Issues after carb cleaning - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Issues after carb cleaning

01 Raptor sat virtually dormant in my shop for a couple of years. Went to start it up one day with a fresh battery and fresh gas only to find fuel dumping out the vent tubes. No big deal - ordered new needle valves and seats. Well, it sat for another several months before I got around to tearing into it to fix.

When I took apart the carbs, to no surprised there was a lot of varnish from it sitting so long. I replaced the float valves and seats, cleaned all the mains, pilot, needles, etc, etc. Bike has a Yoshi full exhaust, Pro-flow/K&N air box mods with lid ON, Dynojet needles, 145/148 mains, mixture screws approx 3 turns out from seated. It has always run perfect with this jetting. Nothing has changed. When I put it back together it fired right up but will not idle and starts backfiring/popping and stalling as it starts to warm up. It will rev but not without backfiring. What am I missing here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 12:50 AM
Master of the Electron

Parking brake switch - unplug it. White connector - 2 pin - pair of blacks one side, green/yellow and black other side, up behind headlight near radiator.

Also verify that carbs are well seated in intake mainfold boots and clamps are tight, no rips tears or leaks in boots.

Also read this: https://www.raptorforum.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=60922

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo

Last edited by QuadManiac; 05-07-2011 at 12:53 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

I wish it were that simple. Seems to run decent until it get some heat in it then it won't run without choking and backfires as the rpms come back down after blipping the throttle.

Clogged pilot circuit? I've cleaned it thoroughly, blown out with air, and cleaned the jets with wire. Any other ideas? Can't remember but is there anything supposed to be hooked up to the plastic tee fitting that connects between the air inlets on the back of the carbs?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 09:18 AM

Can't remember but is there anything supposed to be hooked up to the plastic tee fitting that connects between the air inlets on the back of the carbs?[/QUOTE]

It just connects to a open ended vent tube...That should not be your problem.

2004 Raptor 660R
Yoshi RS3 Full SS Exhaust
K&N Air Filter with Outerwears (No Lid)
Vito's Jet Kit Needle's 2nd from top
160L 165R Mikuni Main's, #25 Pilots, Screws 2L 2.5R
HC Stage 1
Dynatek DFS7-11 Ignition
DG Nerf Bars, Fat Grab Bar, GNC Type II Front Bumper
G Force Adjustable Racing Axle
Flipped Rear Link
ITP Holeshot Front Tires
Sedona Bazooka MX Rear Tires 20x11x9
Tusk E-Brake Block Off
MSR AOF Clutch Lever
Armadillo Skid & Swing Plate
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Master of the Electron

Whatever it is, it's obvious that it's a lean issue - what's surprising is it doesn't need the choke until AFTER it warms up - somewhat opposite of normal.

That tee is just a vent - should have a long hose connected that follows up and around the seat mount, open at the far end.

Any chance you got the jets re-installed in the wrong locations (mains or air jets), since some are different between left and right?

'01 660 Raptor, Burgard +2+1 arms, YFZ Shocks, LSR anti-vibe, CTR pipe, jetted, K&N
'01 Polaris Scrambler 400, K&N
'02 Honda 400ex, Big Gun pipe, jetted, K&N, Lonestar +2 A-arms, Lonestar anti-vibe
'04 Suzuki LTZ400
'16 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 09:52 PM
I am unique

Did you clean the fuel screw passages, I have seen these cause problems since they can be plugged with varnish and cause similar problems. Make sure the fuel screw tip still is intact and not broke off the end of the fuel screw and stuck in the throttle bore........

686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode