How to: change the clutch basket. Pics - Page 2 - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 10:16 PM

Re: How to: change the clutch basket. Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.I.M.P.
+1 for you. Keep it up man. Hopefully this gets stickied for people to use. I did one and had pics too but never got stickied. Stuff like this with good pics should always go up where people can find them quick.
+1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 11:42 AM

Send a message via MSN to smokinp
Exclamation

Very good read..Im learning more each day around here.

01'660R
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 02:27 AM

So turns out I'm an idiot. No big suprise! Anyway I forgot to note which way the washer thing (convex shaped) goes. Looking at the marks I believe it goes with the convex side towards the gears and the concave side towards the basket. Anybody that has done this do you recall?

719cc w/11:1 wiseco, Barker +4mm Crank, X4 Cam, Kibblwhite Valves & Springs
Slingshot Lockup w/GYTR Clutch Kit
Barker Duals & 39mm FCR's
Dual K&N's W/Air Box Gone
Pro Taper Bar w/ASV Levers
Houser +2" Steering Stem
+6" Chrome Swingarm
YFZ 450 Front Shocks
YFZ 450 Front Calipers

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 06:46 PM

this is exactally what i did to install my Wiseco clutch basket. good pictures.

01 Raptor 660 - CP 686 102mm 12:1 kit, Hot rods crank, ported and polished head, stage two hot cam & springs, dirt digger clutch kit, wiseco clutch basket, 04 tranny, 04 L&A oneway bearing, 04 flywheel, FMF Power Core 4 exhaust, Jetted carbs : 155/160 Main jet, Easy adjust fuel/air set screw kit.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 11:29 AM

Send a message via MSN to NateDiggity
Any one know the length of the bolts in this picture: https://www.raptorforum.com/forums/at...3&d=1213209858

My basket didnt come with any, and its easy enough to bring the basket with me to the hardware store for size/pitch, just dont know what length to get. Also, is there a reason they are the rounded allen head? Could I use just a normal hex head if I cant find the allen heads?

Thanks

Thank You Soldiers!

RIP COOP!
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03RaptorCV View Post
So turns out I'm an idiot. No big suprise! Anyway I forgot to note which way the washer thing (convex shaped) goes. Looking at the marks I believe it goes with the convex side towards the gears and the concave side towards the basket. Anybody that has done this do you recall?
There are two washers there. A flat one on basket side then the next convex one with the way you guessed.

I drilled out rivets easily. Great pics and info.
NOTE PPL: SAVE CUSHION SPRING!!!
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDiggity View Post
Any one know the length of the bolts in this picture: https://www.raptorforum.com/forums/at...3&d=1213209858

My basket didnt come with any, and its easy enough to bring the basket with me to the hardware store for size/pitch, just dont know what length to get. Also, is there a reason they are the rounded allen head? Could I use just a normal hex head if I cant find the allen heads?

Thanks
approx 18 to 19 mm worth of threads. Use any bolt that has a low profile head.
SEE CORRECTION BELOW!

Last edited by gone...ridin; 01-21-2009 at 09:05 PM.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 07:29 PM

ok i removed my clutch basket, and had my machinist drill the 3 rivets out, all went smooth. but your explaination doesnt tell u what do with the other left over parts, behind each rivet there is like a 1/2inch spacer, does that go back on the new basket in the same exact spot, and once u take off the old basket behind it in the center there are two 3 inch metal rings do those go back on the new clutch basket, im going from a OEM basket to a Hinson, ill try and post some pics of the parts im talking abt when i get home, thanks!
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 12:10 AM

Exclamation !!!!! Warning !!!!! Warning !!!!! Read This

I bought a Yamaha Gyt-r clutch, hub, basket. I assembled it and could not get it to work at all. I proceeded to take it back apart. Then I found out that the problem was the bolts that come with the new basket (part #GYT-5LP56-10-10) were too long and were scraping badly on the inner hub. Even preventing essential movement.
THESE REPLACEMENT BOLTS MUST BE 14MM OR LESS! WHICH IS 4MM SHORTER!
Please inform whomever you have to in order to stop this from happening to someone else.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 04:58 PM

Suggetions

It seems no one covered other possible ways to hold hub while torquing the nut. I was very successful jamming a rag in between the hub and basket. You'll need to temporarily reattach the rear brake to stop the quad from rolling backwards while you tighten. Use channel locks for the locking tab.
Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode