Axle 101....Installation of Extended Axle - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Axle 101....Installation of Extended Axle

Ok here is an installation of a Durablue +4 extended rear axle. I had a few friends who were useless with the instructions so I figured to post the installation step by step:

1) Get a monkey wrench and loosen the large nuts holding the axle in place. 2002 and up will require an allen key to remove the two small screws in the nut. Then, once you have loosened the nuts, jack up the bike so that the rear wheels are off the ground. Then, remove the rear tires so that you have access to the axle.

2)Then completely remove the nuts as in Figure A. After doing so, you will want to remove the right nut holding the hub in place as shown in Figure B. Once you have done that, the hub should slide right off. If not, gently knock it with a hammer evenly on all sides to loosen it:

3)Check out the difference of the two axles:

4)Remove the posi lock from the Extended axle. It should slide right off, if not evenly on all sides, tap it until it falls loose:

5)Slide the axle through the sproket hub. Before doing so, you might want to check your seals in your axle carrier to make sure they are intact:

6)Make sure you slide it all the way through so that the clamp touches the sproket hub as shown below:

7)This is how it looks from the other end:

Then slide on the posi lock as shown in figure D and then clasp the ring into place right under the posi lock. If you look closely, you will see the grove where it should go. Then tighten the allen key but make sure you dont tighten it too much. Then, make sure you add on all the spacers (figure E) that they give you to be able to get the +4:

9)Replace the hubs as you have removed them from the stock axle. Put back on your tires and your off:

BY the way, its easier when you have two people while doing all this so when you are loosening the nuts that hold the axle into place, the one guy can sit on the bike holding down the brakes.

Have fun and good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 04:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to sikraptor700
Re: Axle 101....Installation of Extended Axle

Nice how to!

2006 Raptor 700R<br />Modded-Thats all you need to know<br />
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 06:24 PM

really well done, didn't know the axle came out without pulling the entire carrier apart,
good time to check bearings and prevent this.......

[attachment deleted by admin]

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 07:02 AM

Great information guys! It would be nice if we could get a How-To section with a bunch of articles like this. Nice work.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Firstraptor,

that was an ugly scene. Looks as though its a part from a fighter jet from WW2
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 08:56 PM

Guess you have to expect things like that when you buy a used bike.
Can you imagine, i couldn't get the chain to stay adjusted, made enuogh noise to be heard over the bike and a moded 400 ex.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:13 PM

I installed a durablue X-33 with hubs on my 01 raptor. The axle has never bent but the pin drive hubs are junk. The hub bolt broke and let the hub spin on the axle and tore the hub and axle hole up. Durablue will not fix either one, so now I have a $450 piece of junk.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid
I installed a durablue X-33 with hubs on my 01 raptor. The axle has never bent but the pin drive hubs are junk. The hub bolt broke and let the hub spin on the axle and tore the hub and axle hole up. Durablue will not fix either one, so now I have a $450 piece of junk.
If you torque the hubs to the specified 60-90 ft-lbs and use the oem equipment that shouldnt happen. Durablue states they will not warranty the hubs on the x33, something you should have made a note of before buying it. I've been running that same axle for 3 years now. I learned the hard way about the torque specs and my cast hubs got sloppy. I purchased billet hubs and I pay close attention to the torque specs and I havent had any problems. Are you sure the axle hole is out of shape? Usually it's the hub that goes bad, I'd try a new set of hubs. There is also a set of inner holes, so worst case scenario you can still use them and just have a shorter rear end.

Mike

Photobucket is trash now, use something else.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 03:52 PM

The bolts were torqued right. The right side is still tight. I could use the outer holes but then it wont fit in the shed and I ride in tight wooded trials. The hubs lasted 3 years. We have a machine shop at work, im going to see if they can fix the axle.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 03:57 PM

Antisieze...dont forget it on all that splined stuff!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode