Big Bore-Stock Cam Jetting - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Big Bore-Stock Cam Jetting

Hey Guys I am new to the forum, looking thru some of the jetting info have not found the info I am looking for yet. I am trying to find proper or close jetting for my sons raptor. Ran fine before rebuild-had to add rings so I just put in a 10.1 Big Bore 686 Kit. Starts fine and about 1/2 throttle it cuts up like a imiter, I have since went thru all of the limiters and they are good. I then pulled the carbs apart had stock 140/145 jets in them. I had some jets from a kit I bought for a 350 warrior so I stuck in the biggest 2 it had 148/150 and it is a TON better still needing fuel up top. I would assume from what I have read I need somewhere around 160-170 jets? I did move the needle to the 3rd position.
Any help would be great!
Stock Needles By the way. 3rd Position as stated above

660 Raptor -

Big Bore 686
Cobra Slip On
K&N Filter
Air Lid Removed

Last edited by us7race; 09-03-2018 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Looked thru the proven jetting sticky still no combination like mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

So I drilled out some small jets to see how close I could get it.
So first I drilled out both to dynojet 146 both needles at 3rd position. Ran pretty good seemed to have a powerband kick in in high gear after holding it there for a bit. So I decided to add jet because it was still dead clean out the exhaust. So,
Right now I have dynojet size 146 primary with needle at position 3 and the 2nd carb at 178 dynojet size and needle at 4th position. Seems pretty good zero smoking under acceleration or letting off.
I would have went ahead and drilled out the primary side to match the 2nd carb but the carb boot split.
Now have to order that.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us7race View Post
So I drilled out some small jets to see how close I could get it.
So first I drilled out both to dynojet 146 both needles at 3rd position. Ran pretty good seemed to have a powerband kick in in high gear after holding it there for a bit. So I decided to add jet because it was still dead clean out the exhaust. So,
Right now I have dynojet size 146 primary with needle at position 3 and the 2nd carb at 178 dynojet size and needle at 4th position. Seems pretty good zero smoking under acceleration or letting off.
I would have went ahead and drilled out the primary side to match the 2nd carb but the carb boot split.
Now have to order that.
What is your intake and exhaust setup?

Dynojet jets and OEM jets use a different numbering system. 178 dynojet would be WAY too big.

The 660 in my signature has a dynojet 146 in the left carb and a dynojet 148 in the right carb if that helps at all

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

07' Raptor 700- 11:1, hotcam 3, Pro design intake with K&N, +3 throttle body, Monster big bore duals, MSD with cuervo timing, JOGACA shocks, trail tech VAPOR, GYTR heel guards & bumper & nerfs, .250 aluminum skids, TM case saver, folding anodized levers and shifter, powermadd hand guards

04' raptor 660-Hot rods crank, .5mm overbore, 11:1 wiseco piston, Stage 1 hotcam, Yoshimura slip-on exhaust, K&N filter with outerwears, open lid airbox, Dynojet stage 2 jet kit

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Stock intake with no air cleaner top, and K&N Filter.
What jetting would you recommend? I assume the 146 / 148.
What about needle position with the stock needles?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 07:57 PM

Stock exhaust?

If i remember right, my needles are 1 notch richer than center. But im using the Dynojet needles. Ive heard its extremely difficult to tune one on the stock needles after the airbox is opened up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

07' Raptor 700- 11:1, hotcam 3, Pro design intake with K&N, +3 throttle body, Monster big bore duals, MSD with cuervo timing, JOGACA shocks, trail tech VAPOR, GYTR heel guards & bumper & nerfs, .250 aluminum skids, TM case saver, folding anodized levers and shifter, powermadd hand guards

04' raptor 660-Hot rods crank, .5mm overbore, 11:1 wiseco piston, Stage 1 hotcam, Yoshimura slip-on exhaust, K&N filter with outerwears, open lid airbox, Dynojet stage 2 jet kit
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Stock lead pipe with slip on cobra muffler no spark arrestor

660 Raptor -

Big Bore 686
Cobra Slip On
K&N Filter
Air Lid Removed
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 10:53 AM

With an open air box your going to need #25 pilots and a set of aftermarket needles.

Aftermarket carb needles will richen up the mixture in the 1/2 to 3/4 throttle area. If you get it to run properly in the 3/4 throttle area with out doing carb needles you usually end up with an excessively rich main jet that will cost you power at Wide Open Throttle.

A dynojet stage 2 kit is the only way to get a pair of aftermarket carb needles now days. It will come with the proper size mains as well. You really shouldn't need to jet specifically for doing a 101mm bore. You do need to jet for the slip on exhaust pipe and running no air box lid though.

You could have also been trying to jet with air leaks due to cracked intake boot. The cracks cold have e already been present and finally split open the last time you went to put the carbs back on.

2003 Limited Edition Raptor
Kenz 720cc 11:1 stroker, +1 valves, Mega Cycle X-4 Cam, Sparks 6x Big Core, Keihin 35mm FCR's. 158 mains, 52 pilots, fuel screws 2 turns out.

97 Banshee
F.A.S.T. Dune Ported 4mill, CPI Inframes, Keihin PWK33's, Direct Drive Lockup. 158 mians, CEL needles second clip, #48 pilots, air scews 2.0 turns out.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LimitedEditionRaptor View Post
With an open air box your going to need #25 pilots and a set of aftermarket needles.

Aftermarket carb needles will richen up the mixture in the 1/2 to 3/4 throttle area. If you get it to run properly in the 3/4 throttle area with out doing carb needles you usually end up with an excessively rich main jet that will cost you power at Wide Open Throttle.

A dynojet stage 2 kit is the only way to get a pair of aftermarket carb needles now days. It will come with the proper size mains as well. You really shouldn't need to jet specifically for doing a 101mm bore. You do need to jet for the slip on exhaust pipe and running no air box lid though.

You could have also been trying to jet with air leaks due to cracked intake boot. The cracks cold have e already been present and finally split open the last time you went to put the carbs back on.
New Boots ordered, Stage 2 Jet Kit ordered and the #25 Pilots ordered. Which jets do you guys think would work best for my Raptor? Aftermarket needles in the #3 position? I appreciate all of the help.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 10:34 PM
Master of the Electron

DJ 146 left, 148 right would be my 1st choice, with needles 1 notch rich of center, 25 pilots with screws about 2 1/2 to 3 turns out.

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadManiac View Post
DJ 146 left, 148 right would be my 1st choice, with needles 1 notch rich of center, 25 pilots with screws about 2 1/2 to 3 turns out.
1 notch richer than center- so the 4th position down from the top?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode