Shimmy in the front - Yamaha Raptor Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime VIP
 
Spruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 340
Shimmy in the front

went for a short ride the other night on the street and had a pretty severe shimmy up front starting at the bottom of second gear, so prob 20-25 mph Anyways, its always more severe during accel than decel. Doesn't pull to either side but shakes the hell outta the quad at high speed. Everything is tight as far as bolts and when I put it on the stand and spun the wheels by hand I didn't notice any bends in the wheels. Any suggestions where to start looking or adjusting? I can get some pics of where the setup is now if it would help.

2004 719
11:1 CP piston
WK ported head
CT Pipe/jets
Stg 2 Hotcam
Proflow foam filter and Outerwear
12/39 sidewinder titanium sprockets and smart chain
Barnett clutch, hinson basket
+4 axle, +2 LSR arms,
Jogaca Custom YFZ450 front shocks
Adjustable rear link
Renthal bars
Big F'in TEETH!

55hp, 44lb/ft
Spruce is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 11:26 PM
I am unique

 
willykiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 22,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
went for a short ride the other night on the street and had a pretty severe shimmy up front starting at the bottom of second gear, so prob 20-25 mph Anyways, its always more severe during accel than decel. Doesn't pull to either side but shakes the hell outta the quad at high speed. Everything is tight as far as bolts and when I put it on the stand and spun the wheels by hand I didn't notice any bends in the wheels. Any suggestions where to start looking or adjusting? I can get some pics of where the setup is now if it would help.
Front tire out of balance......


686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI
willykiller is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime VIP
 
Spruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 340
I found a little bit of slop in the steering stem at the pitman arm and torqued back to 80 lb/ft. (probably had about 50 on it) and it seems to have tightend up slightly but there is still a tiny bit detectable. I'm wondering if the last time I went to Hatfield McCoy and had some parts on the front loosen up (including the steering stem nut) if it didn't hurt the splines? Anyone else run into a problem like that?

2004 719
11:1 CP piston
WK ported head
CT Pipe/jets
Stg 2 Hotcam
Proflow foam filter and Outerwear
12/39 sidewinder titanium sprockets and smart chain
Barnett clutch, hinson basket
+4 axle, +2 LSR arms,
Jogaca Custom YFZ450 front shocks
Adjustable rear link
Renthal bars
Big F'in TEETH!

55hp, 44lb/ft
Spruce is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime VIP
 
Spruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
I found a little bit of slop in the steering stem at the pitman arm and torqued back to 80 lb/ft. (probably had about 50 on it) and it seems to have tightend up slightly but there is still a tiny bit detectable. I'm wondering if the last time I went to Hatfield McCoy and had some parts on the front loosen up (including the steering stem nut) if it didn't hurt the splines? Anyone else run into a problem like that?
Willy doesn't seem to be coming from only one side but pretty even across both front wheels. Never had an issue like this before the hatfield ride when everyone was getting their bikes shaken to $%^t! The wheels are clean, free of bends that I can see, and nothing stuck anywhere in a tire bead that I can find. Its a pretty hard wobble at what I would consider to be a low speed to be out of balance, but who knows? Maybe I'll swap on my old factory fronts to see if it makes a difference.

2004 719
11:1 CP piston
WK ported head
CT Pipe/jets
Stg 2 Hotcam
Proflow foam filter and Outerwear
12/39 sidewinder titanium sprockets and smart chain
Barnett clutch, hinson basket
+4 axle, +2 LSR arms,
Jogaca Custom YFZ450 front shocks
Adjustable rear link
Renthal bars
Big F'in TEETH!

55hp, 44lb/ft
Spruce is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,828
If the caster isnt set right the front end can become unstable at high speeds. Are your arms caster adjustable?

2003 Limited Edition Raptor
Kenz 720cc 11:1 stroker, +1 valves, Mega Cycle X-4 Cam, Sparks 6x Big Core, Keihin 35mm FCR's. 158 mains, 52 pilots, fuel screws 2 turns out.

97 Banshee
F.A.S.T. Dune Ported 4mill, CPI Inframes, Keihin PWK33's, Direct Drive Lockup. 158 mians, CEL needles second clip, #48 pilots, air scews 2.0 turns out.
03LimitedEditionRaptor is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 10:59 AM
I am unique

 
willykiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 22,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
Willy doesn't seem to be coming from only one side but pretty even across both front wheels. Never had an issue like this before the hatfield ride when everyone was getting their bikes shaken to $%^t! The wheels are clean, free of bends that I can see, and nothing stuck anywhere in a tire bead that I can find. Its a prettyhard wobble at what I would consider to be a low speed to be out of balance, but who knows? Maybe I'll swap on my old factory fronts to see if it makes a difference.
Tire balance can cause shimmy. I've seen large rubber balls build up inside the tire after driving.


686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI
willykiller is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime VIP
 
Spruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 340
Lol I think I found the problem. Apparently at some point the front tires were locked up on pavement somewhere and flat-spotted both of them. If I over inflate them slightly it helps. Looks like I need new fronts.

2004 719
11:1 CP piston
WK ported head
CT Pipe/jets
Stg 2 Hotcam
Proflow foam filter and Outerwear
12/39 sidewinder titanium sprockets and smart chain
Barnett clutch, hinson basket
+4 axle, +2 LSR arms,
Jogaca Custom YFZ450 front shocks
Adjustable rear link
Renthal bars
Big F'in TEETH!

55hp, 44lb/ft
Spruce is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 07:41 AM
I am unique

 
willykiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 22,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
Lol I think I found the problem. Apparently at some point the front tires were locked up on pavement somewhere and flat-spotted both of them. If I over inflate them slightly it helps. Looks like I need new fronts.
Which basically means tire balance.


686 three plugger with HV porting, 39 FCRS, Curtis Sparks exhaust, Dyna FS CDI
willykiller is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Spring Valley IL
Posts: 305
Send a message via Skype™ to Nick.koehler6
A-arm bushings maybe? Mine did the same thing then I replaced those:P

If you haven't crashed, You ain't going fast enough
Nick.koehler6 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 11:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Woodytick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Killeen (Fort Hood) Texas
Posts: 139
Send a message via Yahoo to Woodytick
mine had the same thing when i bought it. the bushings in the arms where completely shot & the bearing in the neck was bad also. i replaced both & now it is like new again.

2002 Raptor 686 AKA: "The Basket Case":
Hot Cam Stage 1, K&N Filter, Shorty Muzzy Slip-On Muffler, Tusk Heavy Duty Clutch, Shaved Front Fenders, Razr Tires, Top Gun Customs Lowering Kit, Dr D Reverse Lever, ASV Levers, Nerf Bars


2005 YFZ 501 Stroker:
Hot Cam Stage 2, K&N Filter, Full Curtis Sparks Exhaust, CP 12.5:1 Piston, 98mm Big Bore Kit, HR +4.4mm Crank, Kibblewhite Valves & Springs, Ported & Polished Head
Woodytick is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
squirly shimmy roostinraptor Raptor 660 Suspension 1 11-29-2009 01:41 PM
Front end shimmy Flyinacez Raptor 660 Suspension 12 06-01-2008 08:00 AM
Tied down front end to help keep the front end down Ice4me Raptor 700 Discussion 4 04-17-2007 01:48 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome