being bone stock in a puddle hauler won't be bogged down.
But if you want to little more wheelspin and not as much traction go with the six or 7 paddle tire.
Sand stars suck and I personally will never purchase them again.

Skat Traks can have the paddle rip of since its just vulcanized on. Part of how long something lasts is how bad it gets abused, and some times you just get a bad one. ITP isn't known for making low quality tires.

I run Sand Stars on which ever machine in my sig doesn't have the Skat Trak's. My in-laws also run sand stars on a heavy Rhino 660 with out problems.

Kenz 720cc 11:1 stroker, +1 valves, Mega Cycle X-4 Cam, Sparks 6x Big Core, Keihin 35mm FCR's. 158 mains, 52 pilots, fuel screws 2 turns out.

97 Banshee
F.A.S.T. Dune Ported 4mill, CPI Inframes, Keihin PWK33's, Direct Drive Lockup. 158 mians, CEL needles second clip, #48 pilots, air scews 2.0 turns out.

Last edited by 03LimitedEditionRaptor; 02-05-2016 at 06:47 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 09:17 PM

Everyone has their opinion,but if you ever go to glamis you will notice more people run skats than any other tire..
There's a reason for that but if the budget is tight sand stars are cheaper..
Craigslist would prolly get you sand stars and a set of haulers with rims for what I paid for my extreme haulers..
I like the way haulers float on top of the sand the sand stars tend to need a lot more speed get on top..
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas View Post
Everyone has their opinion,but if you ever go to glamis you will notice more people run skats than any other tire..
There's a reason for that..
Yea, your a lot more likely to run in to dedicated dune, drag, or hill shooter machine, so it would be logical to see more straight blade paddle tires.

97 Banshee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode