FLIPPED LINK My mods & pics of how to do this without things binding! - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 300 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

FLIPPED LINK My mods & pics of how to do this without things binding!

I have read heaps about doing the flipped link mod to the 660, & problems with binding, & yes it's good, no its bad etc.
So I figured lets do it, doccument the process, & mod as required to prevent any binding happening if the suspension bottoms out.

Wash the Quad well first, a clean bike is easier to work on (trust me, you will still find dirt/sand/dogshit etc in all sorts of crevices & hidden corners)
1/ Support the Quad on a stand or box that will lift the rear wheels off the ground
2/ For ease of access remove the rear wheels (I didn't, but it would have helped)
3/ Unbolt the rear suspension linkage complete from the swingarm (1 bolt) & the chassis (2 bolts)
4/ Remove the complete linkage from the quad
(see pic 1)

5/ Remove the bottom pivot bolt for the shock
6/ Turn the linkage over & put the bolt back in, but don't put the nut back on
(see pic 3)
7/ Pivot the link on the shock until the link hits the bottom spring carrier
8/ With a vivid marker draw a line around the bottom spring carrier to clear it by about 1/4" (6mm)
(see pic 4)
9/ Use a linishing belt or grinding wheel to grind away the metal in the marked off area
Keep the edges smooth & the shape nicely rounded, or you could create a stress point where the link might ultimately fracture (if you keep bottoming things out)
10/ Reassemble & check the clearance
(See pic 7)
11/ Strip Clean & paint the ground edges so they won't rust
12/ Clean out all the bushes, bolts washers, spacers etc (or you'll have grit & rubbish in all the linkages & they will grind themselves apart
13/ Grease & re-assemble the complete linkage
14/ Re-fit to the quad, & then give several shots of grease into each grease nipple to ensure plenty of fresh grease is in all the pivot points

The back of your quad will now sit 2-3" lower, & the handling will be significantly improved due to getting the centre of gravity lower.

Widen the back end, widen the front end & fit YFZ shocks, & you'll be set to rock!

Click on these links for a better description of binding concerns and fixes:
https://www.raptorforum.com/forums/sh...&postcount=256
https://www.raptorforum.com/forums/sh...&postcount=258

Not to beat a dead horse and start another thread about flipping the 02'-05' rear shock link but there seems to be two sides to check for binding and possible grinding to safely accomplish the flipped link mod. The thread starts perfect for the steel clearance check but does not mention the possible binding on the backside of the shock end with the dog bone. Not sure why but it seems like some people need to only modify the steel piece and others only the aluminum dog bone and yet others need to do both. I bought a 2002 link and shock from ebay with the link already flipped but the shock rod is bent and from the looks of it, it was caused by the second area that should have been checked for binding, the dog bone to back of rebound adjuster. I have attached a picture of the area in question with red circles around the problem area. As for the new sticky it might be helpful to others to have the original post with the descriptions of this other issue and how people solved it with as many pictures as possible of what people did and how much they ground off with no issues or for that matter even if it went bad it could help people stay away from the same mistake. The current sticky has a good description of the second area of bind but not till page 17 or so. Hope this at least helps others read the whole sticky before trying the mod. Once again thank you to every one for the great info and making the Raptor that much nicer to own, ride and work on.

I machined off about 4mm at the corner of the raised area tapering back towards the spring collar with no issues. This might help for any one looking to grind off some of this area to help with clearance but afraid to go to deep and wreck the shock (this is a 2002 shock). I also grooved the dog bone a bit to help just in case. I will try to mount this up to the raptor this weekend and take pictures at both full rebound and full jounce to show the clearance on the steel bracket and the clearance on the dog bone to the back of the shock look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flipped Link 001.jpg
Views:	2781
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	18033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flipped Link 003.jpg
Views:	2305
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	18035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flipped Link 004.jpg
Views:	2528
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	18037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flipped Link 007.jpg
Views:	2554
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	18039  
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb Flipped Link 001.jpg_thumb (39.2 KB, 771 views)
File Type: jpg_thumb Flipped Link 003.jpg_thumb (38.9 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg_thumb Flipped Link 004.jpg_thumb (38.0 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg_thumb Flipped Link 007.jpg_thumb (36.7 KB, 437 views)

2003 Raptor 660LE
727cc
105mm 14.5:1 CP piston
X-4 cam & no decomp
39mm FCR's
HV ported Willykiller 3-Plug head
Ferrea SS Valves
Custom In-Frame Duals
GYTR Clutch

Faast Flexx Bars
Custom +3+1 A-Arms
CCP Steering Damper (I must post a thread on how to....)
450 Front Calipers
+2 Extended Swingarm
G-Force Axle & Hubs.
Axis Pro-Air Shocks
Tusk Nerfs

Last edited by Mad Dog; 03-03-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 300 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 08:39 PM

Re: FLIPPED LINK My mods & pics of how to do this without things binding!

Great write up! I might have to do this mod. I just got my YFZ shocks so this might compliment them well.

<br />03 660<br />-FMF Powercore 4<br />-Twin-Air Pro Dual Filter (no lid)<br />-Dynojet Stage 2<br />-YFZ shocks<br />-Blingstar Victory front bumper<br />-CRB aluminum scoops<br />-DG nerfs<br />-Holeshot XCT 22 rear, 23 front on C-Series<br />-+3 swinger (being powdercoated)<br />-Pro Design case saver<br />-Pro Taper Raptor bars with billet clamp<br />-Powermadd guards
post #3 of 300 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 10:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to 05rappy

wow im really thinking about doing this, what does everyone else think, good or bad

Mods::::: L&A one way, Rickey stator, YFZ Shocks, GYTR cluth, Renthal bars, HMF Pipe, FMF powerbomb header, ITP Holeshot HD Tires, Dyno Jet, pro design air filter, 2.5 rear wheel spacers

post #4 of 300 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 11:50 AM

what is the benefit of it?

post #5 of 300 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 01:24 PM

Well the benifit would be a lower center of gravity. Take you seat off and set on the bike it feels so much different besides the sharp pains

04 719,
Barkers+4. (Still straigh as an arrow)
Wiseco clutch basket.
Lock-up clutch
L&A oneway.
Oil mod for piston n rod.( Really works)
houser a arms
Durable axle (Stolen)
Razrs n Quadrocks all around.
EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE
Buy my parts they are cheap and like new.
post #6 of 300 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 02:25 PM

so this actually lowers the ride height without having to use a lowering link?

post #7 of 300 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 02:31 PM

Correct.

Good write up Phil.

~Brian

2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum
post #8 of 300 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 02:51 PM

now, does this still give you optimun suspension travel? and how likely is the link to hit the ground on big jumps?

post #9 of 300 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

If you grind the Link correctly, you still have full suspension travel without anything binding.
I had my shock preload wound right off & I could bottom the shock without anything hitting!

The bike sits 2" lower, thats a substantial reduction in the height to the centre of gravity.
With the YFZ shocks or other to lower the front end the same amount, the change in handling is significantly improved

2003 Raptor 660LE
727cc
105mm 14.5:1 CP piston
X-4 cam & no decomp
39mm FCR's
HV ported Willykiller 3-Plug head
Ferrea SS Valves
Custom In-Frame Duals
GYTR Clutch

Faast Flexx Bars
Custom +3+1 A-Arms
CCP Steering Damper (I must post a thread on how to....)
450 Front Calipers
+2 Extended Swingarm
G-Force Axle & Hubs.
Axis Pro-Air Shocks
Tusk Nerfs
post #10 of 300 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 11:07 AM

I have ran this setup for about 4 years now. You can definitly tell it squats lower, and I have hit jumps up to 45 ft in length without any problems. I know others may have different opinions but I can only speak from my experience with it. I am glad that I did it and don't plan on changing anytime soon.

02' 660, Renthals, Armidillo skids, K&N, Chopped Front Fenders, AC front bumper, DG rear,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode